Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Residency camps are decent training camps where you get coached by college coach but in the end, they are summer camps. They are run by coach invites from other colleges with the head coach walking around and watching periodically. As an example at FSU's camp, our team was coached by St. Leo's Asst Coach. Krikorian walked stopped in periodically to watch, take picture with the kids and moved on.

I suppose if your kid wrote him and sent him film ahead of time, he would pay attention a little more intently. However, unless your kid is a standout while he is watching; he is thinking about getting back to his office to watch game tape on the international players who want to play at FSU.

I will tell you that St. Leo started following the progress of a couple kids from our team over the next couple season's. So in then end its good training, your kids play against teams/players they may not normally see but keep your expectations in check.

As for my kids ODP experience, it was good while young but she grew out of it by U15. ECNL then DA provided more exposure than Alabama so it became a choice of how to allocate funds. After two girls and a son playing I can say ODP still has value but not like it did in the past but, if you don't have access to ECNL or DA and get make ODP, then by all means do it.
    Yes, by and large the college system of ID camps is summer camp with soccer balls. At the big schools, of the 200 or more kids they bring in to an ID camp, the coaches are probably looking specifically at a dozen, maybe a few more, that they have already hand picked, and had constant correspondence between the player and coach. Also, the training can be very up and down. For a kid say under 15 that is looking for soccer training in the summer, and a parent wants to spend the dollars, pick wisely of course so you're sure they really are getting good training and instruction instead of 4 days of small side, and full field scrimmages, then go for it. It's a way for younger kids to learn the process and get better. At the U16 and up, where kids are trying to get noticed for scholarships, don't waste your time unless your son or daughter is in constant communications with schools where you will attend the camp. At that age the camp size will be to large for them to learn much, and no one is watching them anyway if they were not one of the select bunch they invite...and most colleges don't even watch meaningful for girls until U15, and boys until U17.

Comment

The US is a pay-for-play system. The difference between all of those is you still must get selected. So while you still pay, the selection process makes it difficult to get in at DA, or ECNL..and those systems provide much more added benefits for the truly elite players. DA players, if you're exceptional, can get sent to US Training Centers for US Soccer to try-out for national teams, MLS teams scout for kids in the older age groups, and the elite college programs eventually scout DA. So while you must pay, you are being scouted by systems constantly that could mean you eventually don't pay for your child to play. ECNL is not quite as elaborate, but it does provide much greater access. Also, many of those larger clubs with DA, and ECNL have programs to pay for elite players fees if they can't afford it based on need. If you asked ODP to waive your costs because you can't afford...not happening.

Whereas, ODP is really about a localized group of state coaches....a few guys get hand picked for national play on travel ODP teams, while not guaranteeing being scene by the elite opportunities, it certainly is a strong resume builder. ODP is also just a part time gig, and some of those elite guys that are U18 and U19 doing the travel circuit were ex-DA/ECNL or current ones that have been given clearance by their clubs to do the international travel thing. Meaning they became good not because of ODP but because of the everyday training they receive in and around their club in a DA or ECNL type of environment.

Kids can get some good out of ODP if the parents know what they're getting into, and are willing to pay. The key is parents have to realize ODP titles mean nothing, doing some good things there can be nice resume fodder for colleges, but it doesn't develop you enough, it doesn't bring colleges out, it doesn't mean you'll make a top flight DA or ECNL team. Overall the training isn't even great unless you've caught their eye and you're getting the concentrated training and play for the top state ODP team. It just is what it is. Everything is a money grab in childrens athletics these days, but if you've got precious few dollars and you're deciding whether to spend several hundred to send our kid to Alabama, or pay the premium for your child to play on a DA team they were selected from....every day and all day go with the DA, and skip ODP if it's an either, or proposition.
      O hell no- us soccer is a joke.

Comment

OK so what about non ID camps.

anyone know of any camps that contribute something for younger players? like some training or working on things? most of the camps we have been to are just overpriced babysitters that let them play soccer.

Comment

https://www.ussoccer.com/players/m/samantha-mewis#tab-1

��
          A smidge past 5’10- wouldn’t you say?
          Most coaches would confirm that if Messi was born in the US, he would of NEVER been accepted to any elite teams because of his size!

Comment

Most coaches would confirm that if Messi was born in the US, he would of NEVER been accepted to any elite teams because of his size!
            Who are most coaches? There are some down right fantastic players that are sub 5-10 playing within the DA MLS system. One player from the Bay Area on Atlanta United comes to mind. Messi's problem wouldn't have been his size, it would have been being recognized because the pay-to-play system in the US is a meat grinder. Many great players never get found, and to cultivate your talents in the US, to become what Messi has become, he would have struggled to find the proper development set-up in the US since it's very limited unless you have a parent or friend with connections. I think your statement is a bit outlandish referring to Messi, but overall US Soccer, and colleges do concentrate more on athleticism and size. They do overseas as well, but in countries in Europe they're able to separate the talent easier because they're all on academies and then size doesn't matter as much when you see all the kids with skill. They're able to differentiate much better who has all the qualities they need, instead of just using measurements to gauge. In the US all that talent is spread over a much wider array of programs, training, and systems so we do not consolidate it very well, and therefore lose the ability to truly pick the true elite.

