Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Looking at the OPL and OYSA brackets, there is one pretty obvious conclusion. That is the need to specialize if there is an insistence on a division. Choose an age bracket and compare it between the two leagues, what almost immediately becomes clear is that the leagues should divide on a gender basis. If this was done, it would almost immediately clean up the mess in brackets, it would probably allow for a more successful pitch on the ECNL type leagues.

The biggest problem is clubs trying to be everything to everyone. There is no reason a club couldn't have its girls teams play OPL, and it's boys teams OYSA. The only thing preventing this is the DOC's desire to have "control". Eventually it would be great to have them all under one roof, but maybe this is a step in that direction.
    I think quality of coaching and quality of leagues/state cups are 2 different issues.

On the latter, no DOCs are not exactly knocking it out of the park right now, in providing high-quality leagues and tournaments. But the Timbers (locally) and USSF (nationally) should share in that blame. The former appears to want to put its brand on everything involving soccer in this state, whether all their customers want it or not; the former appears to be completely incapable or unwilling to address the alphabet soup of often feuding youth organizations in this country.

Doesn't mean DOCs get a free pass in this mess, but they are not the only contributors to it.

The only good news out of this (well maybe besides some innovation) is that the soccer experts have achieved what soccer moms attempted to do for years: trophies for everyone. ( :
    Last edited by Slow Xavi; 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
      I think quality of coaching and quality of leagues/state cups are 2 different issues.

On the latter, yes DOCs are not exactly knocking it out of the park right now, in providing high-quality leagues and tournaments. But the Timbers (locally) and USSF (nationally) should share in that blame. The former appears to want to put its brand on everything involving soccer in this state, whether all their customers want it or not; the former appears to be completely incapable or unwilling to address the alphabet soup of often feuding youth organizations in this country.

Doesn't mean DOCs get a free pass in this mess, but they are not the only contributors to it.

The only good news out of this (well maybe besides some innovation) is that the soccer experts have achieved what soccer moms attempted to do for years: trophies for everyone. ( :
      And we are all part of the problem for accepting the garbage that we're being fed. At the end of the day follow the money trail. It starts and stops with the consumer.

Comment

And we are all part of the problem for accepting the garbage that we're being fed. At the end of the day follow the money trail. It starts and stops with the consumer.
        Wait a second. Accepting garbage being fed? I think it's the other way around, demand driven balance of quality/price.

I have been a part of the budgeting process for a club before and it is not simple economics. Due to the very competitive nature of the local soccer environment, it is nearly impossible to offer a premium quality product at a premium price in Portland.

There are 85/100 (rating) clubs that will charge you $1500.

Would you pay $3,800 for a club that was 95/100?

Some will, but it would be difficult to get off the ground. The first year you'd have a lot of rich parents that have average kids and some really talented kids. They'd get beat up and the really talented kids would flee to the 85/100 club that is winning. Then you'd be mostly left with rich average kids.

Chicken before the egg. And the willingness of talent to go to 85/100 clubs. And the parents demanding "value" over premium.

Comment

Wait a second. Accepting garbage being fed? I think it's the other way around, demand driven balance of quality/price.

I have been a part of the budgeting process for a club before and it is not simple economics. Due to the very competitive nature of the local soccer environment, it is nearly impossible to offer a premium quality product at a premium price in Portland.

There are 85/100 (rating) clubs that will charge you $1500.

Would you pay $3,800 for a club that was 95/100?

Some will, but it would be difficult to get off the ground. The first year you'd have a lot of rich parents that have average kids and some really talented kids. They'd get beat up and the really talented kids would flee to the 85/100 club that is winning. Then you'd be mostly left with rich average kids.

Chicken before the egg. And the willingness of talent to go to 85/100 clubs. And the parents demanding "value" over premium.
          I'm a parent of a talented female player. I'm disgusted with the current offerings of clubs and leagues (OPL / OYSA).
          My daughter will go to the first ECNL team(club) in PDX.
          If PDX does not get an ECNL birth we will head North. I have already contacted the ECNL clubs in WA and they are expecting a big push if PDX does not get their own. They are hearing from a lot of OR players.
          I am a consumer and I am talking with my $ and my feet. Evidently others are of like mind.

