Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Clubs have soccer metrics that measure effectiveness of their paid DOCs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    While I agree with player retention, growth of membership may or may not be a desirable goal if there are insufficient resources (coaches and field space) to maintain a high level of training for the players and teams that are already in place.

Too many DOCs sacrifice quality in the pursuit of quantity. Quantity should be the focus of the local rec leagues, not the competitive programs.
    I think you have to build quantity with the quality into competitive programs. Why invest in marketing to local schools and areas of new population growth with young families, offer mini camps and free trial nights, retain with new and fun development programs, and then Axe! Clubs can't focus on developing young rec to then offer one A competitive team. The A team needs to know there is a competitive B team to scrimmage and work with. What A team wants to lose a few players and then not even have enough players to make a team? Who wants to worry about what new player will move in and knock a player off the A team with no B team to play on. The B teams must feel part of the A teams and training together, as well as know there is is a solid tier or rec team beneath. No B player wants to worry if he will lose his spot and the club offers no High level rec option. Clubs have to have enough depth offering lots of varying levels and options for players. This is also where smaller clubs could really come together to pool players and resources to form elite regional teams.

Comment

I think you have to build quantity with the quality into competitive programs. Why invest in marketing to local schools and areas of new population growth with young families, offer mini camps and free trial nights, retain with new and fun development programs, and then Axe! Clubs can't focus on developing young rec to then offer one A competitive team. The A team needs to know there is a competitive B team to scrimmage and work with. What A team wants to lose a few players and then not even have enough players to make a team? Who wants to worry about what new player will move in and knock a player off the A team with no B team to play on. The B teams must feel part of the A teams and training together, as well as know there is is a solid tier or rec team beneath. No B player wants to worry if he will lose his spot and the club offers no High level rec option. Clubs have to have enough depth offering lots of varying levels and options for players. This is also where smaller clubs could really come together to pool players and resources to form elite regional teams.
      Good post. Theory does not work because parents do not want there child to play on a B team when they can play on the A team just down the road. The other problem that come in is the early developers may get passed by others improve as they age. No parent will accept their child being dropped to b team or the bench on the A team.

Sad state of youth soccer as long as the parents are writing the checks that is how it is going to be

Comment

That is very subjective. How do you measure it...by the win column? When the win column is the measure the development goes out the door.

Players stay when they are happy and feel like they are developing. When parents see their kids happy and improving they aren't out there looking for other options.

In a perfect world this would be true. In the real world, people stay if you win enough, go to the right tournaments or play my kid enough. And yeah, for those clubs doing it right they stay if the kid is happy and developing like you said. I only wish more parents would be more interested in the development of the players because then maybe so would the DOC.

Comment

Good post. Theory does not work because parents do not want there child to play on a B team when they can play on the A team just down the road. The other problem that come in is the early developers may get passed by others improve as they age. No parent will accept their child being dropped to b team or the bench on the A team.

Sad state of youth soccer as long as the parents are writing the checks that is how it is going to be
          That is why it is Directors duty to promote unity and lots of quality A teams: A Elite, A premier, A Gold. Lololol. Parents will accept if you train them in the theory and make all feel a part. Putting great coaches on the A2 and A3 teams is important. The entire pool of A players needs to train, scrimmage, be fluid on need, and have fun and travel on trips (not just for tournaments).

Comment

In a perfect world this would be true. In the real world, people stay if you win enough, go to the right tournaments or play my kid enough. And yeah, for those clubs doing it right they stay if the kid is happy and developing like you said. I only wish more parents would be more interested in the development of the players because then maybe so would the DOC.
            Directors set the tone and need to continually communicate with players and parents about development and goals. If a B team/coach is not developing/retaining then time to look into it, develop coaches more, or bring in co coach or swap coaches. At our club, I witnessed very talented players not make A teams and leave to play on other clubs A (really more like the B at our club) or other clubs' B teams. It is the directors job to have helped retain these good players. A little communication can go a long way in keeping players. Directors can use creativity for placement (bigger rosters to keep elite, dual rostering, playing up, etc..) It is much easier to retain talent than to recruit it. Look at small clubs that have 10 players and beg and work to create a team and then some clubs just brush off losing 10 talented players when it would have been so smart to retain. Once players/parents feel a club does not care or communicate, they leave and do not come back.

