Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is soccer worth the risk?

If we get the green light that gatherings over 50 or whatever the threshold, is allowed May 01, is everyone dropping off their kids to play soccer?

I know I'm on a soccer forum and most everyone is a soccer enthusiast.

Obviously their won't be a vaccine for 6+ months. Maybe the kids will be playing soccer wearing respirators.

Is everyone is going to roll the dice and hope their son or daughter doesn't catch Covid?

I'm not trying to live in a cave for another year, but I am struggling with risking my daughter's and my family's health for the love of soccer. Would honestly like to hear others thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If we get the green light that gatherings over 50 or whatever the threshold, is allowed May 01, is everyone dropping off their kids to play soccer?

I know I'm on a soccer forum and most everyone is a soccer enthusiast.

Obviously their won't be a vaccine for 6+ months. Maybe the kids will be playing soccer wearing respirators.

Is everyone is going to roll the dice and hope their son or daughter doesn't catch Covid?

I'm not trying to live in a cave for another year, but I am struggling with risking my daughter's and my family's health for the love of soccer. Would honestly like to hear others thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.
    I’m hopeful that training in small groups on fields will be possible in a month or so, and that something more like the old normal will be possible by July.

I’m not sure flying to tournaments will be in the cards this summer, but hopefully it will be in July. But it may not be, and it’s entirely possible fall seasons will be cancelled, and that even if not there will be another wave of this in the winter.

I won’t be as worried about soccer as I will be about traveling for work. The risk of infection outdoors seems to be very low, and the risk to children and young people who are infected is very low. It’s a nasty disease for young people who get it (my college age daughter has a friend who has been laid up with it for three weeks), but not deadly in young people or even except very rarely amongst the age of parents of young people. (South Korea, for instance, has no deaths of anyone under 30, whereas the vast majority of mortalities are people over 80).

We need a lot more testing and a program for isolating infected people and tracing their contacts to do anything. With that, we can start moving again. South Korea reopened most businesses and is starting pro baseball next week, and their peak was about four weeks before ours.

Comment

Simply put, yes. Can't wait to get started again.

Comment

Big yes from our family! We have 4 kids that are ready to get back at it. They are tired of private training with no games. One of our older girls teammates parents are both doctors on the front lines of the coronavirus at two different hospitals and they as of about 2 weeks ago have no problem sending their kids back to soccer.

Comment

I think it will be ok in another month. I hoping by June the numbers of infected people will be low enough that we can hold practices without to much fear of spread. we'll see, would be awful to have a whole team catch and spread it.

For sure no travel tournaments this summer, maybe not until next spring.

Comment

none

I would assume every club is creating social distancing guidelines / requirements for all their coaches and players for when trainings start up again - as it will not be back to business as usual. And those clubs should enforce them strictly. Part of it will be a matter of field space and limiting training group sizes, etc. No more cramming 5000 kids into one field for those clubs that have operated that way. Hopefully the clubs are on top of it, and we can get back to some trainings soon with some thoughtfulness on how to approach it.

Comment

BTW....there will never be a "vaccine" that is the tool to protect everyone. Every year, thousands die of the average flu and there is a vaccine for that. Last year it was estimated that the flu vaccine was about 19% effective. Don't drive in a car this next year either, because after all, thousands die every year in car accidents. Time to get back out there soon.Let your kids starting playing soccer when it all gets back in action.

Comment

Some parents are not going to let their kids out of the house untill september and then only to go to school (if open). But they are also the parents that don't let their kids ride their bikes to school. My neighboor who is an ER nurse at a hospital that is seeing a lot of our covid patients points out that almost no one in the state under 20 years old gets the virus (3% of the cases per https://www.doh.wa.gov/emergencies/coronavirus ) and zero have died. She is ready to let her kids play soccer as soon as the government gives the green light for small group gathering (soccer training). Frankly I am more woried about the coaches health from this than my kids.

Stay safe everyone!

Comment

I think the kids will be able to train in a limited, safe way, and then ramp up as time goes on. The question is if parents will continue to congregate together on the sidelines. I have too many kids to stand around and watch practice, so I've always been amazed by the parental "devotion" some have...I will be even less likely to cluster with other parents now. I'd just be happy for my kids to play

Comment

I agree, the coaches have more to worry about than the kids. My club has about 6 coaches in their 60s and one around 70.

