Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And, mr ref, if you must come to the spectator side to fist bump the parents of your favorite team, can you at least wait until the game is over.... every water break is overkill!

I love the ref that is there to "teach" the kids a lesson and thinks the game is about him. Had 7 yellow total and 2 reds today. Guy had no idea how to effectively ref a game. Wonderful, he was there to collect his paycheck though!!!!!

Comment

I love the ref that is there to "teach" the kids a lesson and thinks the game is about him. Had 7 yellow total and 2 reds today. Guy had no idea how to effectively ref a game. Wonderful, he was there to collect his paycheck though!!!!!
      Must of been at Plant City...LOL

Comment

Must of been at Plant City...LOL
        Must HAVE been at Plant City

Comment

Must HAVE been at Plant City
          The ref just gave you a card for bad grammar...

Comment

Lake wales vs plant city had a bad reff.

Comment

On a thread titled "The worse refs"????
              LMAO
              That ship has sailed.

Comment

So does the ref think "must of been" is correct grammar?

Comment

Ok so it is ok for the ref to call players by name? Seems a little unethical to me.
                  I ref'ed for over 10 years and often called players by name - expecially when giving cards or warnings. Not because I knew them personally, but because I cared enough to pay attention. The easiest way to de-escalate tempers is call a player by name when you're explaining the call to them. Much in the same your parents would call you by name when you were in trouble as a child. I don't see it as unethical at all as long as the play-calls are solid.

Now fist-bumping is another matter altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank O Pinion View Post
                    I ref'ed for over 10 years and often called players by name - expecially when giving cards or warnings. Not because I knew them personally, but because I cared enough to pay attention. The easiest way to de-escalate tempers is call a player by name when you're explaining the call to them. Much in the same your parents would call you by name when you were in trouble as a child. I don't see it as unethical at all as long as the play-calls are solid.

Now fist-bumping is another matter altogether.
                    I was watching a game the other day when two teenage boys got in a collision and got up ready to fight. The game was lopsided. The ref got in between the two kids and started yelling at the kid from the losing team to back off. He did. Then the ref turned to the kid from the winning team, who was still spoiling for a fight. After a few seconds of talking, the kid calmed down. Then, the ref did something I thought I would NEVER see. He literally put his arm around the kid and gave him kind of a half-hug.

First, adults in authority positions are universally coached to NEVER touch kids. It's just too high risk that someone will take it the wrong way.
                    Second, a ref, hugging a kid from one team, not the other? He MUST be a cheater, right?

All that said, it worked, and I think all involved (players, coaches and fans) were happy with the quality of the refereeing.

Comment

I was watching a game the other day when two teenage boys got in a collision and got up ready to fight. The game was lopsided. The ref got in between the two kids and started yelling at the kid from the losing team to back off. He did. Then the ref turned to the kid from the winning team, who was still spoiling for a fight. After a few seconds of talking, the kid calmed down. Then, the ref did something I thought I would NEVER see. He literally put his arm around the kid and gave him kind of a half-hug.

First, adults in authority positions are universally coached to NEVER touch kids. It's just too high risk that someone will take it the wrong way.
                      Second, a ref, hugging a kid from one team, not the other? He MUST be a cheater, right?

All that said, it worked, and I think all involved (players, coaches and fans) were happy with the quality of the refereeing.
                      The refs that kill me are the ones that love that authority...just seeking to throw someone out...

Comment

Lake wales vs plant city had a bad reff.
                        was that the boys or girls?

Comment

Then, the ref did something I thought I would NEVER see. He literally put his arm around the kid and gave him kind of a half-hug.
                          IMHO touching - whether its fist bumping or hugging - by an official doesn't belong on a soccer field. The only time the official should have intentional physical contact is if an altercation (fight) requires it. Even then you're asking for trouble from angry parents.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                            was that the boys or girls?
                            girls

Comment

girls
                              I was going to say the ref for the boys side did a pretty good job.

Comment

I think Space Coast had these brothers who were refs and it never failed that if a game got tight over there, they would start to influence the outcome. It was sickening because several people had complained to GCF and FYSA over the years and nothing seemed to happen. The younger guy wasn't so bad, but he would start his bs if the older one was reffing with him. It was very bad to see these guys with obvious club affiliations purposely influence the outcome of the games to benefit their club. I would always wonder how these adults could look themselves in the mirror after blatantly robbing kids of their effort on the field.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X