Comment

Has the JYSC tournament been cancelled

We were looking to see who was coming to the JYSC southeastern Fury cup, but there is no accepted teams. Actually there is no applied teams either. Is this tournament still going on.

Comment

Directors set the tone and need to continually communicate with players and parents about development and goals. If a B team/coach is not developing/retaining then time to look into it, develop coaches more, or bring in co coach or swap coaches. At our club, I witnessed very talented players not make A teams and leave to play on other clubs A (really more like the B at our club) or other clubs' B teams. It is the directors job to have helped retain these good players. A little communication can go a long way in keeping players. Directors can use creativity for placement (bigger rosters to keep elite, dual rostering, playing up, etc..) It is much easier to retain talent than to recruit it. Look at small clubs that have 10 players and beg and work to create a team and then some clubs just brush off losing 10 talented players when it would have been so smart to retain. Once players/parents feel a club does not care or communicate, they leave and do not come back.

You are 100% correct. And the reason it's not happening enough is that most teams, DOC's, coaches, etc. do not communicate. They would be amazed at how happy they would make families if they would just communicate. I think they would eliminate half of the departures. Communication would not only let people know where they stand and make them feel like part of the organization but could help stop the rumor issues that cause people to leave in the first place.

Comment

Clubs should implement money metric for Directors to retain. Saw a club completely care less about making a third u13 team. The u13 talent and numbers at tryouts were high enough. Even if a few players did not accept third team offer, the club could have easily recruited after other clubs tryouts were complete, pulled up from rec, and added a few more later in summer. Hey, if quality talent is developable and parents ready to pay, go quantity. It is a club's duty to find the "right level" teams for players. Plus, 16 players times 1,000 is 16,000 should give DOC (and u13 coaching team) a monetary bonus. Club profits short and long term rather than its neighboring club!

Comment

Player Retention is the only way.
                    The DOC has failed when top players leave and or won't play there to begin with.

Comment

Player retention is important for survival. However, to me the key measure for any DOC should be player and coach development.
                      No one has really answered the questions? What clubs have soccer metrics in place for its directors? Who evaluates your club's DOC or ED, and gives him/her salary increases based on factors such as retention?

Comment

What clubs have soccer metrics in place for its directors? Who evaluates your club's DOC or ED, and gives him/her salary increases based on factors such as retention?
                        Only those board members evaluating DOCs and EDs can tell us what factors are being considered for salary decisions. As a former board member at an club with at least one team in every male and female age group, I can tell you there were no DOC salary decisions tied to player retention or gain and, with the ever increasing costs of player registrations, the ever increasing costs of field use and maintenance and the ever increasing number and costs of league and tournament play and referees, our highly licensed and experienced DOC did not receive any salary increases during my board tenure.

Comment

If the DOC could develop their own metric, it would be, "How can I pull as much money as I can out of this club while increasing and consolidating my power?"

Comment

Only those board members evaluating DOCs and EDs can tell us what factors are being considered for salary decisions. As a former board member at an club with at least one team in every male and female age group, I can tell you there were no DOC salary decisions tied to player retention or gain and, with the ever increasing costs of player registrations, the ever increasing costs of field use and maintenance and the ever increasing number and costs of league and tournament play and referees, our highly licensed and experienced DOC did not receive any salary increases during my board tenure.
                            Board members are volunteers and change often, therefore there should be consistent, documentable, and measurable expectations in place for Directors. I would think Directors would want fair evaluations reflecting hard work and results for job security and pay increases. No DOC wants a new Board to be able to fire without reason "You're not right for the club".

Comment

No coach wants to be fired by Director and the reason You are not right for team or the direction we want to go. Do Exec Dir have too much power at your club?

Comment

If the DOC could develop their own metric, it would be, "How can I pull as much money as I can out of this club while increasing and consolidating my power?"
                                There are more clubs with a few directors working as a team and not only one DOC has all the power. Directors have different responsibilities/time on job and must be compensated accordingly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X