Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Yale Coach, Rudy Meredith, Takes Helm of Federal Correctional Inst. Team!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Chair for this SOB!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/s...gtype=Homepage

As Rudy Meredith was inducted into the Connecticut Soccer Hall of Fame in January to honor his 24-year run as Yale women’s soccer coach, he sprinkled his hallmark humor and humility throughout his remarks....Despite Mr. Meredith’s placid demeanor, people who knew him best had recently begun to detect changes in his behavior. He seemed to be more anxious. He appeared less enthusiastic about soccer, even before he resigned as Yale’s coach in November. He paid little attention to recruiting. He played poorly in pickleball, a paddle sport he usually excelled at....In a Boston hotel on April 12, 2018, Mr. Meredith solicited a $450,000 bribe from the parent of a prospective college student in exchange for saving a Yale soccer recruitment spot for his daughter. Mr. Meredith took $2,000 from the parent, and directed the parent to wire future payments to a bank account in Connecticut. But the F.B.I. was secretly recording the conversation, the charging documents said. Then six days later, the parent, who was working with the authorities, wired $4,000 to Mr. Meredith from a bank account in Boston that the F.B.I. controlled, giving the government evidence of wire fraud..."

"In recent years, Yale’s teams did not perform as well as they had in the 2000s, and players and friends began to suspect that Mr. Meredith was no longer as gung-ho about soccer. Adele Jackson-Gibson, a Yale goalkeeper who graduated in 2013 and is now a freelance writer in Brooklyn, said she “could feel people become more defeated over time.” She added, “People seem tired and a little bit checked out. Some players, speaking on condition of anonymity so as not to be ensnared in the investigation, also began to notice a player or two, every couple of years, who did not belong on a Division I team, based on “In the soccer community, we’re saddened by Rudy’s personal involvement, whatever that may be,” he said. “I think more people are angry that more deserving players were overlooked.”their skill level. Some of those players came from wealthy families, prompting speculation that their parents had donated money in exchange for coveted recruiting spots....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

As Rudy Meredith was inducted into the Connecticut Soccer Hall of Fame in January to honor his 24-year run as Yale women’s soccer coach, he sprinkled his hallmark humor and humility throughout his remarks....Despite Mr. Meredith’s placid demeanor, people who knew him best had recently begun to detect changes in his behavior. He seemed to be more anxious. He appeared less enthusiastic about soccer, even before he resigned as Yale’s coach in November. He paid little attention to recruiting. He played poorly in pickleball, a paddle sport he usually excelled at....In a Boston hotel on April 12, 2018, Mr. Meredith solicited a $450,000 bribe from the parent of a prospective college student in exchange for saving a Yale soccer recruitment spot for his daughter. Mr. Meredith took $2,000 from the parent, and directed the parent to wire future payments to a bank account in Connecticut. But the F.B.I. was secretly recording the conversation, the charging documents said. Then six days later, the parent, who was working with the authorities, wired $4,000 to Mr. Meredith from a bank account in Boston that the F.B.I. controlled, giving the government evidence of wire fraud..."

"In recent years, Yale’s teams did not perform as well as they had in the 2000s, and players and friends began to suspect that Mr. Meredith was no longer as gung-ho about soccer. Adele Jackson-Gibson, a Yale goalkeeper who graduated in 2013 and is now a freelance writer in Brooklyn, said she “could feel people become more defeated over time.” She added, “People seem tired and a little bit checked out. Some players, speaking on condition of anonymity so as not to be ensnared in the investigation, also began to notice a player or two, every couple of years, who did not belong on a Division I team, based on “In the soccer community, we’re saddened by Rudy’s personal involvement, whatever that may be,” he said. “I think more people are angry that more deserving players were overlooked.”their skill level. Some of those players came from wealthy families, prompting speculation that their parents had donated money in exchange for coveted recruiting spots....
      What about the verbal commits who shutdown their recruiting. Now they have to deal with a new coach. Gotta feel for those kids.

Comment

I see you're still bitter. Yale doesn't want angry parents and their kids.

Comment

What about the verbal commits who shutdown their recruiting. Now they have to deal with a new coach. Gotta feel for those kids.
          Ivy admissions is so tricky as it is because of the admissions piece. Kids shouldn't "commit" (all verbal anyway) to an Ivy early. There's always some who end up disappointed and scrambling for a spot elsewhere. As for the new coach that can happen anywhere else as well - one of the many risks of committing early vs say junior year. The new Yale coach isn't a big name at all and pretty young and now he's been thrown into the spotlight with this scandal too

Comment

This article makes several good points. This is a serious matter, and I am sure that Coach Meredith will be punished accordingly by our criminal justice system. Also, he will likely never be able to obtain a job in his profession again, just by default.

Comment

Ha Ha! Can you just see those rich parents now?...scrambling to find private coaching for their kids so they can quickly learn some soccer skills they can demonstrate?

Kids on the "wait list" may have shot now.

Comment

Press Release: Federal Correctional Institute, Danbury, Connecticut is pleased to announce the Appointment of Rudy Meredith (formerly of Yale) as the new Carlo and Mary Gambino named Head Soccer Coach.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...kKP/story.html

It started, improbably, with a securities fraud investigation out of Boston, a so-called pump-and-dump stock scam that extended overseas.

FBI agents and federal prosecutors quickly homed in on a financial executive, according to several people familiar with the case, who said he was willing to cooperate with authorities. He also offered investigators a tantalizing tip, one entirely unrelated to stock prices — a Yale University women’s soccer coach had asked him for a bribe to help get his daughter admitted into the elite school.

By April 2018, the executive was wearing a recording device for the FBI when he met with coach Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith in a hotel room in Boston. For a payment of $450,000, Meredith said, he would be willing to designate the executive’s daughter as a recruit for the team, all but guaranteeing her acceptance. Meredith left with a $2,000 down payment, court records say.

https://www.yourtango.com/2019322706...-cheating-scam

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X