Comment

totally wrong, the flu vaccine and other vaccines are completely different because the flu mutates every year and there are actually dozens of flu viruses. so the flu vaccine each year is just a mix of flu viruses a scientific panel guesses will be around that year so it's true it's not that effective.

so far there's been no evidence that covid mutates so we should be able to create an extremely effective vaccine. as you know several viruses have been eliminated/nearly eliminated due to effective vaccines (smallpox, polio) or extremely reduced (measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) because these vaccines are all 90%+ effective. there was a time not too long ago that everyone in america got chicken pox in childhood, many of us among them and covid looks to be that it will be in the same group of diseases.

BTW....there will never be a "vaccine" that is the tool to protect everyone. Every year, thousands die of the average flu and there is a vaccine for that. Last year it was estimated that the flu vaccine was about 19% effective. Don't drive in a car this next year either, because after all, thousands die every year in car accidents. Time to get back out there soon.Let your kids starting playing soccer when it all gets back in action.

Comment

totally wrong, the flu vaccine and other vaccines are completely different because the flu mutates every year and there are actually dozens of flu viruses. so the flu vaccine each year is just a mix of flu viruses a scientific panel guesses will be around that year so it's true it's not that effective.

so far there's been no evidence that covid mutates so we should be able to create an extremely effective vaccine. as you know several viruses have been eliminated/nearly eliminated due to effective vaccines (smallpox, polio) or extremely reduced (measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) because these vaccines are all 90%+ effective. there was a time not too long ago that everyone in america got chicken pox in childhood, many of us among them and covid looks to be that it will be in the same group of diseases.
                        Yes, it is a flu cocktail. Most of the mutations if not all are from pigs since pigs can get both human flu and duck flu and there is your merry factory of death like H1N1.

I do not share your optimism about COVID-19. The vaccine is out at least 12 months, more likely 18 months. Corona viruses are not well studied like the flu. Will it mutate? Unknown.
                        There will be 2nd, 3rd+ wave of outbreaks like in other countries and we will be better equipped to handle them, like lightning strikes causing a fire and there. We can not keep our country closed. There isn't enough money or resources to sustain this country for 18 months locked down for a vaccine, even if it works. I think the words are acceptable loses here.

Comment

well coronaviruses ARE well studied, in particular SARS to which COVID-19 is very closely related has extensive research around it. no mutation of SARS has been seen and it's been around since 2003.

the vaccine timeframes of 12-18 months are only because of the extensive FDA testing requirements that's required in the US. other countries do not have the same restrictions (for better or for worse). there's already a dozen vaccines that are shown to work well in animals and are already in Phase 1 testing in humans.

one of these will be ready to go by Fall or even sooner in some overseas country where they're willing to take some minimal risks with vaccines. and if the FDA decides to declare emergency approval and take those same small risks it'll be available here, probably first to healthcare and other essential workers but soon to everyone.

Yes, it is a flu cocktail. Most of the mutations if not all are from pigs since pigs can get both human flu and duck flu and there is your merry factory of death like H1N1.

I do not share your optimism about COVID-19. The vaccine is out at least 12 months, more likely 18 months. Corona viruses are not well studied like the flu. Will it mutate? Unknown.
                          There will be 2nd, 3rd+ wave of outbreaks like in other countries and we will be better equipped to handle them, like lightning strikes causing a fire and there. We can not keep our country closed. There isn't enough money or resources to sustain this country for 18 months locked down for a vaccine, even if it works. I think the words are acceptable loses here.

Comment

STOP SPREADING WRONG INFORMATION ABOUT THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT!

The Coronavirus is mutating. I work in the medical field and it is well known that Covid-19 has mutated at least 8 times. These mutations are what allows scientists to track the spread path. If you don't know, don't make it up, it doesn't help anyone.

so far there's been no evidence that covid mutates so we should be able to create an extremely effective vaccine. as you know several viruses have been eliminated/nearly eliminated due to effective vaccines (smallpox, polio) or extremely reduced (measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) because these vaccines are all 90%+ effective. there was a time not too long ago that everyone in america got chicken pox in childhood, many of us among them and covid looks to be that it will be in the same group of diseases.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X