What’s wrong with Soccer in Florida

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What leagues already cancelled matches for this weekend?

Comment

“Naturally predisposed “ I don’t buy it , it takes a lot of practice, time and the player desire to get better.it takes more than just a good athlete in soccer many other factors. Our problem is that all the $$ goes into football , baseball, basketball etc that’s why we suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Once again, another failure to understand sports. My point was, that in Florida, the athletes who would be naturally predisposed to be good at soccer are playing other sports limiting the pool of kids playing soccer. Every great athlete in other countries want to play soccer, very few great athletes in the US want to play soccer. Yes, Bolt may not be a very good soccer player, but has also not put much time into getting very good at it.

I am also not saying every great athlete would make a great soccer player, but that being a great athlete gives you a better chance. There are tons of sports where quick decisions can make or break a game...football, hockey, and basketball come to mind as all three of those sports deal with player movement. Vision, natural spatial awareness, as well as athleticism help. The idea is that if you took these athletes who are very gifted and put them on a pitch at a young age with the same desire they show sports like football and basketball that they wouldn't develop into elite soccer players as well is short-sighted and ignorant. Good athletes are good athletes...I would expect that top-level soccer players put in a similar situation with another sport would excel as well.

You are correct that soccer players are born, but it is not so much being good at soccer, but that they are naturally gifted athletes that can easily be molded to a sport.

Nice post! You make some great points.

Comment

What's wrong with soccer in Florida? Just about every club is under some sort of an investigation, that's what's wrong.

Comment

“Naturally predisposed “ I don’t buy it , it takes a lot of practice, time and the player desire to get better.it takes more than just a good athlete in soccer many other factors. Our problem is that all the $$ goes into football , baseball, basketball etc that’s why we suck.
            You don't have to buy it, doesn't mean it is not true.

Yes, most of the money go into football, baseball, and basketball. Those sports are the most watch on TV in the US, have the biggest contracts in the US and the players in those sports are massive names. It is why kids want to go into those sports, the same reason the kids in other countries get into soccer.

Comment

Years ago, I would agree with you. Now, with the injuries attributed to football, and the fear of CTE and long-term damage, parents are keeping kids out of football and pushing them towards soccer. I agree . . . good athletes play football, but I disagree that soccer players are the most mediocre of mediocre athletes. Maybe where YOU live, that is the case. In Florida, the push has always been football, but with the evolution of soccer and the soccer vibe in the US, it will become a sport of choice for young, athletic, talented players. What drives many away is the lack of lucrative jobs in the US. Many of the pro athletes put their kids in soccer and won't allow their kids to play tackle football until 13. One in particular told me he has his son in soccer to learn agility, footwork, and endurance, and he plays flag football to get the fundamentals of the game. He will not even THINK about letting him play tackle until 13. No compromise!!!
              Concussions happen in soccer too.

Comment

You don't have to buy it, doesn't mean it is not true.

Yes, most of the money go into football, baseball, and basketball. Those sports are the most watch on TV in the US, have the biggest contracts in the US and the players in those sports are massive names. It is why kids want to go into those sports, the same reason the kids in other countries get into soccer.
                For the US v Colombia Men's game last night the stadium's fans were in Yellow.

Comment

For the US v Colombia Men's game last night the stadium's fans were in Yellow.
                  Yes, I was there in section 133 and outside of the American Outlaws section behind the goal, every section was dominated by Columbian fans. The US lacks a love for soccer...that love is reserved for other sports.

Comment

BS practice how you play, have you gone tonweston fields to see how slow and the non intensity with the sessions. For the first 10 min to begin a practice you have some South American dropping cones on the field LOL. Outrageous

Comment

What's wrong with soccer in Florida?

Simple

Florida is simply behind and hasn't been able to close the gap as fast as other areas of the country.

How will it get better?
                      Well... The clubs implement the programs and the coaching staff owns the facilitation.

We have yet to see a club get either of these two things right. There's not a perfect club anywhere in the world, but come on, let's face it, until Florida clubs gets the right leadership in place and dumps a lot of these coaches that needed to go a long time ago, it will remain the same.

My estimate is that 10% of the coaches at any given club are qualified and actually do a superior job. We owe it to the kids to get that number to 90% and that means most of the club leadership needs to change because they have failed to find qualified staff for way too long

Comment

What's wrong with soccer in Florida?

