Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no boys teams at FCSC?

I have a current U12 Boy in Vancouver. Hes my oldest so I'm pretty new to this whole thing. We played at pacific this last year, and he has some friends of his that are going to FCSC this coming year. I decided to do some research and on their website they have no boys teams above next years U13's. It makes me wonder if that's a good place for him to go if they don't have any older teams. Is there a reason they don't have any older boys? Would it be better for him to go to Washington Timbers?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a current U12 Boy in Vancouver. Hes my oldest so I'm pretty new to this whole thing. We played at pacific this last year, and he has some friends of his that are going to FCSC this coming year. I decided to do some research and on their website they have no boys teams above next years U13's. It makes me wonder if that's a good place for him to go if they don't have any older teams. Is there a reason they don't have any older boys? Would it be better for him to go to Washington Timbers?
    FCSC really has only one team.... The club is a family run club that is built to grow a grandchild who is a phenomenal player. They have no reason to grow the club in any other direction. All of the boys teams are rec level teams....same goes for pacific.
    The good thing about pacific is that you pay for rec level coaching and rec level teams, it's cheap and a good price for lower tiered players...at FCSC you pay premier pricing for rec level coaching and teams.....if you have a boy that wants to play for the best teams in southwest Washington and is an '03-'98 I would definetly go to Washington Timbers....if you have a boy that isn't as serious but wants to play for fun pacific is a great place

Comment

Don't know much about FCSC except for what I read on here. But we have similar issues/politics in our area. I would say it depends more on the coach and team. Find the one you like, go to practices/pretryouts if you can. If his friends are going to FCSC that may be the best place for your son to at least start. Then once you have played other teams, at the end of the year you can change if there is a better fit. Pacific sounds like a better deal financially so maybe you want to talk his friends into checking them out first, of course, I don't know the whole situation. Maybe get a group of parents together to go have coffee with the different coaches to talk as well as go to any club meetings with the leaders.

Everything becomes clearer at tryouts. Even after tryouts if it does not work out or does not feel right for your son, you can always contact another club/coach and usually there are a few spots so you can find a place.

Comment

All the boys teams left FCSC last year and moved to Pacific. Stuart, Dustin. They left because they were tired of filling their team with rec players. So where will SC draw additional players from? Their rec. program.

Timbers A team is the best in the area. There C team is good also. B team is really their C team and just heard Max stepped down and they are bringing in coach that had to be moved from his prior team for not performing.

So Timbers A is your best choice. DO NOT do FCSC. You will regret that. You will pay twice as much and be at a lower level.

Comment

Something else to consider is the high school season for boys is different between Oregon and Washington. In OR the boys play HS soccer in fall and in WA they play HS soccer in spring thus the club seasons are different as well. The WA Timbers are the only RCL Club in Clark County and thus any high level player (Premier in WA) pretty much plays in the RCL.
          Thus once the boys reach HS age the better players migrate to the WA Timbers.
          Some argue the merits between the two clubs (FCSC & WA Timbers). This is gone on for years and always will. Each club serves a purpose but if you have a HS age boy who wants to play at the "premier" level WA Timbers fit that purpose.

Comment

All the boys teams left FCSC last year and moved to Pacific. Stuart, Dustin. They left because they were tired of filling their team with rec players. So where will SC draw additional players from? Their rec. program.

Timbers A team is the best in the area. There C team is good also. B team is really their C team and just heard Max stepped down and they are bringing in coach that had to be moved from his prior team for not performing.

So Timbers A is your best choice. DO NOT do FCSC. You will regret that. You will pay twice as much and be at a lower level.
            I asked one of the DOC's about the new coach and they made it clear it had nothing to do with the teams performance why he stepped away. They said his previous team won their NPL division and made it to semi's of NWCL, so the performance of the team was fine, he and the DOC's simply met and he volunteered to move after being with them for 2 years. Of course I'm sure there will be those on here who have "heard" other things as well, but sometimes a move is just a move, even if we hate not having drama on here.