It's all about what you bring to the table. Colleges, and many systems and programs like the larger athletes that are fast, and physical, but they've got to bring skill and a real soccer acumen. I've seen lots of kids that are 6-2+ with all the physical traits but they don't know what to do with the ball in space, or know where to be without the ball. Sadly, in the US, some coaches don't know the difference, they see the size, they see the athleticism, and they see them dominate inferior athletes on a field, but it isn't until they get within the college system that they learn this kid doesn't have that soccer mind, and when around equally as athletic kids he gets lost. Lots of smaller kids workout well too, but if you're sub 5-10 you're probably going to be a midfielder, that means you have to be smooth, and super fluid, with lots of short range quickness, ball control, and a very high soccer IQ to make it at a high level to college or further, and if you're that size and playing on the outside then you better have very good speed. The larger athletes are fortunate because it's easier to project them at positions, particularly for college, forward, winger, centerbacks, even outside backs...coaches feel more comfortable with that larger, more athletically gifted athlete.

Comment

Agree.

Comment

Between size and his parents spending what little money they had on his medical treatment, and thus not being able to buy his way in he most certainly wouldn't have been looked at by anyone. He would have been the MVP of the TARSA league and grew up to be a great IT guy. I don't need any coaches or experts to tell me that.

Comment

Who are most coaches? There are some down right fantastic players that are sub 5-10 playing within the DA MLS system. One player from the Bay Area on Atlanta United comes to mind. Messi's problem wouldn't have been his size, it would have been being recognized because the pay-to-play system in the US is a meat grinder. Many great players never get found, and to cultivate your talents in the US, to become what Messi has become, he would have struggled to find the proper development set-up in the US since it's very limited unless you have a parent or friend with connections. I think your statement is a bit outlandish referring to Messi, but overall US Soccer, and colleges do concentrate more on athleticism and size. They do overseas as well, but in countries in Europe they're able to separate the talent easier because they're all on academies and then size doesn't matter as much when you see all the kids with skill. They're able to differentiate much better who has all the qualities they need, instead of just using measurements to gauge. In the US all that talent is spread over a much wider array of programs, training, and systems so we do not consolidate it very well, and therefore lose the ability to truly pick the true elite.

It's all about what you bring to the table. Colleges, and many systems and programs like the larger athletes that are fast, and physical, but they've got to bring skill and a real soccer acumen. I've seen lots of kids that are 6-2+ with all the physical traits but they don't know what to do with the ball in space, or know where to be without the ball. Sadly, in the US, some coaches don't know the difference, they see the size, they see the athleticism, and they see them dominate inferior athletes on a field, but it isn't until they get within the college system that they learn this kid doesn't have that soccer mind, and when around equally as athletic kids he gets lost. Lots of smaller kids workout well too, but if you're sub 5-10 you're probably going to be a midfielder, that means you have to be smooth, and super fluid, with lots of short range quickness, ball control, and a very high soccer IQ to make it at a high level to college or further, and if you're that size and playing on the outside then you better have very good speed. The larger athletes are fortunate because it's easier to project them at positions, particularly for college, forward, winger, centerbacks, even outside backs...coaches feel more comfortable with that larger, more athletically gifted athlete.
                  Lady or Dude, I was at the ODP tryout, they had a meeting with the parents and they said and I quote "size matters'! I don't agree with it because there are girls you are more than capable and can run circles around some of these bigger or early developed kids but for the most part, if your big and strong, you get the nod!

Comment

Wait, what???

Lady or Dude, I was at the ODP tryout, they had a meeting with the parents and they said and I quote "size matters'! I don't agree with it because there are girls you are more than capable and can run circles around some of these bigger or early developed kids but for the most part, if your big and strong, you get the nod!
                    Wait ... what did they say? They told the girls that “size matters”.... better they learn that now I suppose.

Comment

I was there for the 2006 girls meeting. Not sure what age group you are talking about but that was NEVER mentioned at 2006 girls parent meeting.

Comment

Wait ... what did they say? They told the girls that “size matters”.... better they learn that now I suppose.
                        They told that to the parents! lol

Comment

I was there for the 2006 girls meeting. Not sure what age group you are talking about but that was NEVER mentioned at 2006 girls parent meeting.
                          yep they stated it at the first try outs in Fort Myers as the girls took the field!

Comment

yep they stated it at the first try outs in Fort Myers as the girls took the field!
                            Which coach??

Comment

Which coach??
                              Don't know his name but taller grayish gentlemen. Why?

Comment

Agreed! No offense to those kids that are "size-challenged" but in every sport, size is preferable and speed is preferable and if you have size and speed every egotistical coach will think they can teach you the sport. Fact.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X