Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    1-3 from what I found. But do we judge an entire year off 4 games?

Either way, to answer the original question for boys if you want to stay in vancouver go Washington Timbers. If you want to go outside of vancouver, still go with a Timbers club for a boy. Do not go FCSC. In vancouver for boys it goes 1. Washington Timbers 2. Pacific 3. FCSC
    It was more than just the state cup failure. Several players left his team this spring and others are looking across the river. There have been "issues" with the style of play and lack of development that got a lot of parents upset.

Comment

Yes going off rumor. I believe it was a trend and the State cup showing was the final result of this trend.

I would modify your rankings a little.
      1) Timbers A
      2) Pacific A, B, Timbers C all about even in standings, results.
      3) Timbers B team
      4) The rest. Timbers D and F, Pacific C.
      5) Any Rec teams.
      6) FCSC
      I just looked at Spring standings and Timbers B and C are virtually identical. C team finished with 17 pts, B team finished with 15 points and the game head to head was 4-3 with the C team winning. So to say that the C team is actually the B team is not an accurate assessment. What you have is a B and C team that are virtually identical. Hopefully, that type of situation gets flushed out at the next tryouts by taking the top half of each team to make the new B team... just as maybe a few from each have a shot at the Reds.

Comment

Here's a breakdown depending on what is most important to you:

Strength of current team:
        1. Timbers Red
        2. Pacific 1 & 2
        4. Timbers C
        5. Timbers B
        -
        -
        -
        - FCSC (has no current team) (has no history of any strong boys teams)

Costs of Team/Club:
        1. Pacific 1 & 2
        2. Timbers B & C
        3. FCSC
        4. Timbers Red

Travel for League Games:
        1. Pacific (has independent choice as to OPL/OYSA leagues)
        2. FCSC (has independent choice as to OPL/OYSA leagues)
        3. Timbers (plays OYSA)

Travel distance for practices - depends on where you live of course.

Coaches - depends on what you're looking for. Talk to them personally as well as parents of current players.

So, think it all over and decide what's most important to you. Good luck.

Comment

Did the pacific teams not do state cup? I see Green and Forest both won their groups in the Challenge cup, but I don't see the Pacific teams. If they aren't doing state cup, why?
          Challenge cup II. Won their groups in Challenge Cup II is what you meant to say. Why would Timbers teams sandbag and do CUP II. Now you know why they won their groups.

Comment

I just looked at Spring standings and Timbers B and C are virtually identical. C team finished with 17 pts, B team finished with 15 points and the game head to head was 4-3 with the C team winning. So to say that the C team is actually the B team is not an accurate assessment. What you have is a B and C team that are virtually identical. Hopefully, that type of situation gets flushed out at the next tryouts by taking the top half of each team to make the new B team... just as maybe a few from each have a shot at the Reds.
            it's cheaper to be on the C team and that coach has had those kids for a while. Unless they make A team, why would they leave to B team, which they have already beat 2--3 times last year.

Comment

You all do realize that we're talking U12 soccer here? These kids are physically growing and changing by the second. At this age the better teams usually have the athletes.
              Everyone is still developing their skills so the most athletic teams are usually the one's that "win". That all changes as the athleticism equalizes. Those teams/kids that have focused on their skills accelerate at a must faster pace from that point on.
              So when you're comparing teams be careful not to get caught up in the team stats, I.e. wins & loses. The most important thing is to find a team that has a good coach who teaches fundamental skills and the kids have a blast playing. It really is that simple at the earlier ages. Don't get too caught up in which "club" etc. unless of course the club is fundamentally a train wreck which it sounds like may be the case at FCSC. That just makes it harder to accomplish the above when the club politics get in the way.

Comment

Are there any head to head results for Timbers B/C vs Pacific 1/2? There seems to be disagreement with which teams are better. Or are they really all about equal.

Regarding cost, please keep in mind that Timbers use a Tiered 1,2,3,4 system. Tier 1 teams haven't even materialized as most Reds are considered Tier 2 for now. That cost is $1091 or something like that. Tier 3 and Tier 4 drop off dramatically and likely match Pacific. I have no idea if Timbers B/C were Tier 2, 3, or 4 but I'm guessing the B team was tier 2 and the C team was Tier 3. In that case, the C team was clearly the best bang for the buck, especially if the coaching is considered equal.

Comment

You all do realize that we're talking U12 soccer here? These kids are physically growing and changing by the second. At this age the better teams usually have the athletes.
                  Everyone is still developing their skills so the most athletic teams are usually the one's that "win". That all changes as the athleticism equalizes. Those teams/kids that have focused on their skills accelerate at a must faster pace from that point on.
                  So when you're comparing teams be careful not to get caught up in the team stats, I.e. wins & loses. The most important thing is to find a team that has a good coach who teaches fundamental skills and the kids have a blast playing. It really is that simple at the earlier ages. Don't get too caught up in which "club" etc. unless of course the club is fundamentally a train wreck which it sounds like may be the case at FCSC. That just makes it harder to accomplish the above when the club politics get in the way.
                  What you say is true. But you also have to be careful with the mindset you are suggesting. It has been my experience that generally speaking, Timbers A teams have the best coaches, as they should (not always! just generally). It is also true that generally speaking, Timbers A team players grow the most and continue to stay A level players... which is probably because they typically have better coaching and are training with better athletes and players. Of course it is absolutely true that kids eb and flow with size and athleticism. But truthfully, A players at U10 are typically your A players at older ages. There is always some movement because there are a few players that will mature later or often times A players will drop off due to playing other sports. But you have to be careful with simply saying go to the team feels right. That might not be the best advice if it's the player's goal to become a top player on a top team with RTC/ODP/Academy aspirations.

