Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That’s the point, you’ll never know if it’s true. It’s someone bragging (or making it up) on an anonymous site. I’m sure stuff happens and you’ll never know the full story, but it is common or likely for most soccer players? Got to say no.
    Ivies all have aid calculators on their websites so you can see what you might possibly get. Since there is no merit or athletic money available it will be pretty accurate (assuming your income doesn't change a lot). It gets way more complicated when athletic and merit $ is involved - there you don't know for sure until offers roll out. I would always encourage kids to apply to financial reach schools just as they do academic reaches - sometimes a school might surprise you. Plus, if you have a broad range of options you will feel better about the one your end up choosing.

Comment

Personally I would (and I think a lot of people) would take the debt for an Ivy League degree. I’m sure if the family approached the ivys and told them the money they were getting at the LACs, Ivys would have upped the package

Comment

Personally I would (and I think a lot of people) would take the debt for an Ivy League degree. I’m sure if the family approached the ivys and told them the money they were getting at the LACs, Ivys would have upped the package
        No. They don't need to unless you have some kind of truly unique thing they want. But Ivy schools get tens of thousands of applications from the world's top achievers. They can just move down the list the the next person

Comment

Add GM to the list.

Comment

Add GM to the list.
            Unlike the others, I kind of see this one as rehab is going slow, it's going to a convoluted season even if there is one, and likely no post-season, so keep the year of eligibility and use it at the grad school she selects.

Comment

Where is she headed?

Comment

True story - Boston area family of 4 kids, one got into two Ivies. Both only gave decent FA for the first year (because they had another in school that one year but not the other years). It meant the student would have to take out nearly 90K in loans for the other three years (The family had some college savings but told their kids early on they will contribute X dollars to each kid's education and anything beyond that was on their own through loans, scholarships etc). Same student got amazing merit packages at two top LACs so they easily pay the remainder with the college savings. So, do you graduate with 80K in debt, or take one step lower and have no debt? As this student has plans for grad school it was a no brainer. With fees and interest you're talking about paying close to $1000 a month on loans for ten years.
                In today's world...take the money. Defaulting on student loans doesn't make a distinction where you went to school. Ivy education does not guarantee employment.

Comment

In today's world...take the money. Defaulting on student loans doesn't make a distinction where you went to school. Ivy education does not guarantee employment.
                  You could literally get a job doing anything with an Ivy League degree. If you have an opportunity to go to an ivy you should take it.

Comment

You could literally get a job doing anything with an Ivy League degree. If you have an opportunity to go to an ivy you should take it.
                    Nothing is 100%.

I know Ivy's that have a ton of debt and hate their McDonald's job as it isn't paying their bills. My uber guy has an Ivy degree. So does this dude...just arrested and unemployed...

https://nypost.com/2020/05/31/accuse...ucated-lawyer/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X