Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’d love to know what you think “under invested” is. If you mean letting my kid decide what she wants out of soccer and supporting what she wants by driving her to practice (not watching practice), making sure she’s taking care of her body and mind, watching her games (not screaming and yelling on the sidelines), not inserting myself into her relationship with her coaches and not arguing about her team on anonymous online forums, I guess you’ve got me.

She hasn’t quit and she loves playing on her ECNL team.
    Do you think I would be referring to you as an ECNL parent being under invested? What are you $6000 deep half way through the year for one kid. Three practices a week with film training and cross country tournaments. Didn’t you throw the ECNL thing in to show how proud you are of your kid? Careful don’t be be proud of your 9 year old cause then you’re crazy. The rest of what you said I agree with except I don’t see the harm in watching your kids practice as long as you don’t interrogate them the whole ride home and just let them know how proud and how much you love them. Be careful ECNL level can cause burnout and cause a lot of stress too. Make sure you don’t play in a less competitive league with their friends just for fun cause you’ll be attacked for that too.

Comment

Best part of COVID19: keeping parents away from practices, for sure!

Comment

Do you think I would be referring to you as an ECNL parent being under invested? What are you $6000 deep half way through the year for one kid. Three practices a week with film training and cross country tournaments. Didn’t you throw the ECNL thing in to show how proud you are of your kid? Careful don’t be be proud of your 9 year old cause then you’re crazy. The rest of what you said I agree with except I don’t see the harm in watching your kids practice as long as you don’t interrogate them the whole ride home and just let them know how proud and how much you love them. Be careful ECNL level can cause burnout and cause a lot of stress too. Make sure you don’t play in a less competitive league with their friends just for fun cause you’ll be attacked for that too.
        Well, your dollar figure is not even close. My point of saying that was that my kid has carved her own path, to what some would consider a high level, despite my being what you might call "under invested" (I believe that your original point was that a kid like mine would get "cut before high school"). ECNL definitely can cause stress and burnout--particularly in kids that aren't having fun anymore. That's why I think it's important to let kids take the lead when they are young and keep it fun. There will be plenty of time for stress if they decide they want to play at a high level (that's certainly not just ECNL--there are other options). Fortunately, my kid is still having fun. As far as parents watching practice (especially at the young ages)--it will ultimately be a distraction to your kid and they will probably play less freely (regardless of whether you ask about practice after). Coaches will tell you that they don't care, but they would prefer that you drop your kid and leave.

Just communicating my experiences and what I have seen play out over and over through the years. Take it or leave it.

Comment

Well, your dollar figure is not even close. My point of saying that was that my kid has carved her own path, to what some would consider a high level, despite my being what you might call "under invested" (I believe that your original point was that a kid like mine would get "cut before high school"). ECNL definitely can cause stress and burnout--particularly in kids that aren't having fun anymore. That's why I think it's important to let kids take the lead when they are young and keep it fun. There will be plenty of time for stress if they decide they want to play at a high level (that's certainly not just ECNL--there are other options). Fortunately, my kid is still having fun. As far as parents watching practice (especially at the young ages)--it will ultimately be a distraction to your kid and they will probably play less freely (regardless of whether you ask about practice after). Coaches will tell you that they don't care, but they would prefer that you drop your kid and leave.

Just communicating my experiences and what I have seen play out over and over through the years. Take it or leave it.
          I agree watching should be done from a distance as not to be a distraction. As far as the money. I try to forget what this is costing me too. Let me know if you found an ECNL team that wasn’t charging you 3000-4000 to play. A kit for about 4-5 hundred. A Florida trip. Gas for all the mileage. Congratulations if you got a deal.

Comment

I agree watching should be done from a distance as not to be a distraction. As far as the money. I try to forget what this is costing me too. Let me know if you found an ECNL team that wasn’t charging you 3000-4000 to play. A kit for about 4-5 hundred. A Florida trip. Gas for all the mileage. Congratulations if you got a deal.
            Ohhhh so I see this thread is now turning anti ECNL, hmmm maybe because Ambush, I mean NEFC is not in ECNL so now we are going to rip on them too? Ugh it never ends.

Comment

Our club’s tuition is under 3k. We pay for our own travel, obviously, but showcase/tournament fees are included in tuition. I think uniforms were 350 (every 2 years). You certainly drive further for some league games (distance to CFC and FSA for the MA teams is fine). Of course it costs more in travel than playing in NEP, but people know that before accepting a spot.