But as you suggest, if the kid is not having fun then really, there is no point in any of this.

Comment

What you say is true. But you also have to be careful with the mindset you are suggesting. It has been my experience that generally speaking, Timbers A teams have the best coaches, as they should (not always! just generally). It is also true that generally speaking, Timbers A team players grow the most and continue to stay A level players... which is probably because they typically have better coaching and are training with better athletes and players. Of course it is absolutely true that kids eb and flow with size and athleticism. But truthfully, A players at U10 are typically your A players at older ages. There is always some movement because there are a few players that will mature later or often times A players will drop off due to playing other sports. But you have to be careful with simply saying go to the team feels right. That might not be the best advice if it's the player's goal to become a top player on a top team with RTC/ODP/Academy aspirations.

But as you suggest, if the kid is not having fun then really, there is no point in any of this.
                    I wrote the post that you're responding to. I don't disagree with your comment in general.
                    What I have seen (I have older players) is that the kids that didn't necessarily do the premier path initially (Reds) but had good coaching and developed their fundamental skills etc. where every bit as technical (or more) but when they moved up to the premier level the "game" became their challenge. The speed of play and the increased physical play take some time to adjust to. In most cases the players seem to rise to the challenge quickly but it's definitely a challenge. My fundamental comment still holds true regardless - Selecting a team based on stats and wins and losses at U12 is usually the least important factor. The winning will come but individual skill development and FUN should be at the top of the list. Notice that the one thing that determines those two factors = COACHING. As you said often the best coaching is the "A" team but not always!

Comment

I wrote the post that you're responding to. I don't disagree with your comment in general.
                      What I have seen (I have older players) is that the kids that didn't necessarily do the premier path initially (Reds) but had good coaching and developed their fundamental skills etc. where every bit as technical (or more) but when they moved up to the premier level the "game" became their challenge. The speed of play and the increased physical play take some time to adjust to. In most cases the players seem to rise to the challenge quickly but it's definitely a challenge. My fundamental comment still holds true regardless - Selecting a team based on stats and wins and losses at U12 is usually the least important factor. The winning will come but individual skill development and FUN should be at the top of the list. Notice that the one thing that determines those two factors = COACHING. As you said often the best coaching is the "A" team but not always!
                      I think you and I are speaking the same language. I think the hard part is with this idea of focusing on the fundamentals. You are 100% correct. If you have a coach teaching great fundamentals that is absolutely the key. But often times if you are playing with players that are not as athletic, your player has a tough time practicing those newfound skills and fundamentals to the level that allows them to grow significantly to match what a Timbers Red player might see at training.

And ultimately, speed and athleticism are still key in this sport. I have seen many players with superb foot skills fall off because they cannot deal with the pace or physicality. Of course, same could be said for players that only rely on speed and athleticism and never built the fundamentals. As you mention, often times the gap closes for speed as kids mature and if the fundamentals were never instilled, those players that were once considered fast and athletic will soon fall back.

Comment

At U13, you should go on the team that is best for your son.

If your son is the top level, you could go to Timbers or travel to Portland.

If he isn't one of the top 20 boys in Vancouver, go somewhere where your son can develop while having fun. My understanding is that Salmon Creek has taken a hit hte last few years and is trying to rebuild the boys side. I wouldn't recommend Pacific for most players, but at the younger ages it seems to be fine.

Comment

For me, the deal killer with Timbers was the switch in leagues this spring. I've got more than 1 kid and don't have the availability to travel away for the several weekends for league games out of the area. Coordinating my other kids and their multiple sports/activities just doesn't fit when an entire day (or 2) is wiped out due to a single road game. You can send your kid on those road trips with fellow parents, but I'm personally just not comfortable with that. Plus, I want to be there to enjoy the games. Everything else with the Timbers is great, but unfortunately this issue is forcing us to change clubs this year.

Comment

For me, the deal killer with Timbers was the switch in leagues this spring. I've got more than 1 kid and don't have the availability to travel away for the several weekends for league games out of the area. Coordinating my other kids and their multiple sports/activities just doesn't fit when an entire day (or 2) is wiped out due to a single road game. You can send your kid on those road trips with fellow parents, but I'm personally just not comfortable with that. Plus, I want to be there to enjoy the games. Everything else with the Timbers is great, but unfortunately this issue is forcing us to change clubs this year.
                            I've heard more and more lately parents saying they are uncomfortable sending their kids with other parents. When I was a child that was the only way we could do all the activities we wanted to do. Our parents never seemed so worried about it. Am I wrong, or does it seem like more people now days don't trust others in car pools for kids. I'm not saying people are wrong for that, but I have a hard time believing that with a team of 16 kids (just throwing out an average) you can't find 1 or 2 parents that you trust. To me it just seems odd that with so many options there isn't a few that you would be okay sending your child with.

Once again just my opinion.

Comment

I think you are the person I have been posting back and forth with. In any case, I respect your thoughts and decisions. You seem intelligent and reasonable. Refreshing for this site. One thing for sure, the landscape changes frequently. Reevaluation each year is necessary to navigate appropriately for your child and family. Good luck my anonymous TS friend.(ha ha weird to say on this forum!) usually I feel like smacking people. :)

Comment

That's unfortunate but certainly understandable. Best of luck in finding a new home and there has been some very sage advice given on this thread. #1) a coach that is focused on fundamental skill development (and not the win loss ratio) coupled with allowing the team to have an absolute blast is certainly a key element to selecting that new team! They're out there!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X