Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tragic Story but a Must Read

My son started playing travel soccer at 9 years old. He was always good at it from the time he first kicked a ball at 4 years old. I remember watching him run around the field like a chicken with his head cut off, faster than most of the kids and with enough control to actually kick the ball into the goal periodically. My wife and I were excited about travel soccer - the travel, the competitive games, watching our son become a great player. Over the next 7 years, he played on a few different club teams changing once because we moved and another time because he wanted to be on a better team. He had moderate success, even making it to the State Final 4 as a U13. He played virtually every minute of every game and I attended most of them. I was one of those jackass parents who lived and died by how his son did on the pitch. Screamed at the refs, got into arguments with opposing parents, even embarassingly screamed at the other team's players. If my son's team lost, I was in a horrible mood and I'd scream at my son on the long drive home. But as much as an arse as I was, I enjoyed watching my boy play soccer more than doing anything else in my life...period. Like in the story "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven", when I die I hope that my eternity is spent on the sideline of a soccer field watching my son play a game.

At the age of 16, everything changed. He injured his knee in a high school game. He scored a goal on the play, but the keeper had come way out and fouled him hard (earning a red card), tearing his meniscus as we later found out. You just never expect the moments that will change your life forever. This was one of those moments for my son. The meniscus was shredded so he had to have surgery. That is when he first discovered drugs - whether it was the anesthesia cocktail for surgery or the post-surgery pain pills, we'll never know - but it flipped a switch in him. At that time, near the end of his sophomore year in high school, he was an honor student, ranked sixth in his class of about 250 and a star soccer player for his club and high school teams. Six months later, he was out of soccer completely, failing out of high school and addicted to drugs. Two years later, he is facing criminal charges as an adult which may put him behind bars for a long time. I had one time entertained the hope of a soccer scholarship to a small school for him. Now he will not even finish high school and my only hope is that he stays alive and perhaps one day is able to hold down a minimum wage job. What I wouldn't give to go back in time and change so many things. I would cherish every moment of watching him play. I would not miss a single game. I would ignore the refs, the other players, the other parents, and just enjoy watching him run and kick and compete and do what boys were meant to do. Soccer is a beautiful game and there is nothing more beautiful than watching your child play. Who cares if the ref misses an offsides call? Who cares if they don't make every pass picture perfect? Who cares if they whiff on a shot? Who cares if they lose one game or every game? Life is so short and time is so precious. You never know what is around the corner and when it will be the last time you watch your son play. I remember my son's last game. It was a scrimmage against another club team and he scored 3 goals. He had been complaining about stomach pain and feeling sick before and during the game - little did I know he was abusing prescription pills at that time. I knew things with him were changing but I was so naive.

This is not a message about keeping kids away from drugs. It's a message to savor the moment each and every time your kids play and forget about everything else - missed calls, missed passes, missed shots, etc etc. One day, sooner than you think, it will all be over and you'll long for just one more time to watch your kid play a beautiful game.

I have bared my soul here, albeit anonymously, in the hopes that maybe someone out there will rethink their behavior at their kid's next game, will take maybe a few extra minutes to savor the experience, will think twice about yelling at the ref the next time he misses an offsides or calls a throw-in the wrong way and instead of dissecting the game on the ride home will simply say "Wow, I just love to watch you play soccer."

For any of you that might know me, or think you know me and my son, I would ask that you pray for him and for my family. Right now we need all the help we can get.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son started playing travel soccer at 9 years old. He was always good at it from the time he first kicked a ball at 4 years old. I remember watching him run around the field like a chicken with his head cut off, faster than most of the kids and with enough control to actually kick the ball into the goal periodically. My wife and I were excited about travel soccer - the travel, the competitive games, watching our son become a great player. Over the next 7 years, he played on a few different club teams changing once because we moved and another time because he wanted to be on a better team. He had moderate success, even making it to the State Final 4 as a U13. He played virtually every minute of every game and I attended most of them. I was one of those jackass parents who lived and died by how his son did on the pitch. Screamed at the refs, got into arguments with opposing parents, even embarassingly screamed at the other team's players. If my son's team lost, I was in a horrible mood and I'd scream at my son on the long drive home. But as much as an arse as I was, I enjoyed watching my boy play soccer more than doing anything else in my life...period. Like in the story "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven", when I die I hope that my eternity is spent on the sideline of a soccer field watching my son play a game.

At the age of 16, everything changed. He injured his knee in a high school game. He scored a goal on the play, but the keeper had come way out and fouled him hard (earning a red card), tearing his meniscus as we later found out. You just never expect the moments that will change your life forever. This was one of those moments for my son. The meniscus was shredded so he had to have surgery. That is when he first discovered drugs - whether it was the anesthesia cocktail for surgery or the post-surgery pain pills, we'll never know - but it flipped a switch in him. At that time, near the end of his sophomore year in high school, he was an honor student, ranked sixth in his class of about 250 and a star soccer player for his club and high school teams. Six months later, he was out of soccer completely, failing out of high school and addicted to drugs. Two years later, he is facing criminal charges as an adult which may put him behind bars for a long time. I had one time entertained the hope of a soccer scholarship to a small school for him. Now he will not even finish high school and my only hope is that he stays alive and perhaps one day is able to hold down a minimum wage job. What I wouldn't give to go back in time and change so many things. I would cherish every moment of watching him play. I would not miss a single game. I would ignore the refs, the other players, the other parents, and just enjoy watching him run and kick and compete and do what boys were meant to do. Soccer is a beautiful game and there is nothing more beautiful than watching your child play. Who cares if the ref misses an offsides call? Who cares if they don't make every pass picture perfect? Who cares if they whiff on a shot? Who cares if they lose one game or every game? Life is so short and time is so precious. You never know what is around the corner and when it will be the last time you watch your son play. I remember my son's last game. It was a scrimmage against another club team and he scored 3 goals. He had been complaining about stomach pain and feeling sick before and during the game - little did I know he was abusing prescription pills at that time. I knew things with him were changing but I was so naive.

