Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reign FC moving to Tacoma. What happens to Reign Academy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2459479]
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

No parent who has been around soccer for any length of time expects equal play. However, coaches are human. They can develop biases, favorites etc. A program committed to the development of all players finds ways to ensure that all players get that critical game experience, either through friendlies, guest play with other teams, or a reasonable approach to playing time. Youth coaches also face pressure to win, so why bother developing everyone when you can just rely on your favorites?

Many commenters are leaning toward "work harder, earn your spot" and yes, that is a critical part of sports. But this is youth sports, ostensily about LEARNING and DEVELOPING, but growth is smothered by the "need" to win, even at the youngest ages. I have kids who currently play/have played soccer at the highest level in WA and over the years all have encountered coaches who belittled them & demeaned their abilities. They've swung from being every minute of every game players to benchwarmers and back to every minute, depending on the coach.

Soccer is far from a pure meritocracy. Yes, athletes are responsible for working to earn playing time and that's part of what they're learning in the youth game, but parents tend not to care how a coach treats other players so long as their kid is the favorite/starter. I'd like to see coaches held to a higher standard that prized the development of all players but that rarely happens.
    100% agree with this . I’m a coach , every single kid on my team gets to play an equal amount of time if they have all put the same effort in (for example not missing practise) if I don’t trust your kid, I would never of picked them to be a part of my team .

Comment

Way to go Coach. 100% the right attitude.

I might go a little more 55-45 but still, if your gonna take a few grand from people it better be for a purpose. If you can't give significant minutes to a player, they shouldn't be there. They are a drag on your team and your practice sessions.

Coaches who can't do this are either dishonest or just poor coaches that can't compensate for a weakness until the player or players develop.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2459534]

What idiot would pay for that calculus class if they are not capable of doing algebra ?
        Someone who isn't good at math?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2459534]

What idiot would pay for that calculus class if they are not capable of doing algebra ?

It is actually not uncommon. Why do you think over 80% of freshmen pre engineering majors do not end up graduating in engineering.

The university did not give these people their money back for the first year of engineering classes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2460401]

It is actually not uncommon. Why do you think over 80% of freshmen pre engineering majors do not end up graduating in engineering.

The university did not give these people their money back for the first year of engineering classes.
            Ahh good old UW, weed out U. Same thing for pre-meds. Remember Kane Hall?
            1800 pre-med general chem and by soph year 100 students in organic chem.
            Probably hasn't changed much over the years. Gotta play if u wanna win, bro.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2460447]

Ahh good old UW, weed out U. Same thing for pre-meds. Remember Kane Hall?
              1800 pre-med general chem and by soph year 100 students in organic chem.
              Probably hasn't changed much over the years. Gotta play if u wanna win, bro.
              True, but you need to be realistic with your ability and amount of time willing to commit to get on the field.

Comment

New Reign Academy Club

Looks like Reign Academy is re-branding itself as a female-centered club with DA teams, reserve teams who are allowed play high school ball also with carrot that they may get into DA matches, and young players. Dues for reserve and younger teams likely designed to pay for the whole operation...No list of coaches on the site - a way to downplay all the male coaches they have? Hopefully their experiment works out...

Comment

Looks like Reign Academy is re-branding itself as a female-centered club with DA teams, reserve teams who are allowed play high school ball also with carrot that they may get into DA matches, and young players. Dues for reserve and younger teams likely designed to pay for the whole operation...No list of coaches on the site - a way to downplay all the male coaches they have? Hopefully their experiment works out...
                  Half of this year’s coaching staff (the technical director and two assistants) are women, so I’d guess it’s more that the staff for some of these new teams hasn’t been finalized than that they are trying to downplay anything. Great for the state to have an independent, all girls club as an option and will be interesting to see how it develops.

Comment

Funny thing is since Xmas where have the assistants been. Not training with the girls. No women coaches for three quarters of the year. Move on, all male coaching staff.

Comment

None

Reign Reserves will play in the PSPL.

Comment

Sorry but the pspl is a joke. Especially at the older age groups. Either make the da or play in an inferior league against a bunch of nobody clubs

Comment

Reign fc moving to tacoma

I was on their site last night and surprised they are still not mentioning where they will train. There was a hint earlier that they were moving down south somewhere and possibly partnering with another club. It's sounding more independent now, but still curious if they are training north or south.

Comment

Funny thing is since Xmas where have the assistants been. Not training with the girls. No women coaches for three quarters of the year. Move on, all male coaching staff.
                            My daughter left after last season. Working with Reign players was a huge plus and very inspirational. Her male coach was demeaning to individuals at times and to the whole team anytime they lost. He could also be positive, but you never knew what you were going to get..My kid is enjoying her ECNL coach this year, who pushes the team but no verbal beat downs or tantrums...Negative coaches are a problem in every club and in youth sports across the board and it discourages so much talent.

Comment

None

Totally agree with PSPL comment. So be careful, parents. Remember DA2 Reign announced a couple years ago... well, that proved to not really be a thing beyond marketing -- but at least it was basically Eastside FC and Seattle United. But the Reign lost SU and EFC as financial partners (and default "reserve" teams.) They need to replace that money to fund academy (and the pro team.) They announced they will have about 10 non-DA teams (2001-2010 "Reserve/Pre-DA" teams, they said) and are telling current parents that those teams will subsidize the DA travel costs and will replace the EFC/SU subsidy from previous years. Right? So 10 teams, average of 16 players per team paying fees of what... $2300 each?... (Reign Academy costs $10-12k, but I assume the fees for "Reserves" will be more of a typical club fee?) Well, that's in the $350k range of what they lost by SU and EFC leaving.
                              -
                              Parents - if they are promising you that your daughter can play HS soccer and still play DA, buyer beware. Your daughter's base team will be PSPL and she can only play 12 DA games (with limited substitutions.) Really you are a revenue stream for them. Just go buy a Reign jersey and find a a better option for your daughter. There are a lot of great options these days.

Comment

Totally agree with PSPL comment. So be careful, parents. Remember DA2 Reign announced a couple years ago... well, that proved to not really be a thing beyond marketing -- but at least it was basically Eastside FC and Seattle United. But the Reign lost SU and EFC as financial partners (and default "reserve" teams.) They need to replace that money to fund academy (and the pro team.) They announced they will have about 10 non-DA teams (2001-2010 "Reserve/Pre-DA" teams, they said) and are telling current parents that those teams will subsidize the DA travel costs and will replace the EFC/SU subsidy from previous years. Right? So 10 teams, average of 16 players per team paying fees of what... $2300 each?... (Reign Academy costs $10-12k, but I assume the fees for "Reserves" will be more of a typical club fee?) Well, that's in the $350k range of what they lost by SU and EFC leaving.
                                -
                                Parents - if they are promising you that your daughter can play HS soccer and still play DA, buyer beware. Your daughter's base team will be PSPL and she can only play 12 DA games (with limited substitutions.) Really you are a revenue stream for them. Just go buy a Reign jersey and find a a better option for your daughter. There are a lot of great options these days.
                                Well said.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X