Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Recruiting For Girls

My daughter is a High School Freshman and is interested in playing soccer in college. She does not have ODP expierence. However, she starts for her club team. She is a center mid that is good at controlling the ball and distrbuting it to her forwards. Should she be emailing coaches right now or wait until her Sophmore year? What about attending camps this summer? Any advice would be helpful.

ODP has several opportunities coming up. check fysa website and odp there. you'll see the dates and locations. it is an experience anyway and perhaps this will give her more insight on what she really wants to do. otherwise, your club coach, if it is a good relationship, can direct you to better info. play HS for fun. will keep her in shape for club.

Comment

One: it is the athlete's responsibility to let the school know she is interested. Pro activity is critical.

Second, learn the recruiting rules. there are important do's and dont's for coaches and players when it comes to communication.

Third, be patient. it's at least a 2 year process and takes discipline and motivation on part of the athlete (and her family). She must be a good communicator who follows up.

fourth, take advantage of opportunities to be seen by schools she's interested in- Showcases, ID camps, informal visits, school sponsored camps etc.

fifth, and maybe most important- coaches look at grades. grades grades grades.

There's a lot more, but you would do well to sit down with people you know and talk extensively about their experience and seek guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        One: it is the athlete's responsibility to let the school know she is interested. Pro activity is critical.

Second, learn the recruiting rules. there are important do's and dont's for coaches and players when it comes to communication.

Third, be patient. it's at least a 2 year process and takes discipline and motivation on part of the athlete (and her family). She must be a good communicator who follows up.

fourth, take advantage of opportunities to be seen by schools she's interested in- Showcases, ID camps, informal visits, school sponsored camps etc.

fifth, and maybe most important- coaches look at grades. grades grades grades.

There's a lot more, but you would do well to sit down with people you know and talk extensively about their experience and seek guidance.
        one more: be sure she's serious about the commitment to play in college. if a kid gripes about 2 days of practice and weekend games now, she needs to understand what the college environmnet can be like- 5 days of training and a game, plus a loss of much of the 'social life' many dream of. our daughter got an eye-opener when she attended a D1 camp out of state for 5 days. Fun, but tough.

Comment

Has anyone had experience with these guys? Its 2400.00 for 4 years.

www.ncsasports.org

Comment

Contact Coaches Now

To the OP: When my Mia was in 8th grade, we had questions similiar to yours. We went ahead and sent emails to coaches at 8 colleges where we thought there might be a fit with our daughter based on the school's academics as well as their soccer programs. Seven of the coaches responded to us with overviews of how they recruit, what they look for and suggestions based on our questions. We were very pleasantly surprised at how "available" they were.

I'd suggest you do the same, contact some college coaches directly and ask your questions. Their answers will be more reliable than those on this board.

Comment

We expect the coaches to call and see our girls at tournaments. You have it backwards...the coaches come to you!

Comment

Has anyone had experience with these guys? Its 2400.00 for 4 years.

www.ncsasports.org
                Nothing you can't do yourself IF you are motivated to do the video finishing....they have a nice data base, but again....nothing you can't do.

Comment

College Recruiting For Girls

We expect the coaches to call and see our girls at tournaments. You have it backwards...the coaches come to you!
                  Please do not use this statement as fact for all girls soccer players.
                  First of all if a Coach is going to see your daughter play it is because either she is on a very highly ranked team or she has asked the coach to watch her play.
                  College coaches will watch a girl play for several years and track her progress for several years before they consider her a candidate for their college. Florida has many girls who are playing D1 higher level soccer and the demands are great on the athlete.
                  My daughter has gone through the process of Club Soccer, Regions III and College Recruitment and I can say without a doubt the most important ingredient for student athletes is grades . She will be entering her freshman year of college in the fall and will be attending a higher level D1 school where she was recruited for the soccer team.
                  She spoke to the head coach many times by calling him since coaches were not allowed to call her. Ask questions like: what positions are you looking to fill ? Is there any scholarship money available ? Speak to parents of student athletes . The major you chose will have a direct affect on the your time availabilty.
                  This is not a simple process. There are very few Clubs/ Coaches who are well informed about College procedures as well as connections at the D1,D2,D3 levels.
                  In Central Florida I know of a guy who helped us get informed and he didn't mind helping when he could. I'm guessing there are some parents who are well informed who would be helpful to those just entering the college prep area.
                  Ask a well informed parent who has gone through the process to speak to your team or club.
                  You will be pleasantly surprised at what you can learn from experienced parents/advisores.

