Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSA and Glen Schneider looking to bring Cosmos into the club.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSA and Glen Schneider looking to bring Cosmos into the club.

Why the hell am I hearing that SUSA and Glen Schneider are looking to splash the cash again and buy New York Cosmos academy. I have parents whispering to me that the club has been has approached by GS and SUSA staff about acquiring the vacant teams and bringing them to the new Central Islip facility.

Who knows what GS is promising and to who he is promising it to but I feel bad for my my fellow Cosmos parents. In two years time we went from being a fully funded DA program with all the bell and whistles to being on the verge of becoming a +3k tuition payment to help finance the SUSA complex.

Cosmos parents should think long and hard about their players becoming part of the numbers game at the SUSA soccer machine. I offer this advice as a former SUSA parent who left over four years ago to join the Cosmos. We were there when SUSA expanded before, the new teams did not play well the first year and it was chalked up to the move. Year two, players started getting shuffled and some left, teams were still not good. Year three, they were all wearing the SUSA blue.

I have voiced my opinion to my fellow parents but I do not know who is on what side of the fence. I do not know what GS has promised and who he has promised it to. I do know how he deals with people. Yesterday, Albertson was promised the world, today he is promising Cosmos’ parents everything, who know about tomorrow. One thing is true though, he can’t keep his promises with everyone. GS has proven that with past actions, some of his deals have been straight up sleazy and only served the interest of a few.

Hopefully, some of my fellow parents read this and decide to proceed with caution. I don’t know a better option but I do know that SUSA is not for us. We don’t need to make any rash decision, it’s not like there are matches approaching. I would prefer a club much smaller then SUSA that allows us the freedom to do what we want as a team. If we want to travel, we travel. If we want to play a particular tournament, we can. I don’t want to be a team that is required to play in every damn No-frill SUSA tournament they got just to keep the overhead down.

I know this is low hanging fruit but please share how SUSA really runs new teams into the ground. I know our shelf life is limited if we go there but maybe if some of my fellow parents hear it from people who have been through it, they may take more consideration.

Thanks
    Cosmos’ Parent

I don’t care if you are from the Cosmos, Albertson, or any other club. Anybody who is promised something today from SUSA and company will have something totally different in a years time. Boys/Girls, it doesn’t matter. Glen will promise you the world and when it doesn’t “work” out as originally planned the blame will be placed on some “outside” factor. Guess what. That’s all fine and dandy but your kid gets lost in the system for a year or two until you wise up and go to a better program. My advice is just go to a better program.

Comment

SUSA's pattern is quite clear.

1) Buy, bribe, etc teams/clubs to become SUSA affiliated.

2) If their old coach/trainer came long for the ride, have them continue training with their old coach/trainer only now for $3k a year as opposed to the hundreds a year that they paid before, despite having the same exact training done on second rate fields.

3) Whatever few strong players exist, have them start guest playing with the SUSA "A" and "B" teams, sometimes leaving the team they came over with short players for their own games.

4) At the end of the playing year, fire the old coach/trainer and have some low level SUSA trainer take over the team. The new trainer, stretched thin with all the C and D teams that they have to handle is often switching practice locations at the last minute, if not cancelling the practices outright. But still diligently collecting the $3k a year in fees. And have you also participate in every winter league, summer league, SUSA tournament and so on. And you still find your team scrambling for players every game.

In short, if you are on the A team, even the B team. It's not bad. But if your kid isn't at that level, you are just a revenue source.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        SUSA's pattern is quite clear.

1) Buy, bribe, etc teams/clubs to become SUSA affiliated.

2) If their old coach/trainer came long for the ride, have them continue training with their old coach/trainer only now for $3k a year as opposed to the hundreds a year that they paid before, despite having the same exact training done on second rate fields.

3) Whatever few strong players exist, have them start guest playing with the SUSA "A" and "B" teams, sometimes leaving the team they came over with short players for their own games.

