Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    People are so caught up in structure. Fear of loss. These are the coaches and clubs you want to avoid. very few people do. Playing games and getting better includes losing. Includes trying things etc. This is one reason why we will never be what we could unless things change .
    Clubs need a constant inflow of customers and cash. They are businesses. Their customers, rightly or wrongly, focus on results as a proxy for development. The league focuses on results by having standings and playoffs and player statistics. It's hard to change consumer mentality, especially quickly, but the league could lead the charge by changing their ways.

Comment

LISC joined EDP for the Fall Season

Another one bites the dust...

Comment

No one surprised by that.

Comment

Huh? No DA?

Comment

Where is that coming from?

Comment

Where is that coming from?
              THis has been rumored for quite awhile, even before other clubs started dropping out. They never should have been in DA to begin with and were a prime example of USSF just looking for a geographic placeholder, not a club that met their specifications. Other tan losing local teams to play I don't think anyone will miss them.

Comment

THis has been rumored for quite awhile, even before other clubs started dropping out. They never should have been in DA to begin with and were a prime example of USSF just looking for a geographic placeholder, not a club that met their specifications. Other tan losing local teams to play I don't think anyone will miss them.
                Yes, no surprise at them not continuning in GDA (it would be interesting to know if they backed down or USSF didn't renew them). But, what I meant was the source of them playing in EDP, but I see now that was LM.

What does surprise me is that they are even going to continue as a "club" and try to field teams in various age groups. I guess they have little risk and can scale back if no one shows up to tryouts or commits afterwards.

Comment

That comes from the top -- GDA keeps standings which lead to playoffs. Clubs are evaluated on how well they do (i.e., who wants to be part of a club that is in the bottom of the standings, even if most games were close?) The whole aspect of being focused around a competitive national league needs to be rethought -- eliminate standings for most of the games and maybe more meaningful development could occur.
                  Evaluated by who? Yet on clubs with the very best players, quite a few of them play perhaps half the season. some waivers, some YNT call ups. parents need to do the evaluating. The mentality of joining the Club that already wins is beyond shallow. Crates no accountability and a place to hide in many cases.

Comment

or perhaps USSF giving a team a chance to prove it belonged in the first year. I would hate to really analyze many of you folks becasue the way you write , you never ever made any mistakes at anything. got every decision you ever made right.

If LISC had been a success it would have benefited everyone. Instead you have the armchair critics saying i told you so.

Jeez. Its year ONE

Comment

or perhaps USSF giving a team a chance to prove it belonged in the first year. I would hate to really analyze many of you folks becasue the way you write , you never ever made any mistakes at anything. got every decision you ever made right.

If LISC had been a success it would have benefited everyone. Instead you have the armchair critics saying i told you so.

Jeez. Its year ONE
                      First off, the folks at USSF are getting paid a decent salary to think nothing about the youth soccer landscape. So they don't get a pass for a year when they are messing with everyone.

Secondly, do you even know the history of LISC? They didn't have their act together from the start. OK they tried something given the circumstances of other parties dropping out, but at the end of the day they didn't have the player pool for the league they were trying to compete in. Everyone knew that before they played their first game. It was going to be a disaster. Then they aligned themselves with some pretty poor coaches as well.

GDA was supposed to be for a very small pool of players who are YNT caliber -- how many did LISC really have? And if parents who are there feel that is an unfair characterization, then they are the ones partly responsible for the problem as they don't have an honest assessment of their child's talent level. But hey, they got to say they played in the Academy for a year at least.

Comment

Jeez. Its year ONE
                        It is completely indicative of the failures at USSF. They went for size over quality, not just locally but nationally. They discounted the draw of HS sports and the strength of a well entrenched ECNL. Now they look more the fools that clubs and players are pulling out. Countless people predicted this mess but USSF didn't listen. So we're supposed to trust that this is the best league for our kids? Nope. We're going for the best CLUB, not league.