This is not a message about keeping kids away from drugs. It's a message to savor the moment each and every time your kids play and forget about everything else - missed calls, missed passes, missed shots, etc etc. One day, sooner than you think, it will all be over and you'll long for just one more time to watch your kid play a beautiful game.

I have bared my soul here, albeit anonymously, in the hopes that maybe someone out there will rethink their behavior at their kid's next game, will take maybe a few extra minutes to savor the experience, will think twice about yelling at the ref the next time he misses an offsides or calls a throw-in the wrong way and instead of dissecting the game on the ride home will simply say "Wow, I just love to watch you play soccer."

For any of you that might know me, or think you know me and my son, I would ask that you pray for him and for my family. Right now we need all the help we can get.
    Thank you for posting this. I will say a prayer for your son and your family.

Comment

GBY and your family

Comment

I am sorry for what you are going through. Maybe in time, with counseling and treatment, he can find his way back to the soccer field as a coach or referee. If he really loved the game that might be a way to fill the void that the drugs are now filling. Good luck.

Comment

wow! This story certainly puts things in perspective for me. I am sorry for your pain but thank you. I pray that things will turn around for you and your family. State Cup is coming up and I think I will look at things a little differently.

Comment

Wake up Call for soccer parents and reality check! THANK YOU!

I know that this must have been extremely hard to not only share with the world but also to really take a hard look at how those years were for you. Looking back is 20/20 so please don't be super tough on yourself. Most of us who read your story would admit to acting like that at least once. So you are not alone. Just go to any soccer game at any time and you'll see the same situation.

Thank you so much for what you posted. It's a wake up call to remind us all of how fragile our existence is and how a twist of fate can change it all in a moment. Savor the moment, the smell of the grass on the soccer pitch, the warmth of the sunshine on a chilly day, the smile on your kid's face as he saves a goal or makes one, or simply just does an awesome meg.

I'm going to print out your story and share with the other soccer parents at practice. I'm willing to bet that many of them will see themselves in this cautionary tale and pause before shouting, critiquing or pushing their kids beyond their limits again! On every team there are parents who get a little insane during the game and maybe don't realize just how often they go too far. I bet if they watched themselves on video they would blush like crazy and zip it the rest of the year!

I enjoy watching my child play, the look of joy not just during the game but afterwards when they are running around, goofing off and just loving life. But I also get snippy about the refs, and tell my kid to shake off that cleat to the calf and tough it out. I analyze the game afterwards sometimes thinking I'm "helping" them to focus on improvement. Not surprisingly, when they ask me what about that awesome goal that bent right on the way on, I sometimes remember the ones they missed more. That's pathetic! I don't yell during the games, I keep quiet, but I mumble to myself and I'm sure my face shows what I'm feeling when a call goes the wrong way.

They are there to fly across the field, feel the rush of the moment and enjoy life and the love of the game and to feel part of a team. I hug my kid after the games and tell them I'm proud of them, but the above story is really going to make me reflect hard and make me think twice before opening my mouth to do anything other than say "GREAT GAME!".

Thanks for this and God bless your family. I'm willing to bet that you changed many "moments" for the game for years to come and helped focus many parents with coming forward like this! And to the rest of us, let's PASS THE STORY ON!

Comment

I don't know you, but will definitely say a prayer for your family. Thank you for sharing this so someone else can realize what's really important without paying your price. Pax Domini, mate.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this. It is the must read of the year... God Bless You and your family.

Comment

Thanks for posting. This is a great post and I will need to read it 100x's

Comment

We all should be thankful our children are interested in sports and they can have fun practicing healthy activities, far away from drugs and other distractions.

Sports for teenagers should be taken as fun as well as an educational activity. Yes, to win is important, but it is not the most important thing. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Comment

It looks like this kid's problems started from High School soccer. Another good reason for your kid not to play HS soccer.

Comment

prayers

Thank you for posting this. I will say a prayer for your son and your family.
                        Yes this could be any of us. I am so sorry for what has happened to your son, but rest assured he still has a lot of living to do. I just hope that the journey he is on will turn out to be a positive one. I will pray that the challenges will turn out for victory in his life. Thank you for sharing this . God bless you and your family

Comment

All I can say is thank you for sharing your powerfull story with all of us, I have forwarded it to my team parents. All the best to you and your family.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this story with honesty and transparency. It has obviously made many of us stop and consider our actions, our hearts, our motives...and to perhaps put youth soccer in right perspective. God bless your son on his journey. There is hope-there is recovery-and we all pray this for him, and your family.

Comment

It looks like this kid's problems started from High School soccer. Another good reason for your kid not to play HS soccer.
                              What a great post and something to think about. i really thought that this would boe on thread on TS that would not have a wise comment posted but of course there has to be one troll on every thread.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X