Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agreed! No offense to those kids that are "size-challenged" but in every sport, size is preferable and speed is preferable and if you have size and speed every egotistical coach will think they can teach you the sport. Fact.
    Yes because in this country the talent is so widely dispersed among thousands of clubs, and regions. There is zero consolidation of talent, or even coaches capable of truly evaluating talent. SO many kids get overlooked because of a wide array of reasons, coaches are afraid to promote great players for fear of losing them, they're great but can't afford or never tried DA or ECNL, coaches are ignorant because they concentrate on the measurables not the soccer acumen, soccer IQ is not valued enough in America, and we can never get enough of the great players consolidated and playing together and competing against one another the only way some coaches separate them is by athletic skill, and not solely soccer skill. There is no truly concerted effort to find top shelf advanced minded soccer kids at the U13 level, consolidating thousands of them in regionalized training centers, and develop that mind and body. That's what they do overseas but we do not do it here....we don't start figuring it out until they're 15 or 16, and by then US Soccer is concentrating on their MLS, and DA system as the sole concentration to find those players, but those kids at those level are still in the pay-to-play model, and there are selfish concerns that sometimes prevent the best from being seen.

Overseas, the great clubs consolidate the athletes and they're all playing with and against one another. They can differentiate which ones have the gifts, the collective talent, and which do not. The theory that the US can't compete in world soccer with the elite because our best athletes play other sports is poppycock. The problem is our pay-to-play system doesn't encourage our system to consolidate the talent until they're U16 and above, and by then many kids have just come to accept their lot in life. No one is truly out there finding the best soccer players regardless of their socioeconomic setting because everyone is in it for the money, and there is nothing gained for programs, clubs, or coaches of promoting a top shelf player because the only thing that will happen is once that player gets noticed he is gone, no longer paying club dues, or helping club teams and coaches pad their resumes. They get no compensation, or consideration for making that kid great....so many, many times players go unnoticed. Because of this coaches and US Soccer struggle to find the right elite player like they do overseas that has the perfect blend of athleticism with soccer IQ, and skill. They resort to using measurements and athleticism as a way to separate and decide...like you said assuming they can teach the soccer. Soccer intelligence is almost impossible to teach after kids turn 16.....they either have that innate soccer IQ, or they do not, you can make up a little for it with athleticism and size, but it's not going to make the US a truly great soccer program.

Comment

Agreed! No offense to those kids that are "size-challenged" but in every sport, size is preferable and speed is preferable and if you have size and speed every egotistical coach will think they can teach you the sport. Fact.
      for soccer you need to be strong enough in your core and legs to not get knocked off the ball (think sergio aguero, built like a tank, but not tall), very fast (depending on the position, sometimes even faster than very fast) and have a mind that can make lightning quick decisions. this is assuming you have all the technical skills and the right competitive frame of mind. height is only really required for a few positions. unfortunately the larger kids dominate until around u17 and get the most exposure early on. by u19 this is truly a sport where size (i.e., height) is not an issue. athleticism does not correlate with height. most of the shorter kids are pushed to midfield. some thrive in midfield and are naturally suited to quick, short passing game that requires a high soccer IQ. but you also see shorter players as fullbacks, forwards and strikers in other countries, but i dont think much here. recruiting for size is in my opinion just plain laziness. it speaks of "i want to do the minimum to keep my job."

Comment

"i want to do the minimum to keep my job."
        The Silent Motto of Florida Youth Soccer Coaches!

Comment

Yeah......ummmmmmm......

Comment

Did they ever post list of kids picked

Comment

ODP is pay to play.. nothing more.. if you think it's an honor to be "picked" think again.. there is nothing that comes out of being on these ODP teams except money someone's pocket.

