• Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS new DA home, boys first than girls..interesting plam

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/us-...223613761.html

love me some juicy plam

Comment

Great

The Timbers has done such a great job at youth soccer to date I am glad it will continue. All that up and coming American talent. Let’s make American Soccer Great Again !!

Comment

Girls DA teams - those few that remain - are being absorbed by the lower level DPL - which is a league basically for GDA "B" teams. Seems about perfect for the Thornz Asylum teams.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/form...cademy-league/

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Girls DA teams - those few that remain - are being absorbed by the lower level DPL - which is a league basically for GDA "B" teams. Seems about perfect for the Thornz Asylum teams.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/form...cademy-league/
          But there’s no DPL in the northwest so is it an option for Thorns?

Comment

But there’s no DPL in the northwest so is it an option for Thorns?
            Reign may need a new home too. Seattle ECNL teams don't want them to be admitted to ECNL, and WYS has rules that essentially bar Reign's recruiting practices. While Reign was in GDA that wasn't an issue, but if Reign plays in RCL or PSPL, there will be significant restrictions placed on their ability to attract talent. (In Washington state leagues, it is illegal to approach another team's player at any time without the other club's permission. During tryout period, clubs may recruit other clubs' players only if the player approaches the club first; at all other times any such contact is forbidden).

Comment

The Timbers has done such a great job at youth soccer to date I am glad it will continue. All that up and coming American talent. Let’s make American Soccer Great Again !!
              Haha- TA is the worst mls academy in the country- it’s not the lack of talent available- it’s the bs politics and substandard coaching and processes that are used.

Comment

Haha- TA is the worst mls academy in the country- it’s not the lack of talent available- it’s the bs politics and substandard coaching and processes that are used.
                Source- an opinion article we’ve already discussed

I’m sorry your kid didn’t get invited to even tryout

Comment

Source- an opinion article we’ve already discussed

I’m sorry your kid didn’t get invited to even tryout
                  I'm sorry that you can't see the ineptitude for the patheticness.

Oh, and yes my kid did get invited. 3 times to be exact. Declined all 3 times.

Comment

I'm sorry that you can't see the ineptitude for the patheticness.

Oh, and yes my kid did get invited. 3 times to be exact. Declined all 3 times.
                    Sure anonymous poster, sure.

My kid isn’t good enough for the team but I’m not bagging on something I don’t know and referencing an article by someone who also doesn’t know.

That’s how adults act.

Comment

Actual Text and content about the plan.

As common (and correct) as it has become to rip U.S. Soccer these days, last week’s decision to discontinue its Development Academy is probably the right one.
                      The program included almost 200 boys and girls teams from coast to coast, and MLS is now stepping into the void by creating an elite youth competition of its own.
                      The news was sudden and came as a shock to most.
                      “This wasn’t planned at all,” said Fred Lipka, who oversees youth development for MLS, in an interview with American Soccer Now.
                      At the same time, this move had been in the works for years.
                      While the COVID-19 pandemic and the financial devastation it’s caused undoubtedly sped up the process, the truth is the DA was already living on borrowed time. Established in 2007, when MLS boasted just 13 teams, none of whom had their own dedicated training facilities, the program was necessary then. It was never supposed to be forever.

U.S. Soccer is ceding control of youth development to MLS, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. (Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
                      More
                      In Europe and South America, national governing bodies rarely play much more than an administrative role when it comes to the process of player development. There are notable exceptions, of course. The national football center in Clairefontaine, France, one of 12 academies overseen by the French Football Federation, counts World Cup winners Olivier Giroud, Thierry Henry and Kylian Mbappe among its alumni.
                      For the most part, though, individual clubs have proven to be better-positioned to churn out blue-chip pros. Ajax might be better-known as a talent mill than as a four-time European champion. Argentinean titans Boca Juniors and River Plate have, by design, sold scores of players profit. And while Real Madrid’s Champions League-winning teams of recent vintage have been stocked with established stars purchased for hundreds of millions of Euros, Spanish rival Barcelona has enjoyed a similar level of success in large part by turning homegrown prospects like Xavi Hernandez, Gerard Pique and Lionel Messi (among others) into global icons.
                      This phenomenon is already happening — albeit on a smaller scale — in MLS, where frugal clubs like FC Dallas and the Philadelphia Union are able to consistently punch above their weight by being better than their more affluent competitors at identifying and nurturing youngsters.
                      MLS has doubled in size since the DA was launched. It will swell to 30 teams over the next few years. These days, more MLS clubs boast sparkling state-of-the-art training headquarters than do not.
                      Every MLS team had youth squads that competed in U.S. Soccer’s DA. For years, rumblings circulated that the league planned to break away and from its own operation. To appease the pros, the federation split its under-19 boys division into two tiers last August, with MLS-affiliated sides occupying the premier category, much to the chagrin of stand-alone youth outfits.
                      The new MLS youth competition will also include both MLS academy and non-academy teams, a pleasant surprise. MLS is also “evaluating the potential to provide future competition opportunities for girls,” the league said, seemingly (and unfortunately) as an afterthought.
                      It’s a daunting task. Scouring all of the U.S. and Canada — the three Canadian MLS teams will participate in the new endeavor, as they had in the DA — for promising athletes is a massive undertaking just because of the sheer size of the two countries.
                      Still, it makes sense that MLS (and eventually, USL, NWSL and Canadian Premier League) clubs would begin to do the heavy lifting in this space. Backed by billionaire owners in many cases, they have far more resources available than a non-profit like U.S. Soccer.
                      Far more incentive, too. It is after all the clubs, not national teams, that bank the cash when a player is sold to a team in one of Europe’s elite leagues. It may have happened sooner than anyone expected, but it was always inevitable.

Comment

Can you elaborate more on your comment about the substandard coaching and process that the Timbers use?

Comment

Can you elaborate more on your comment about the substandard coaching and process that the Timbers use?
                          I will elaborate. Your process in recruiting players seems overly complicated. Most anyone can watch an hour of soccer or even just a few minutes of futsal and see who the stud players are. It is very clear who the best athletes are and who can handle the ball with ease. Make is simple, just recruit the studs you see. Sweet talk the parents and sign em up. You guys have these strange, convoluted tryouts, show up to random practices and games for a few minutes, then after all is said and done you often pick kids that, well, just aren't that athletic or skilled. If that is too hard, just ask grandma on the sidelines who the most talented player besides her grandson is. You somehow think you can miraculously make the goofy 6 foot tall 11 year old into the next soccer star. Stop taking on projects. Once a kid is 11 or 12 years old, the ship has sailed. Make your life easy.

Comment

I will elaborate. Your process in recruiting players seems overly complicated. Most anyone can watch an hour of soccer or even just a few minutes of futsal and see who the stud players are. It is very clear who the best athletes are and who can handle the ball with ease. Make is simple, just recruit the studs you see. Sweet talk the parents and sign em up. You guys have these strange, convoluted tryouts, show up to random practices and games for a few minutes, then after all is said and done you often pick kids that, well, just aren't that athletic or skilled. If that is too hard, just ask grandma on the sidelines who the most talented player besides her grandson is. You somehow think you can miraculously make the goofy 6 foot tall 11 year old into the next soccer star. Stop taking on projects. Once a kid is 11 or 12 years old, the ship has sailed. Make your life easy.
                            So what you are saying is you haven’t got the foggiest idea at all.

I’m sorry your kid didn’t get invited or make the team.

Comment

I hope whoever is posting this ignorant dinosaur bullsh!t is a parent and not a coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X