Comment

Please do not use this statement as fact for all girls soccer players.
                    First of all if a Coach is going to see your daughter play it is because either she is on a very highly ranked team or she has asked the coach to watch her play.
                    College coaches will watch a girl play for several years and track her progress for several years before they consider her a candidate for their college. Florida has many girls who are playing D1 higher level soccer and the demands are great on the athlete.
                    My daughter has gone through the process of Club Soccer, Regions III and College Recruitment and I can say without a doubt the most important ingredient for student athletes is grades . She will be entering her freshman year of college in the fall and will be attending a higher level D1 school where she was recruited for the soccer team.
                    She spoke to the head coach many times by calling him since coaches were not allowed to call her. Ask questions like: what positions are you looking to fill ? Is there any scholarship money available ? Speak to parents of student athletes . The major you chose will have a direct affect on the your time availabilty.
                    This is not a simple process. There are very few Clubs/ Coaches who are well informed about College procedures as well as connections at the D1,D2,D3 levels.
                    In Central Florida I know of a guy who helped us get informed and he didn't mind helping when he could. I'm guessing there are some parents who are well informed who would be helpful to those just entering the college prep area.
                    Ask a well informed parent who has gone through the process to speak to your team or club.
                    You will be pleasantly surprised at what you can learn from experienced parents/advisores.

This is very helpful. Did your daughter play ODP or was she able to work around it? Also, what level did she play at her club? Was she on an RIII team?

Comment

College recruiting for girls

This is very helpful. Did your daughter play ODP or was she able to work around it? Also, what level did she play at her club? Was she on an RIII team?
                      My daughter tried out for ODP and made the State team although she later found out that many of the girls chosen for the State ODP team were okay but not great. I think we saw about 20% of the State ODP players go on to play on great teams. It is the great teams that get huge amounts of college coaches watching them on a frequent basis. When her team played Region III there were college coaches watching games and identifying players who they were interested in. The coaches then notified the teams coach who would passed on the message of interest. Generally the better teams also have girls that want to play in college. Let the college know of your interest but logicaly a college coach is going to watch games where he or she can view many good players . If your team is winning games by large margins then your team is in the wrong league. You need to be playing against the best competition to assess the teams ability. I know when my daughters team was ranked very high in State competition it was thought that when the team went to Region III they would do well. The team was beat time and time again but improved their level of play. The second year in Region III was a very good year and the girls learned a lot by being beaten by great teams from Ga, NC aand SC.
                      A big misconception is that you must be agreat scorer to be noticed. Not at all true and in fact defenders get noticed before most other positions. My daughter did not score a single goal on her club team the year before she was recruited by a D1 college. She set up many goals . If a player does a good job in their position she will get noticed
                      .Do your best to let colleges know of your daughters interest. The critical years in high school are the Sophmore-Junior years although colleges will select seniors as a last resort if a position has opened up. Also just because a player might have been a starter on their club team does not mean they will start in college. You earn your spot.

Comment

College Recruiting for girls

My daughter tried out for ODP and made the State team although she later found out that many of the girls chosen for the State ODP team were okay but not great. I think we saw about 20% of the State ODP players go on to play on great teams. It is the great teams that get huge amounts of college coaches watching them on a frequent basis. When her team played Region III there were college coaches watching games and identifying players who they were interested in. The coaches then notified the teams coach who would passed on the message of interest. Generally the better teams also have girls that want to play in college. Let the college know of your interest but logicaly a college coach is going to watch games where he or she can view many good players . If your team is winning games by large margins then your team is in the wrong league. You need to be playing against the best competition to assess the teams ability. I know when my daughters team was ranked very high in State competition it was thought that when the team went to Region III they would do well. The team was beat time and time again but improved their level of play. The second year in Region III was a very good year and the girls learned a lot by being beaten by great teams from Ga, NC aand SC.
                        A big misconception is that you must be agreat scorer to be noticed. Not at all true and in fact defenders get noticed before most other positions. My daughter did not score a single goal on her club team the year before she was recruited by a D1 college. She set up many goals . If a player does a good job in their position she will get noticed
                        .Do your best to let colleges know of your daughters interest. The critical years in high school are the Sophmore-Junior years although colleges will select seniors as a last resort if a position has opened up. Also just because a player might have been a starter on their club team does not mean they will start in college. You earn your spot.
                        great post ! Finally some constructive comments.

Comment

Thank you. This is great information. My daughter did not make ODP, which came as a surprise to everyone. She is an ouside back, and a heavy impact player on her team from that position. Not making ODP has her concerned, but does not seem to have her club coach concerned due to the team playing RIII and the tournaments / showcases she will be involved in. We know that college coaches aren't often recruiting at ODP games, it was the resume builder that she was looking for. She'll simply have to rely on other things for her resume.

Comment

Thank you. This is great information. My daughter did not make ODP, which came as a surprise to everyone. She is an ouside back, and a heavy impact player on her team from that position. Not making ODP has her concerned, but does not seem to have her club coach concerned due to the team playing RIII and the tournaments / showcases she will be involved in. We know that college coaches aren't often recruiting at ODP games, it was the resume builder that she was looking for. She'll simply have to rely on other things for her resume.
                            Good Grades help a lot...

Comment

Good Grades help a lot...
                              This is not men's college basketball or even football for that matter. Good grades mean everything. If your girl does not have good grades then the next girl with similiar skill level but with good grades will get the coach's attention.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X