4) At the end of the playing year, fire the old coach/trainer and have some low level SUSA trainer take over the team. The new trainer, stretched thin with all the C and D teams that they have to handle is often switching practice locations at the last minute, if not cancelling the practices outright. But still diligently collecting the $3k a year in fees. And have you also participate in every winter league, summer league, SUSA tournament and so on. And you still find your team scrambling for players every game.

In short, if you are on the A team, even the B team. It's not bad. But if your kid isn't at that level, you are just a revenue source.
        I agree, Susa may not be the best option for C & D team level players. Can find much more budget friendly options at that level.

Comment

Without the DA slot, what asset does the Cosmos Academy have that would be worth purchasing, vs. just recruiting the players and not paying anything?

Comment

Without the DA slot, what asset does the Cosmos Academy have that would be worth purchasing, vs. just recruiting the players and not paying anything?
            Let's say they spend $50k buying out the remnants of the academy. At $3k tuition for each player that joins SUSA, the break even point is just under 20 players if they can squeeze them on to existing teams.

Comment

Let's say they spend $50k buying out the remnants of the academy. At $3k tuition for each player that joins SUSA, the break even point is just under 20 players if they can squeeze them on to existing teams.
              Basic fundamentals of supply and demand-If supply decreases and demand remains unchanged, then it leads to higher equilibrium price and lower quantity. Most effective way to decrease supply is to take control of it. These are smart businessmen and they're not screwing around.

Comment

I don’t think they are talking about whether Susa and GS are good businessmen. I think the original intent was that a lateral move over to Susa is a definitive step down for those players. I tend to agree. Fact is with those big clubs it is very easy to be forgotten about, not because of level of play but because of the never ending turnstile of players.

If I was Cosmos Player or parent, I wouldn’t entertain it. Go find somewhere else to showcase your talents.

Comment

Families do what they want. No family is just forking over 3K to Susa unless they want to play for Susa. I don't think any family feels obligated to join Susa over some back room deal. If they do, they are foolish.

Comment

Families do what they want. No family is just forking over 3K to Susa unless they want to play for Susa. I don't think any family feels obligated to join Susa over some back room deal. If they do, they are foolish.
                    That’s sounds good unless they have a coach or parent in their back pocket who is strongly “suggesting” where the team should go. That’s Susa’s MO, make deals with a few to move the mass.

...but like you said, if a Cosmo teams moves to Susa under similar conditions they are fools and deserve what they get.

Comment

That’s sounds good unless they have a coach or parent in their back pocket who is strongly “suggesting” where the team should go. That’s Susa’s MO, make deals with a few to move the mass.

...but like you said, if a Cosmo teams moves to Susa under similar conditions they are fools and deserve what they get.
                      This ^^^^^

In short, if your coach, trainer or one of your team parents is advocating that the team move over to SUSA, they are almost certainly getting cash under the table from SUSA to tell you that. They are profiting off of you.

Comment

Why would you even consider Susa.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                          i don’t care if you are from the cosmos, albertson, or any other club. Anybody who is promised something today from susa and company will have something totally different in a years time. Boys/girls, it doesn’t matter. Glen will promise you the world and when it doesn’t “work” out as originally planned the blame will be placed on some “outside” factor. Guess what. That’s all fine and dandy but your kid gets lost in the system for a year or two until you wise up and go to a better program. My advice is just go to a better program.
                          robber baron!

Comment

Why would you even consider Susa.

Because LARRY MILLER says they are great

Comment

Because LARRY MILLER says they are great
                              Susa is now by far the most expensive club not only on Long Island (Alby was), but probably the whole northeast and by a lot.

And he is pushing them? I thought he was about the kids and families? He has always spoken up about the costs and now he says nothing?

World Class is significantly less and so is FC Stars. Not sure about the other clubs in Ct or Mass.

Susa will be $4000+ I bet before team fees and travel I bet after a modest increase over last year, but that will be a big savings over Alby, so easy to sell to Alby families.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X