Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We signed up because my son wanted to play in FL, but only Florida Southern and Johnson & Wales showed up. Eckerd, Stetson, Rollins, St. Leo and UT were all on the list, but my son did not see anyone from their school at the camp. So only 2 of the 7 schools we thought were going to be there attended to the best of our knowledge.
    The Stetson head coach sadly passed away the Saturday before the camp. I assume this impacted some local coach attendance.

Comment

Part of the problem is with your expectations. These camps are money makers for the school. They lure you in with exposure to college coaches. Fact is very few - and I mean very few - players are found or even looked at in these camps seriously. Coaches want to see the players at high level competitions against high level players that a camp doesn't provide.
      You are clueless. Why don't you understand college ball before you rush to judge? The "school" does not make a dime. The coach makes all the camp money and usually spreads it among the staff to supplement their meager salaries. This is great income for an assistant coach who, BTW, runs the camp. The head coach comes down and makes an appearance or gives a little speech. The camp is run by staff for the staff. It has nothing to do with the athletic department and if you read the small print on your registration you would see the school accepts no liability for the camp because it is usually a LLC owned by the head coach.

Consider yourself educated moron.

Comment

You are clueless. Why don't you understand college ball before you rush to judge? The "school" does not make a dime. The coach makes all the camp money and usually spreads it among the staff to supplement their meager salaries. This is great income for an assistant coach who, BTW, runs the camp. The head coach comes down and makes an appearance or gives a little speech. The camp is run by staff for the staff. It has nothing to do with the athletic department and if you read the small print on your registration you would see the school accepts no liability for the camp because it is usually a LLC owned by the head coach.

Consider yourself educated moron.
        wow! Why so hostile? The original poster basically says the same thing except he/she says the school gets the money and you say the coaches get it. You are correct, but it sure is a minor difference to get so ugly and start calling names.

Comment

We signed up because my son wanted to play in FL, but only Florida Southern and Johnson & Wales showed up. Eckerd, Stetson, Rollins, St. Leo and UT were all on the list, but my son did not see anyone from their school at the camp. So only 2 of the 7 schools we thought were going to be there attended to the best of our knowledge.
          Sounds like these guys are running a scam. You should ask for a refund. If the don't give it then report them to the better business bureau and/or sue.

Comment

2 exceptions

I have never seen a college coach scouting at a high school game.
            1-The HS coach knows the college coach and invites them to take a look at a player who would possibly fit the program.

2-State Final Four Tournament. Florida D-1, D-2, and NAIA coaches are there every year, and they're looking.

Comment

Sounds like these guys are running a scam. You should ask for a refund. If the don't give it then report them to the better business bureau and/or sue.
              This is a good suggestion. If the player went based on the advertisement of other schools then they failed to do what was advertised. Check the wording of it first, because it may have been loose. Unfortunately if the player travelled from out of state those are costs they can't recover.

We did a camp once with numerous schools in attendance. I normally leave but saw some friends there and decided to stay. We all observed that many of the college coaches spent more time chatting with other coaches than watching players. The coach who put the camp on spent NO time watching the players and his assistant wasn't even there. Last camp we ever did.

Not all camps are like this but some are. Buyer beware.

Comment

That has been my experience too. If your child is not invited, meaning a personal email, contact ,etc.- do not go to any of these camps with any expectations at all. You will be disappointed. My kid has decided to take the money we spent on camps and get private training, working on areas that need improvement.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1336262]That has been my experience too. If your child is not invited, meaning a personal email, contact ,etc.- do not go to any of these camps with any expectations at all. You will be disappointed. My kid has decided to take the money we spent on camps and get private training, working on areas that need improvement.[/QUOTE

we are still getting emails from USF concerning their wonderful camp. My son has not played soccer in fours years. In fact, he just graduated from college. As a poster said earlier, it is mostly (if not entirely) a way for assistant coaches to supplement their income

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1336283]
                    That has been my experience too. If your child is not invited, meaning a personal email, contact ,etc.- do not go to any of these camps with any expectations at all. You will be disappointed. My kid has decided to take the money we spent on camps and get private training, working on areas that need improvement.[/QUOTE

we are still getting emails from USF concerning their wonderful camp. My son has not played soccer in fours years. In fact, he just graduated from college. As a poster said earlier, it is mostly (if not entirely) a way for assistant coaches to supplement their income
                    There is something at the bottom of those emails that lets you unsubscribe. If you are still getting them then that is on you. These big schools have enormous databases and unless you ask to be taken off they aren't going to know. Kids just get on these mailing lists and most coaches don't know the majority of them.

I guess you like the attention. Once my player committed we unsubscribed from those where we were just on a mailing list and replied personally to all schools that sent personal emails. Eventually it all stopped.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X