Comment

Teams have been made up already. All players are mostly from 1 club ML for 02g team. ED is also a coach at 2000g ML team and coach for 02g odp A team. All his club players were selected for his A team. Not fair for the rest of the players but it is just politics. I want my kid to still attend since it is her last year but to be honest, not sure if it is really worth all the expenses. Nothing has come out of having the odp state team title unless you are a region player you have great opportunities but those teams are made up already so whats the point to continue.
                Partially correct. I found out over the weekend that ML girls and TB girls are on the A team for 02/03 team which are approximately 7 to 8 girls maybe more I do not know. Some which did not show up to the training. The coaches are ED who is ML coach and MR director of TB are the coaches of this team. They will stack the team with their club players. I really wonder if my daughter has a chance to play if those other players have special privileges.

There are players who made it to the team but have only made 1 or 2 practices. It is not fair for the others who attend every training and spend money.

Should my daughter still attend Alabama and next week practice or not waste anymore money. I have mixed feelings from what was being said on the field.

This weekend the coaches from the A team ended the training early after the alarm went off, while the other coach trained with his team after they were allowed back on the field. I don't understand. I came out of the building buying tee shirts and I see the other team practicing while our team was dismissed. It is not right.

Comment

ODP is pay to play.. nothing more.. if you think it's an honor to be "picked" think again.. there is nothing that comes out of being on these ODP teams except money someone's pocket.
                  What do you mean is it not worth the expense. Can you please elaborate.

Comment

Sorry but In Florida it is nothing more than who you know. It’s just something to put on the resume when emailing colleges. The others that are in with the coach have a better chance of making it

Comment

Sorry but In Florida it is nothing more than who you know. It’s just something to put on the resume when emailing colleges. The others that are in with the coach have a better chance of making it
                      ODP is and always has been a popularity show. Better players are often cut to take a kid from a more popular team or who has a connection to the staff.

Comment

My daughters teammate quit odp 2 years ago. It is not worth the money or the training. Waste of time. Ecnl id camp is the best and everything paid for.

Comment

My kid made the A team this year. We don't know anyone. I have never spoke to the coaches before. Maybe you are just mad because your kid isn't as good as you thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregisteredddd View Post
                            My kid made the A team this year. We don't know anyone. I have never spoke to the coaches before. Maybe you are just mad because your kid isn't as good as you thought?
                            good luck. All my kids are all on the A team but I do not see anything special they are learning. what the pther person wrote is correct good for resume but that is all.

Comment

good luck. All my kids are all on the A team but I do not see anything special they are learning. what the pther person wrote is correct good for resume but that is all.

Truth is, that parents should stop bashing ECNL, ODP, DA, or Team Play. We are in America people and their are several things that competitive sports contribute in the youth sports. First of all, your kids are going to practice instead of hitting drugs. That is a plus. Yes, you have to pay in this country since the system is flawed. If you accept that from the get-go then you are good.

The more touches your kid is getting on the ball, is what matters. The more joy he/she is getting and improvement that is revealing to others is what matters. Not all this negative banter. We all know the obvious. It is unfortunate to say the least. Remember how much you smile when you see your kid play, or all the memories you will have made driving miles with your kid or spending time picking out the perfect cleats. Chill out. ODP is also the cheapest of the three so of course it is not going to offer the four days of training for nine months, so stop comparing. Try enjoying whatever your kid is doing.

Comment

Truth is, that parents should stop bashing ECNL, ODP, DA, or Team Play. We are in America people and their are several things that competitive sports contribute in the youth sports. First of all, your kids are going to practice instead of hitting drugs. That is a plus. Yes, you have to pay in this country since the system is flawed. If you accept that from the get-go then you are good.

The more touches your kid is getting on the ball, is what matters. The more joy he/she is getting and improvement that is revealing to others is what matters. Not all this negative banter. We all know the obvious. It is unfortunate to say the least. Remember how much you smile when you see your kid play, or all the memories you will have made driving miles with your kid or spending time picking out the perfect cleats. Chill out. ODP is also the cheapest of the three so of course it is not going to offer the four days of training for nine months, so stop comparing. Try enjoying whatever your kid is doing.
                                Tell that to the kid that goes out on the field, works their butt off, performs better than anyone else but sees the kid from one of the ODP coaches club move ahead and your left explaining that hard work doesn't matter but who you know does! Gimmie a break!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X