Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers Discovery Program

Does anyone have thoughts on the Timbers "Discovery Program"? Is this a new program? How were kids identified? Will there be a separate 08 team for 2020 or is it only combined with the 07 group? Is there a difference between Timbers-affiliated clubs and non-Timbers affiliated clubs for selection (ie do Timbers clubs get priority)?

Also, historically, how much turnover happens in the younger TA age groups from year to year?

Never heard of it, but I wouldn’t expect too since my son is at a non-Timbers club. Interesting I guess to see what happens since the top 07, 08, and 09 teams are all non-Timbers clubs as well.

There is some turnover each year, varies year to year I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Does anyone have thoughts on the Timbers "Discovery Program"? Is this a new program? How were kids identified? Will there be a separate 08 team for 2020 or is it only combined with the 07 group? Is there a difference between Timbers-affiliated clubs and non-Timbers affiliated clubs for selection (ie do Timbers clubs get priority)?

Also, historically, how much turnover happens in the younger TA age groups from year to year?
      Timbers will happily recruit from any club; they don't limit themselves to the Timbers Alliance.

If anything, the obstruction at non-Alliance clubs is from the clubs themselves--some of them view Timbers Academy as competition, and Timbers Academy scouting/recruiting efforts as poaching. Not all non-Alliance clubs have that sort of attitude, but some do.

As far as what teams the Academy will field next year and in what league--who knows? Timbers got the rug pulled out from this season when the Washington teams dropped DA (and the Oregon teams followed suit); below U15 they no longer had a league to play in. Whether or not they can play in BECNL at the younger age groups, I don't know (I doubt the Timbers much care about the ECNL/DA war, but both sides seem eager to force clubs to choose one side or the other). And since the Timbers are a for-profit entity, I'm pretty sure they can't play in OYSA.

Rumors abound that Peregrine will drop everything below U15, but I've heard from club coaches that this is not the case.

Comment

The Discovery Program is used in almost every MLS market in the country. The Portland Timbers are just arriving to the party late as usual. This is something they should have done since conception of their USSDA Program...but they thought they could do it differently. They are actively going to U11/12 games to watch for players. Coaches are now collaborating with Timbers staff.

Comment

they’ve been practicing before the 07 and 06 TA Not with them.

Comment

Never heard of it, but I wouldn’t expect too since my son is at a non-Timbers club. Interesting I guess to see what happens since the top 07, 08, and 09 teams are all non-Timbers clubs as well.

There is some turnover each year, varies year to year I think.
            (08' & 09' teams) are 9 v 9 teams and results do vary.
            BTW 3 of the top 5 (08) teams carry the 'timbers' logo in the fall league. Not much separating the top 5 teams.

07 TA has already raided the 'timber' monikered clubs of their top 07 players, what remains in the OYSA league is missing at least 15 to 20 of the top 07's in the state.
            So it's understandable if a 'timbers' labeled club is not at the top of the table this fall.

With no real end game on the plate for the Discovery program other than an extra day of training with some decent players. It's for show at best, for the time being.

Comment

It is unfortunate that the Timbers organization can't accomplish a clear communication of the program as they start it for this age group. I would assume it will follow much of the mold that the Sounders Discovery Program does - https://www.soundersfc.com/academy/teams/sdp

Comment

Talking Soccer

The Discovery Program is used in almost every MLS market in the country. The Portland Timbers are just arriving to the party late as usual. This is something they should have done since conception of their USSDA Program...but they thought they could do it differently. They are actively going to U11/12 games to watch for players. Coaches are now collaborating with Timbers staff.
                It is my understanding TA coaches are going to games, but it is pretty much to observe/scout kids who have already been identified. Not sure how they have been "identified" which isn't meant to be a snarky remark. Unlike some MLS discovery programs, the Timbers aren't exactly clear on how they are running this process.

Comment

It is my understanding TA coaches are going to games, but it is pretty much to observe/scout kids who have already been identified. Not sure how they have been "identified" which isn't meant to be a snarky remark. Unlike some MLS discovery programs, the Timbers aren't exactly clear on how they are running this process.
                  The same way they did before. They are invited by the club's DOC who has already "identified" the player. sometimes they attend games but sometimes they come out to practice as well. You can usually tell when your team practice suddenly has the DOC and other club reps there and your team "DIVA" who never puts in any effort until the scrimmage suddenly outruns everyone in the warm-ups. The scout will be hidden somewhere out of view.

Comment

The same way they did before. They are invited by the club's DOC who has already "identified" the player. sometimes they attend games but sometimes they come out to practice as well. You can usually tell when your team practice suddenly has the DOC and other club reps there and your team "DIVA" who never puts in any effort until the scrimmage suddenly outruns everyone in the warm-ups. The scout will be hidden somewhere out of view.
                    So they only tell the kid who the scout is looking at and not the other kids on the team? That seems like a fair process.

Comment

What discovery program? Last I checked we not only have MLS squads picking our talent out of the NW but also bordering countries...so how do they "discover" these players? And why are we discussing a "new" discovery program?

Comment

So they only tell the kid who the scout is looking at and not the other kids on the team? That seems like a fair process.
                        Don't believe every jealous parent you read here. Labelling Timbers' prospects as "divas" or "bad attitudes" has long been a staple of this forum.

Comment

Don't believe every jealous parent you read here. Labelling Timbers' prospects as "divas" or "bad attitudes" has long been a staple of this forum.
                          I don't believe that every kid who is a Timbers' prospect is a diva. However, this isn't the first time I have heard that for the most part it is DOC's at certain clubs making the decision as to what players TA should be looking at and not the other way around. I have to question how legitimate of a process that is in identifying the best talent, considering the politics at certain clubs, and other clubs that aren't exactly cooperative when it comes to Timbers Academy.

Comment

I don't believe that every kid who is a Timbers' prospect is a diva. However, this isn't the first time I have heard that for the most part it is DOC's at certain clubs making the decision as to what players TA should be looking at and not the other way around. I have to question how legitimate of a process that is in identifying the best talent, considering the politics at certain clubs, and other clubs that aren't exactly cooperative when it comes to Timbers Academy.
                            DOCs often know which players on their clubs are worth promoting, and which aren't. Are you suggesting that some play favorites, and attempt to promote for reasons other than merit (including possibly trying to sandbag the Timbers and/or keep their top talent in house)?

Ideally, this should be a two-way conversation between the Timbers and the clubs.

Comment

I didn't mean to imply all targets were divas. My point was that you know a scout is watching when the type of kid who relies entirely on talent and never works hard, suddenly does. We have one such kid at our club who get praised constantly by the club to the point he thinks he doesn't have to put in the effort in training, so he walks during laps, bad mouths his teammates, doesn't complete drills, etc., talks when coach is talking, etc. But when a scout is coming, the DOC and coordinators are all there before the sessions, talking to the kid and the parents and then suddenly the kid is outrunning and outdrilling the rest of the team, being verbally supportive of the team and coach.

Not all scouting situations go this way, but if you witness this happening, there is PROBABLY a scout watching.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X