Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anecdotal only - know 2 girls who wanted to go GDA, went there. Both lasted one year and then returned to their original clubs. Grass isn't always greener.
    Let me guess, riding 8th graders when they did it?

Comment

It's NY for pete's sake .... $5k will get you little there. Plenty of NYers that think $5k is inconsequential .... much like the rest of us that about $3500 + travel and having others question our sanity.
      correction, plenty of Nyers at fancy soccer clubs think its inconsequential.

Comment

Anecdotal only - know 2 girls who wanted to go GDA, went there. Both lasted one year and then returned to their original clubs. Grass isn't always greener.
        There are some GDA players who didn't make their HS varsity teams. Truth.

Comment

There are some GDA players who didn't make their HS varsity teams. Truth.
          GDA players are not allowed to play HS, so your comment makes no sense.

Comment

GDA players are not allowed to play HS, so your comment makes no sense.
            No the poster but yes it does. GDA is only 1 1/2 years old so some kids were in HS before. Some left HS for GDA this year. Some kids didn't make their HS varsity squads, only JV and I know of one who only made a freshman team. Is that the best of the best?

Comment

$5000 is very very expensive.
              Maybe it is $5k for the older kids but that is not what we paid.

Tuition was less than 4k

Comment

Maybe it is $5k for the older kids but that is not what we paid.

Tuition was less than 4k
                Honey, tuition under U10 should be less then $2000

Comment

Horrific info

Ladies and gentlemen,

I’m pretty shocked at the magnitude of misinformation here.

Let’s get a few things totally squared away and out in the open.

1. The annual cost of the pay to play NYSC does vary by age.
                  I’ve been at the club for a few years, and the cost goes up about
                  $300 a year, I pay $3,450 for boys DA U-14. My younger daughter, she is not yet
                  of DA age, she pays $3,150 per year. Well I pay them both but you know what
                  I mean.

2. Half of my sons DA team pays nothing. They are on scholarships at the generosity
                  of the club, meaning Heffernan and Feldgoise who are both well financed men. Feldgoise took
                  over the club 2 years ago from Heffernan who started it all. Feldgoise is a business man, and passionate about soccer. He created the partnership with Manhattanville, and
                  he built Ophir. The club is VERY generous, and have plans to fully finance the DA teams in perpetuity. I wouldn’t bet against Feldgoise.

3. NYSC is a member of the GDA, a new project/initiative by USSF, an outcome
                  undetermined at this point. But to call it a failure is just a hater talking. Some people
                  don’t like it, I get it, and girls like to play HS and show all their friends what they’ve been
                  doing all these years. Truth be told, many GDA teams (like NYSC) release their bottom
                  4-6 players so they can be the star on their HS team. Then rejoin the team after their season is done. The top players can’t play though...something under review as recently as the meeting in Chicago a few days ago. We’ll see. But the GDA is still to new to pass any intelligent
                  judgement on it. The boys DA started in what 2005? When that happened ODP (Olympic development) was dead, it was already dysfunctional, it was easy for the DA to take over.
                  The GDA was launched and is essentially competing with the ECNL, a legit league that produces legit players. So the road for GDA may be a bit harder than the boys DA, but I’m
                  absolutely certain it will succeed long term. The DA did away with U-12 Academy recently to allow admin to pay more attention to GDA. And the CASH that the USSF is sitting on, some is being deployed to the GDA....so they are committed and will win.

So yes NYSC is in the GDA, and that is probably a good thing long term.

Comment

Continued....

4. The coaching at NYSC, is quite frankly, good, with a few great, and one or two excellent.

But that is not their MO, they coach the same way, all of them. It’s a club philosophy that puts teams under pressure as younger teams, and sets them up to win later. They believe in developing, and execute that plan. As for the coaches....they care about that development. I’m very impressed with the boys and girls approach to my kids development.

Christian G, a member of the US youth National staff, the head of NYSC Academy and the TD of the club is the brains of the on field soccer activities. He’s trained most of the NYCFC academy staff, and the 48 boys and girls that NYCFC has taken into their academy. Many of whom just won the U-19 National DA Championship.

You can bad mouth NYSC any day of the week, you’ll always find something you don’t like.
                    But in two years, the club has joined the GDA, reveived DA badge promotion each year, built a home outdoor facility, and a 90,000 square foot indoor facility, and the quality of their players is rising quickly....

Yea it’s expensive. It is. But if you need help they give it to you. If you don’t, it’s a long year of soccer and you get a lot. At the DA level, there are no ADD ONS, at younger ages you pay per tournament (like $60-80).

04-05-06-07 boys DA teams going to the MIC in Spain in April, should be fun.

Hate on NYSC, go ahead. Hate on GDA, go ahead.

I like driving to Manhatttanville, I’ll be there this weekend for the futsal tournament....playing NYCFC and the Red Bull’s, and PDA. All DA clubs.

oh one more thing.....have you been inside Ophir? Lounges, TV’s, 3 professional futsal courts, huge turf areas...the place looks phenomenal.

Comment

4. The coaching at NYSC, is quite frankly, good, with a few great, and one or two excellent.

But that is not their MO, they coach the same way, all of them. It’s a club philosophy that puts teams under pressure as younger teams, and sets them up to win later. They believe in developing, and execute that plan. As for the coaches....they care about that development. I’m very impressed with the boys and girls approach to my kids development.

Christian G, a member of the US youth National staff, the head of NYSC Academy and the TD of the club is the brains of the on field soccer activities. He’s trained most of the NYCFC academy staff, and the 48 boys and girls that NYCFC has taken into their academy. Many of whom just won the U-19 National DA Championship.

You can bad mouth NYSC any day of the week, you’ll always find something you don’t like.
                      But in two years, the club has joined the GDA, reveived DA badge promotion each year, built a home outdoor facility, and a 90,000 square foot indoor facility, and the quality of their players is rising quickly....

Yea it’s expensive. It is. But if you need help they give it to you. If you don’t, it’s a long year of soccer and you get a lot. At the DA level, there are no ADD ONS, at younger ages you pay per tournament (like $60-80).

I like driving to Manhatttanville, I’ll be there this weekend for the futsal tournament....playing NYCFC and the Red Bull’s, and PDA. All DA clubs.

oh one more thing.....have you been inside Ophir? Lounges, TV’s, 3 professional futsal courts, huge turf areas...the place looks phenomenal.

I agree with everything. Moved from another club and could not be happier. Coaches are awesome. Communication and organization at the club has been great.

Facility is awesome!

Comment

Whatever. I never said he was U10. How about U13?

Comment

I guess your kid doesn't play at Oakwood either then?

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showpo...6&postcount=82

Comment

Thanks Christian

Comment

Thanks Christian

Not the OP but I seriously don't think Christian would waste his time on TS.

Comment

Not the OP but I seriously don't think Christian would waste his time on TS.
                                Youth soccer is big business and most of these big chiefs are better marketers than trainers. Don't be surprised, US Soccer has built an empire on marketing with no results.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X