Simple

Florida is simply behind and hasn't been able to close the gap as fast as other areas of the country.

How will it get better?
                        Well... The clubs implement the programs and the coaching staff owns the facilitation.

We have yet to see a club get either of these two things right. There's not a perfect club anywhere in the world, but come on, let's face it, until Florida clubs gets the right leadership in place and dumps a lot of these coaches that needed to go a long time ago, it will remain the same.

My estimate is that 10% of the coaches at any given club are qualified and actually do a superior job. We owe it to the kids to get that number to 90% and that means most of the club leadership needs to change because they have failed to find qualified staff for way too long
                        Finally an intelligent post! The coaching is unacceptable, the fees are unacceptable. It’s the biggest scam going. I’ve been all over this country and it is by far the worst I have ever experience, I am shocked such a heavy passion for the game and the culture to go with it. The da system here compares to Rec soccer in the west coast. With these kinds of fees there is no reason to not have liscense coaches.

Comment

Soccer is not a Florida sport. Baseball and football are Florida sports. In fact, the beat baseball and football players in America are Floridians. California has the beat soccer in America. It’s a shame.

Comment

Soccer is not a Florida sport. Baseball and football are Florida sports. In fact, the beat baseball and football players in America are Floridians. California has the beat soccer in America. It’s a shame.
                            So how do you explain the girls programs and how far behind they are? Girls don't play baseball or football. The premise of "football and baseball and other sport take precedence over soccer" does not hold water.

Any sport if managed correctly, having a good successful club system, great staff, great coaches and the will to provide a good product will succeed.

If you used you argument that football and other sports kill soccer then how would you explain lacrosse, rugby, track & field, cross country, etc etc etc. So to take your argument a little further, you're trying to say that none of these other sports (including soccer) will ever have a chance because of football and baseball?

Makes no sense.

If the clubs get their act together, replace coaches, and get better qualified people to support the kids in ANY SPORT, the process works.

The club system in Florida is littered with a lot of staff that need to go. It's time for the parents to push back and demand better. Since you are all paying customers, it's time to consider taking your business elsewhere if the product you're paying for is inadequate for your kid. Look beyond the trophies and "supposed" accolades and review the coach and the club leadership more closely. 90% of the time, the problem and solution becomes very obvious

Comment

So how do you explain the girls programs and how far behind they are? Girls don't play baseball or football. The premise of "football and baseball and other sport take precedence over soccer" does not hold water.

Any sport if managed correctly, having a good successful club system, great staff, great coaches and the will to provide a good product will succeed.

If you used you argument that football and other sports kill soccer then how would you explain lacrosse, rugby, track & field, cross country, etc etc etc. So to take your argument a little further, you're trying to say that none of these other sports (including soccer) will ever have a chance because of football and baseball?

Makes no sense.

If the clubs get their act together, replace coaches, and get better qualified people to support the kids in ANY SPORT, the process works.

The club system in Florida is littered with a lot of staff that need to go. It's time for the parents to push back and demand better. Since you are all paying customers, it's time to consider taking your business elsewhere if the product you're paying for is inadequate for your kid. Look beyond the trophies and "supposed" accolades and review the coach and the club leadership more closely. 90% of the time, the problem and solution becomes very obvious
                              Another good post! I am watching a tournament as you speak these kids can’t make 1!or even two passes this is the top level team from this club, the other teams can’t do it either. *** is going on here man! It’s like watching 4-5 yr olds. All of these kids here have been playing since 3-5 yrs old and to watch this is absurd. They were never taught anything at a really young age. They can’t connect a pass because they have zero technique. Where do you take your business is the question name the coach or cub and iam gone! I just don’t or haven’t seen it here.

Comment

Another good post! I am watching a tournament as you speak these kids can’t make 1!or even two passes this is the top level team from this club, the other teams can’t do it either. *** is going on here man! It’s like watching 4-5 yr olds. All of these kids here have been playing since 3-5 yrs old and to watch this is absurd. They were never taught anything at a really young age. They can’t connect a pass because they have zero technique. Where do you take your business is the question name the coach or cub and iam gone! I just don’t or haven’t seen it here.
                                Sounds like a Fire tournament.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X