Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    UF maybe but the other schools are not that difficult. There is still a big difference betweeb admitted versus enrolled when you have 40,000 students submitting applications. USF and UCF are getting more competitive but still considered fall back schools for most.
    FSU - for fall ‘19 - 52,000 applications and 6,200 seats

Comment

UF maybe but the other schools are not that difficult. There is still a big difference betweeb admitted versus enrolled when you have 40,000 students submitting applications. USF and UCF are getting more competitive but still considered fall back schools for most.
      The admitted v.s. enrolled argument seems so strange to me. When I went to college UF was a safety school. The idea that someone would get into both UF and say, Yale, and not go to Yale seems unrealistic. The idea that kids need to start worrying about college in middle school is crazy. That is, until you read Jaime Diamond's speech about inequality in America. 40% of our country makes less than $15 per hour? That's crazy - a modest apartment where we live would rent for well over $1000 a month. That leaves $1,400 for food, gas, electricity, and medical insurance. No wonder the competition is so tough - get into college or be poor!

Comment

The admitted v.s. enrolled argument seems so strange to me. When I went to college UF was a safety school. The idea that someone would get into both UF and say, Yale, and not go to Yale seems unrealistic. The idea that kids need to start worrying about college in middle school is crazy. That is, until you read Jaime Diamond's speech about inequality in America. 40% of our country makes less than $15 per hour? That's crazy - a modest apartment where we live would rent for well over $1000 a month. That leaves $1,400 for food, gas, electricity, and medical insurance. No wonder the competition is so tough - get into college or be poor!
        Need a 1500 to get into Yale and that is not in everyone’s hand of cards.

Comment

The SAT is now racist? Ugh.
          When minority households tend to be less well off they are also less able to pay for pricey test prep classes or tutors. There is a HUGE gap between white scores and those of blacks and Hispanics (while Asians generally kick everyone's butts)

"The mean score on the math section of the SAT for all test-takers is 511 out of 800, the average scores for blacks (428) and Latinos (457) are significantly below those of whites (534) and Asians (598). The scores of black and Latino students are clustered towards the bottom of the distribution, while white scores are relatively normally distributed, and Asians are clustered at the top" https://www.brookings.edu/research/r...ward-mobility/

Another analysis of the UC system found race a stronger predictor of SAT scores than family income and family education levels

"But a new, long-term analysis of SAT scores has found that, among applicants to the University of California's campuses, race and ethnicity have become stronger predictors of SAT scores than family income and parental education levels. Further, the study has found that all three factors -- race/ethnicity, family income and parental education levels -- now predict one-third of the variance in SAT scores among otherwise similar students, up from a quarter in 1994. In other words, a larger share of SAT variance today than in 1994 may be predicted based on where and to whom a child is born"

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...res-california

Here's a good example of the racial inequities in our education system. A handful of NYC's black and Hispanic students et accepted into the city's top eight high schools. At one, 7 black students were offered seats out of nearly 1000. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/n...h-schools.html

So, all of the above relates to long standing gaps in educational opportunities and family resources for minorities vs whites. Then there's the question of whether the test itself may be biased, particularly the English portion

"The SAT has frequently been criticized for the cultural advantage it provides for wealthy whites. The test has been blamed for widening the achievement gap between whites and minorities. While the math section is objective, the critical reading section and writing section describe topics associated mostly with the white demographic. Often the passages are about subjects that white, upper class students are more exposed to. The verbal section favors white students by using language with which they are more familiar than non-white students."
          https://mic.com/articles/8582/sat-ra...nts#.WUfu2r2Nd

Comment

Need a 1500 to get into Yale and that is not in everyone’s hand of cards.
            And often times a 1500 that isn't accompanied by ten EC's and starting your own non profit won't get you in.

Comment

But the $15/hour isn't among college grads. Millions of students go to many of America's fine colleges, get a degree and make a good living without going to a "top" school. Parents need to get some friggin' perspective on this. Know your kid, what kind of learner they are, what makes them tick. Find a school where they can thrive and succeed. It's out there.

Comment

When minority households tend to be less well off they are also less able to pay for pricey test prep classes or tutors. There is a HUGE gap between white scores and those of blacks and Hispanics (while Asians generally kick everyone's butts)

"The mean score on the math section of the SAT for all test-takers is 511 out of 800, the average scores for blacks (428) and Latinos (457) are significantly below those of whites (534) and Asians (598). The scores of black and Latino students are clustered towards the bottom of the distribution, while white scores are relatively normally distributed, and Asians are clustered at the top" https://www.brookings.edu/research/r...ward-mobility/

Another analysis of the UC system found race a stronger predictor of SAT scores than family income and family education levels

"But a new, long-term analysis of SAT scores has found that, among applicants to the University of California's campuses, race and ethnicity have become stronger predictors of SAT scores than family income and parental education levels. Further, the study has found that all three factors -- race/ethnicity, family income and parental education levels -- now predict one-third of the variance in SAT scores among otherwise similar students, up from a quarter in 1994. In other words, a larger share of SAT variance today than in 1994 may be predicted based on where and to whom a child is born"

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...res-california

Here's a good example of the racial inequities in our education system. A handful of NYC's black and Hispanic students et accepted into the city's top eight high schools. At one, 7 black students were offered seats out of nearly 1000. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/n...h-schools.html

