Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Rhode Island

Notices

Rhode Island Discussions about Rhode Island soccer.

Old 01-18-2020
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2637327]Total joke. Keeper from LaSalle makes first team. Had under 30 shots for the whole season and they talk her up for letting in 3 goals. No crap. Can't say she deserved it because they won the title either. Sorry, good athlete,good keeper, but All State, No.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! How about the D3 player as Player of the Year nominee? I get the whole "Inclusive" deal in this day and age, however, a D3 player would not be a POY nominee playing in D1. I know this is an age old debate but they would not be tearing up D1 to get a nod like that. Fact!
How about the coach's selections? Have you ever seen such a mess. At least the Projo tried to make some order of it by position in an actual lineup. Too many spots to lower division players, as well. I am sure they are forced to be inclusive. ha
Supposedly new leadership and changes coming there.
Old 01-21-2020
Unregistered

There's a third team all division????? lol
Old 01-24-2020
Unregistered

Yes... there is a third team all division! lol Participation awards, as well as, second team all division.
My thought (after reading all the comments from end of season to the present) would be for a 1st/2nd team all state for each division.
Obviously those picks would make up the first team all division and second team all division, as well, for each division so you can now do away with all division. No 3rd team anything!
If not, and you start giving more and more awards, they just become a participation awards and/or devalued.
I heard our coach admit, "Why so many individual awards for a team sport? It gets ridiculous and makes more people unhappy than happy" I have to admit that I agree with her.
After watching all season, within our division and maybe a few outside division games, there are some good players here in RI. However, I feel there aren't enough that deserve to be on these different "ALL" whatever teams. And that's not what sports is all about. Awards should not be devalued just to make extra teams and try to make more people happy.
Also, the Projo sort of got it right this year. POY choices by Projo were not on at all.
Coaches All State was kind of strange. There were a lot of good GK's in D1 but the coaches couldn't come up with the top 2? So put them all on 2nd team? A little strange.
Just an opinion and I am sure I will be attacked and proved wrong. ha ha
See everyone next year!
Old 01-24-2020
Unregistered

Well we see by All-state selection who the real best CW player is...heaven help that team next year without her.
Old 01-28-2020
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2640564]Well we see by All-state selection who the real best CW player is...heaven help that team next year without her.[/QUOTE]

Did the player graduate or is the player not playing high school soccer next year? Your post makes no sense
Old 01-29-2020
Unregistered

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2642897]Did the player graduate or is the player not playing high school soccer next year? Your post makes no sense[/QUOTE]

Just a loser trying to beat a dead horse
Old 02-02-2020
Unregistered

Default New realignment

New 12 team D1 - home and home for each group and one game against the other group (6) for a total of 16. Top 8 make playoffs - not sure if top 4 in each group or just top 8.

Anyone know the bottom teams that are out?
Old 02-03-2020
Unregistered

What you are talking about is just the proposal. Yes, if it does get voted through that's what D1 will look like. However, there are other factors as well. One factor I know of is that the lower divisions will have to agree with their placement for this to happen. What if another team wants to be in D1? Or not in D3? And I also heard there may be a D4 for some teams. Which does make sense for them.
Teams that I heard are out of D1 are:
Prout
EG
Burrillville
Scituate
Lincoln HS

I hear Pilgrim is back up to D1 according to proposal.
Old 02-03-2020
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2645676]What you are talking about is just the proposal. Yes, if it does get voted through that's what D1 will look like. However, there are other factors as well. One factor I know of is that the lower divisions will have to agree with their placement for this to happen. What if another team wants to be in D1? Or not in D3? And I also heard there may be a D4 for some teams. Which does make sense for them.
Teams that I heard are out of D1 are:
Prout
EG
Burrillville
Scituate
Lincoln HS

I hear Pilgrim is back up to D1 according to proposal.[/QUOTE]

It rarely gets to proposal without behind the scenes maneuvering - this group isn't subject to the open meeting rules.

Another team wanting in - lol. I could only think Pilgrim wanting to stay out to make up for what they thought was going to be their title last year. Scituate showed a little flash just to stay in the middle, but way too hard for the bottom 3 to remain competitive in D1.

I doubt the bottom 3 required any arm twisting and Prout/EG have to know it would be better to be winning in D2 than the bottom of D1 at some point. I would also think the bottom in D3 would prefer as well a more competitive situation.

Only wish PCOA would keep it at one game against divisional opponents, end the season a week earlier, and let teams schedule 3-4 rivalry/other non-divisional opponents and/or out of state/private school games.
Old 02-04-2020
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2646204]It rarely gets to proposal without behind the scenes maneuvering - this group isn't subject to the open meeting rules.

Another team wanting in - lol. I could only think Pilgrim wanting to stay out to make up for what they thought was going to be their title last year. Scituate showed a little flash just to stay in the middle, but way too hard for the bottom 3 to remain competitive in D1.

I doubt the bottom 3 required any arm twisting and Prout/EG have to know it would be better to be winning in D2 than the bottom of D1 at some point. I would also think the bottom in D3 would prefer as well a more competitive situation.

Only wish PCOA would keep it at one game against divisional opponents, end the season a week earlier, and let teams schedule 3-4 rivalry/other non-divisional opponents and/or out of state/private school games.[/QUOTE]

RIIL does allow for (3 or 4) games, I believe, for non-divisional out of state opponents that do not count against your record. Most of the games form pre-season schedules for several of the D1 and D2 schools. And what you don't play in preseason you can schedule throughout the season if your schedule allows.
I do like the smaller D1 and playing an opponent twice with a crossover match. Also, an 8 team playoff makes sense.
Nice changes by RIIL and RIGSCA.