Comment

Ohhhh so I see this thread is now turning anti ECNL, hmmm maybe because Ambush, I mean NEFC is not in ECNL so now we are going to rip on them too? Ugh it never ends.
                GA (and even DPL) at NEFC is not cheaper than either of the ECNL clubs. I have good friends with kids at both of those levels at NEFC. And when this discussion originally went to “over invested” parents, I wasn’t referring to money. Club soccer on the whole is expensive. Regardless of where your kid plays (unless they are a boy at an MLS academy). GA and ECNL will cost the most for travel. This is not surprising.

Comment

Look at the NEFC U19 GA roster. 95% are Division 1 scholarship kids or Ivy League bound. Very similar to the Stars ECNL team and South shore selects GA team. It is expensive and time consuming, but it leads to scholarships. The reality is it may be a 20k investment over a 3 year period, but if it gets you 120K in money for athletics at Villanova or holy cross/BU/BC or Penn St or gets your kid into Yale or Dartmouth it was worth it. How do you argue with that ?

Comment

I don't see anything specifically anti-ECNL. The point is, all this club soccer stuff costs money. Travel for ECNL or GA or whatever costs more money.

Comment

Look at the NEFC U19 GA roster. 95% are Division 1 scholarship kids or Ivy League bound. Very similar to the Stars ECNL team and South shore selects GA team. It is expensive and time consuming, but it leads to scholarships. The reality is it may be a 20k investment over a 3 year period, but if it gets you 120K in money for athletics at Villanova or holy cross/BU/BC or Penn St or gets your kid into Yale or Dartmouth it was worth it. How do you argue with that ?
                      If your kid starts playing club soccer at Ulittle, then you aren't just paying for club soccer over a 3-year period. Also, if the goal is solely to get into Yale then it's cheaper to start hitting the books harder instead of paying for club soccer. IMHO this is only worth if your kid actually wants to play soccer.

Comment

You really wanna keep taking shots? Be careful who you trust when you tell them things about your kid. Seriously, hope those appointments are working out. I have a lot more where that came from if you wanna keep this up. Please try me.
                        Someone’s feeling a little unhinged

Comment

If your kid starts playing club soccer at Ulittle, then you aren't just paying for club soccer over a 3-year period. Also, if the goal is solely to get into Yale then it's cheaper to start hitting the books harder instead of paying for club soccer. IMHO this is only worth if your kid actually wants to play soccer.
                          That’s silly, club travel picks up freshman thru Junior year, the heart of the recruiting cycle. Hit the books? That’s your response? The goal is to get into an Ivy League school that is off the charts Uber competitive. All those kids are “hitting the books”. Soccer gets you in against all the other fabulous students who apply. The head coach supports your admission and almost always puts a kid over the top. It’s a massive leg up. To pretend it isn’t is asinine

Comment

That’s silly, club travel picks up freshman thru Junior year, the heart of the recruiting cycle.
                            Again, if your kid starts playing at Ulittle, the financial commitment is much more than just paying for 3 years. You are paying for club soccer starting much earlier than 3 years before graduation, plus increasing travel in middle school, etc.on top of the travel and other expenses during recruiting years.

Hit the books? That’s your response? The goal is to get into an Ivy League school that is off the charts Uber competitive. All those kids are “hitting the books”. Soccer gets you in against all the other fabulous students who apply. The head coach supports your admission and almost always puts a kid over the top. It’s a massive leg up. To pretend it isn’t is asinine
                            That's all IF your kid ends up good enough to get recruited at an Ivy to play soccer. That's a lot of commitment to club soccer if the purpose is only to get a leg up for Ivy admissions. Imagine what they could do if they put that time and effort into more academic-related stuff. So no, it isn't asinine to say it's cheaper to hit the books. Now if they love soccer and actually want to play soccer in college then it's a different story.

Comment

You are overestimating scholarship numbers. For girls, schools only have 3 or 4 per class. Signing classes exceed that number meaning some players are not receiving scholarship money. If you are looking at club soccer as an investment, it is one with high risk.

Comment

You are overestimating scholarship numbers. For girls, schools only have 3 or 4 per class. Signing classes exceed that number meaning some players are not receiving scholarship money. If you are looking at club soccer as an investment, it is one with high risk.
                                To be sure they split money/scholarships, 50% off is still worth it. They bring in around 6-8 kids depending the roster needs and usually 5 to 6 kids get athletic money. The top kids do get full rides. But that’s the investment isn’t it? And when I mean club soccer I’m talking the top kids playing for elite clubs. You have to be honest and decide how good your kid is. If you make stars ECNL or NEFC or Selects DA team it leads to athletic money. Probably half off. Coaches come to watch those games and showcases. Honestly, you should know what you have by the 7th or 8th grades with girls and then I think you go from there.
                                Not ripping bayside, great club with a PC connection. And those kids go onto play college soccer at Division 2 or 3 schools. If it helps you get into Babson or Colby, it was worth it in my view.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X