So, all of the above relates to long standing gaps in educational opportunities and family resources for minorities vs whites. Then there's the question of whether the test itself may be biased, particularly the English portion

"The SAT has frequently been criticized for the cultural advantage it provides for wealthy whites. The test has been blamed for widening the achievement gap between whites and minorities. While the math section is objective, the critical reading section and writing section describe topics associated mostly with the white demographic. Often the passages are about subjects that white, upper class students are more exposed to. The verbal section favors white students by using language with which they are more familiar than non-white students."
                https://mic.com/articles/8582/sat-ra...nts#.WUfu2r2Nd
                LMFAO. You are quoting an article written by an online news agency, that is owned by a hedge fund. The management team is a textbook definition of liberal elite and for-profit education. Oh yeah, totally independent journalism. Maybe check your sources before posting such slanted info. Wow.

Comment

LMFAO. You are quoting an article written by an online news agency, that is owned by a hedge fund. The management team is a textbook definition of liberal elite and for-profit education. Oh yeah, totally independent journalism. Maybe check your sources before posting such slanted info. Wow.
                  Plus who needs a damn article to know that a poor single mother does not have the same ability to retain college placement as a wealthy person?

Comment

Plus who needs a damn article to know that a poor single mother does not have the same ability to retain college placement as a wealthy person?
                    I actually have some faith in our public education system and that kids can excel in it and get advisement from counselors. These are not hopeless studebts. UF, FSU, UCF and USF have 20% and up of first generation freshmen admitted. However navigation to the higher colleges of MIT may take more. The Florida colleges have almost gone overboard with affirmative action, balancing low income and race diversity on campuses, making sure to admit students from every high school and county. The resources and advancement supports are there for every student but not every student takes advantage of them. Our kid’s counselor said he was on track for UF but no guarantees and said UF’s admissions process is ‘ridiculous’. In hindsight our kid should not have settled for the raw first test score that was excellent and taken a test prep class to raise scores, should have not taken electives and been an office assistant that did not weight the gpa higher, or thought out the essay more to show what could bring to the college. Our kid could have spent more time on polishing the essay and application too. There are tricks to the application game that many kids, rich or poor, white or Hispanic, whatever just don’t know. Those kids with the college application advisors helping with the polishing of the application might have more of an advantage when the college looks past the test scores.

Comment

UF and FSU might admit up to 80% of the same exact top students in Florida but then the students decide to enroll in one. By only admitting every Florida and National applicant with a 4.5 and 1400 the universities admissions acceptance criteria looks high but it will admit a few underreprested minorities under the mean. The universities have to admit more than they expect will actually enroll, only about 6,500 for each. UCF and USF can admit and enroll many more students because they have more forms and teaching professors for freshman students. UCF and USF each enroll three times as many freshman and maintain an incoming freshman class with a mean around 4.15 and 1300 SAT.

Comment

UF and FSU might admit up to 80% of the same exact top students in Florida but then the students decide to enroll in one. By only admitting every Florida and National applicant with a 4.5 and 1400 the universities admissions acceptance criteria looks high but it will admit a few underreprested minorities under the mean. The universities have to admit more than they expect will actually enroll, only about 6,500 for each. UCF and USF can admit and enroll many more students because they have more forms and teaching professors for freshman students. UCF and USF each enroll three times as many freshman and maintain an incoming freshman class with a mean around 4.15 and 1300 SAT.
                        The difference between a 1300 and 1400 score is huge. As a second generation immigrant and a first generation college graduate, I find the assertion that minorities are disadvantage quite flawed Both my kids were accepted into private universities but in the end; free is free. They did not have bright futures in Florida scholars when I was a kid so working Was a necessity while going to college. I’ve busted my butt to ensure my kids don’t have to go through the same thing. We are not wealthy but I pray to God my kids are and that my grandkids or even wealthier after that. Work hard study hard And keep what you earn And pass it on To your children’s children.

Comment

The difference between a 1300 and 1400 score is huge. As a second generation immigrant and a first generation college graduate, I find the assertion that minorities are disadvantage quite flawed Both my kids were accepted into private universities but in the end; free is free. They did not have bright futures in Florida scholars when I was a kid so working Was a necessity while going to college. I’ve busted my butt to ensure my kids don’t have to go through the same thing. We are not wealthy but I pray to God my kids are and that my grandkids or even wealthier after that. Work hard study hard And keep what you earn And pass it on To your children’s children.
                          It is time to stop treating minorities as needing special considerations. They are in private and public schools across America like most other students. A 1300 is at the 88%ile and 1400 is at the 92%ile nationally but still won’t be able to predict hard work and future success.

Comment

It is time to stop treating minorities as needing special considerations. They are in private and public schools across America like most other students. A 1300 is at the 88%ile and 1400 is at the 92%ile nationally but still won’t be able to predict hard work and future success.
                            Says the white guy

Comment

Says the white guy
                              Boosting minority students including international students is more about making the school look like it is more diverse and that it can offer every student a boost from the diversity experienced.

Comment

Boosting minority students including international students is more about making the school look like it is more diverse and that it can offer every student a boost from the diversity experienced.
                                It is also intended to create opportunities for those disadvantaged because of the zip code they're born in to, which is highly correlated to the color of their skin. Public education is the US is not egalitarian. We like to believe the American dream of hard work and perseverance will bring you success, but it just isn't that easy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X