Comment

It is completely indicative of the failures at USSF. They went for size over quality, not just locally but nationally. They discounted the draw of HS sports and the strength of a well entrenched ECNL. Now they look more the fools that clubs and players are pulling out. Countless people predicted this mess but USSF didn't listen. So we're supposed to trust that this is the best league for our kids? Nope. We're going for the best CLUB, not league.
                          The league needs to be factored into any decision because it drives a lot of costs depending on the travel required. But the coaching, competitive level, cost, location, travel burden (league) all need to be factored in to making a good choice. There are no perfect options in youth soccer except for male studs that live close to funded academies. League alone should not drive the decision.

Comment

First off, the folks at USSF are getting paid a decent salary to think nothing about the youth soccer landscape. So they don't get a pass for a year when they are messing with everyone.

Secondly, do you even know the history of LISC? They didn't have their act together from the start. OK they tried something given the circumstances of other parties dropping out, but at the end of the day they didn't have the player pool for the league they were trying to compete in. Everyone knew that before they played their first game. It was going to be a disaster. Then they aligned themselves with some pretty poor coaches as well.

GDA was supposed to be for a very small pool of players who are YNT caliber -- how many did LISC really have? And if parents who are there feel that is an unfair characterization, then they are the ones partly responsible for the problem as they don't have an honest assessment of their child's talent level. But hey, they got to say they played in the Academy for a year at least.
                            was it? you seem an expert on GDA. To me GDA is jsut another lable. you pick a coach at a club with a DoC you trust and go from there. ECNL , GDA they are just letters that determine how much travel you will do and who else you will play. Most of that stuff has ups and downs adn is a small piece of the development puzzle.

You win games based on how many players you can attract and the initially quality they have. Given this is a relatively mature market, ANY new team is going to struggle unless they luck into talent.

It makes no sense to judge a team on the basis of results only. From what i sw, there wre payer on LISC who improved a lot from the first time we played them to the second. I wish them all luck.

people need to stop with the GDA this , ECNL that. its ALL about specific clubs and coaches.

Comment

was it? you seem an expert on GDA. To me GDA is jsut another lable. you pick a coach at a club with a DoC you trust and go from there. ECNL , GDA they are just letters that determine how much travel you will do and who else you will play. Most of that stuff has ups and downs adn is a small piece of the development puzzle.

You win games based on how many players you can attract and the initially quality they have. Given this is a relatively mature market, ANY new team is going to struggle unless they luck into talent.

It makes no sense to judge a team on the basis of results only. From what i sw, there wre payer on LISC who improved a lot from the first time we played them to the second. I wish them all luck.

people need to stop with the GDA this , ECNL that. its ALL about specific clubs and coaches.
                              Okay so based on your logic, "picking a club with a coach and DOC you trust" not one kid should've been playing at LISC. The "club" materialized out of thin air when East Meadow wanted to have a hand in GDA but wasn't willing to give up ECNL so they "bestowed" their GDA badge to some buddies that were involved in Rough Riders.

There was never a formal DOC anointed, just a bunch of people called technical advisors, who are or were involved in mediocre to flat out awful girls programs and a Hofstra coach who had little to do with the program, but collected a salary for giving the club access to Hofstra fields.

Then they basically handed the program over to the biggest POS involved in LI youth soccer-Maria Logan. Barely licensed, she's a horrible trainer with no track record of even a modicum of success or college placement who spent most of her time poaching players from Kurt Kelley trying to convince them that SHE was the only one looking out for them and could help them in ways Kurt couldn't. The only one that piece of crap is looking out for is herself!!!

Comment

Yes, GDA's goal is to foster talent for the NT pool. They don't care about college paths, except as it relates to prepping those unicorns for being ready for NT duties. They don't care about most players really...they know they need them to have clubs and leagues and $$$ to fund the pipeline. At the end of the day, they only are looking to improve their NT pool. That is it.

And as for LISC, there was a constant revolving door. They only improved because in some cases they got new talent to show up (and sometimes breaking DA rules by allowing them to play in multiple leagues beyond the 6 games max as DP...they also let players play in HS and GDA simultaneously).

And talk to parents in Fury GDA. Do they feel it's any different than being at Alby? No. Same issues, same politics, same coaches.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X