Comment

I'm a parent of a talented female player. I'm disgusted with the current offerings of clubs and leagues (OPL / OYSA).
            My daughter will go to the first ECNL team(club) in PDX.
            If PDX does not get an ECNL birth we will head North. I have already contacted the ECNL clubs in WA and they are expecting a big push if PDX does not get their own. They are hearing from a lot of OR players.
            I am a consumer and I am talking with my $ and my feet. Evidently others are of like mind.
            Good luck with your chosen path. Best wishes for your DD's success.

Comment

Good luck with your chosen path. Best wishes for your DD's success.
              ^^^^^^^^
              Thank you!

Comment

I am glad that some posters have given perspective about the coaching salaries that are paid in OR compared to somewhere like WA. The reason we struggle to attract and retain quality coaches in OR is because they get paid so poorly in comparison to other states. I am not talking about DOC's (as some of them at bigger clubs get paid good salaries) but the team coaches.

It would seem that many parents don't understand this dynamic and complain about wanting better coaches. You would be shocked if you knew how little your kids coach/coaches were getting paid for all the time, effort and dedication they give. It is embarrassing.

Comment

I am glad that some posters have given perspective about the coaching salaries that are paid in OR compared to somewhere like WA. The reason we struggle to attract and retain quality coaches in OR is because they get paid so poorly in comparison to other states. I am not talking about DOC's (as some of them at bigger clubs get paid good salaries) but the team coaches.

It would seem that many parents don't understand this dynamic and complain about wanting better coaches. You would be shocked if you knew how little your kids coach/coaches were getting paid for all the time, effort and dedication they give. It is embarrassing.
                  Most of your typical U12 and older coaches get $450-650 / per month. So in essence, your buying the coach a NICE new car. If the coach has 2 teams, well, your buying his wife one too.

Comment

Everyone wins a trophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post

On the latter, no DOCs are not exactly knocking it out of the park right now, in providing high-quality leagues and tournaments. But the Timbers (locally) and USSF (nationally) should share in that blame. The former appears to want to put its brand on everything involving soccer in this state, whether all their customers want it or not; the former appears to be completely incapable or unwilling to address the alphabet soup of often feuding youth organizations in this country.

So true: "The only good news out of this (well maybe besides some innovation) is that the soccer experts have achieved what soccer moms attempted to do for years: trophies for everyone. ( :" Two teams in each age group will win state cups. Twice as many kids will be in ODP (counting the OPL PDP/Id2 program which they say is an ODP program). Two teams in each age group will win their fall league. Four teams in each age group will go on to the NWCL and the others to something else they make up for a trophy. THUSC and FC are going to clean up on this year's OPL U11-14 state cups. TA will claim those for the "true" OYSA state cups. Players in TA and Crossfire Oregon will all be thought of as being in the same club and so the top players are no stronger than the kid who kicked a soccer ball one day in his or her life. Colleges west of Idaho will look at all of this mess on soccer resumes down the road, know that they are being snookered and go back to looking at individual players regardless of their club affiliation. Colleges east of Idaho are going to turn down everyone with TA, Crossfire Oregon, FC and THUSC on their soccer resumes because they don't have the time or energy to figure out the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Marbull View Post
                      Most of your typical U12 and older coaches get $450-650 / per month. So in essence, your buying the coach a NICE new car. If the coach has 2 teams, well, your buying his wife one too.
                      Most of the coaches that I spoke to, get $3-4k a year. (That is only $250 to $350 per month). This includes 16? hours of practice a month and during leagues 12-24 hours for games). That is somewhere around $12 per hour not including the gas it costs to get to practices and games nor time dealing with planning or parent concerns.

Comment

Most of the coaches that I spoke to, get $3-4k a year. (That is only $250 to $350 per month). This includes 16? hours of practice a month and during leagues 12-24 hours for games). That is somewhere around $12 per hour not including the gas it costs to get to practices and games nor time dealing with planning or parent concerns.
                        Crossfire Washington charges $2,000 per year for super premium coaching!

Comment

Please explain? Is the $2k in addition to the club fees? Cuz $2k is not Crossfire Premiere's club fee ... it's more.

Comment

It's $2,200 per year for 3-4 days of training.

Comment

It's $2,200 per year for 3-4 days of training.
                              per week.

Comment

Our team has been training 3 times a week all season...not sure why the coach has opted for this given the low pay.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X