Comment

I asked one of the DOC's about the new coach and they made it clear it had nothing to do with the teams performance why he stepped away. They said his previous team won their NPL division and made it to semi's of NWCL, so the performance of the team was fine, he and the DOC's simply met and he volunteered to move after being with them for 2 years. Of course I'm sure there will be those on here who have "heard" other things as well, but sometimes a move is just a move, even if we hate not having drama on here.
              Right! 0-3 in State Cup. Be honest now.

Comment

If he's good enough to make the Timbers Red, then give that a shot. Otherwise, stay at Pacific as they have the 2nd/3rd ranked teams in Vancouver, above the Timbers B/C teams, and much less expensive. Avoid FCSC at all costs, ask anyone with experience playing in their boys program.

Comment

Right! 0-3 in State Cup. Be honest now.
                  1-3 from what I found. But do we judge an entire year off 4 games?

Either way, to answer the original question for boys if you want to stay in vancouver go Washington Timbers. If you want to go outside of vancouver, still go with a Timbers club for a boy. Do not go FCSC. In vancouver for boys it goes 1. Washington Timbers 2. Pacific 3. FCSC

Comment

FCSC had no U12 last year. They only listed U13 this year. There are no players FCSC is bringing to the table. They are just trying to adopt a team. Hope you bring over all your players. Hope they can afford it. Get any scholarship promises in writing, do not take Joes word.

Comment

Something else to consider is the high school season for boys is different between Oregon and Washington. In OR the boys play HS soccer in fall and in WA they play HS soccer in spring thus the club seasons are different as well. The WA Timbers are the only RCL Club in Clark County and thus any high level player (Premier in WA) pretty much plays in the RCL.
                      Thus once the boys reach HS age the better players migrate to the WA Timbers.
                      Some argue the merits between the two clubs (FCSC & WA Timbers). This is gone on for years and always will. Each club serves a purpose but if you have a HS age boy who wants to play at the "premier" level WA Timbers fit that purpose.
                      If a HS age boy in Vancouver does not play in the RCL what other options are there for them? League etc.?

Comment

One more thing to consider - do you want to travel to Eugene, Bend and Medford for regular league games? If that sounds like fun then Timbers is for you.

Comment

If he's good enough to make the Timbers Red, then give that a shot. Otherwise, stay at Pacific as they have the 2nd/3rd ranked teams in Vancouver, above the Timbers B/C teams, and much less expensive. Avoid FCSC at all costs, ask anyone with experience playing in their boys program.
                          I don't agree that Pacific has better teams than Timbers B/C teams. In some cases, yes. In some cases, no. And with Wa Timbers tiered pay structure B and C teams can sometimes pay significantly less than an A team - even matching Pacific costs but with more upward opportunities. I think the 'gray' area is a Timbers B team. In some cases, a B team is considered Premier and pay Premier prices when they really should be more of a 'select' type team paying select type prices. If your child falls into one of those teams, it might make sense to play for Pacific... unless of course it is your child's goal to move up to the Reds. In that case, I might consider working hard, staying with the Timbers B team and getting noticed to potentially move up to the A team one day. More Timbers coaches are doing technical training with both A and B teams together periodically. If your player is talented they will get noticed.

Then, of course, if the sole purpose is to simply have fun, throw everything above out the window and just go with your gut. Sometimes it makes the most sense to join a club because of the coach at that age. Sometimes it's because your child's friends are there, and sometimes it just makes sense because of proximity to games and practices. And all those things are important in your decision.

Comment

1-3 from what I found. But do we judge an entire year off 4 games?

Either way, to answer the original question for boys if you want to stay in vancouver go Washington Timbers. If you want to go outside of vancouver, still go with a Timbers club for a boy. Do not go FCSC. In vancouver for boys it goes 1. Washington Timbers 2. Pacific 3. FCSC
                            Yes going off rumor. I believe it was a trend and the State cup showing was the final result of this trend.

I would modify your rankings a little.
                            1) Timbers A
                            2) Pacific A, B, Timbers C all about even in standings, results.
                            3) Timbers B team
                            4) The rest. Timbers D and F, Pacific C.
                            5) Any Rec teams.
                            6) FCSC

Comment

Did the pacific teams not do state cup? I see Green and Forest both won their groups in the Challenge cup, but I don't see the Pacific teams. If they aren't doing state cup, why?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X