Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    again, fine if you are not looking for the best soccer players, but the good ones willing to drop everything on a lottery ticket. Do you want the best players or the ones with no other better options or are willing to take a low probability opportunity.

Getting the best players is not likely possible in any scenario. What you all really mean is getting the best players who want to be there and play there.

Two different horses altogether. The first is a fantasy. The second is reality.

Comment

Getting the best players is not likely possible in any scenario. What you all really mean is getting the best players who want to be there and play there.

Two different horses altogether. The first is a fantasy. The second is reality.
      That is making way too many assumptions. Reality is that some GDA coaches and clubs would not help our player. Reality is also that many kids also can only afford a cheaper option, IF you constrain the pool to include only GDA players, we will become less competitive, not more competitive.

Comment

again, fine if you are not looking for the best soccer players, but the good ones willing to drop everything on a lottery ticket. Do you want the best players or the ones with no other better options or are willing to take a low probability opportunity.
        Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
        1. Completely voluntary. Not sure how that relates?

Because the US is not like North Korea. play soccer eat well, do not play go to prison. there system, no matter how successful in north korea, will not work here.

->How/why is North Korea a talking point? Isolated hermit country with no really good sports teams, so why are using them to make some sort of point?

2. Correct, and it's not for all. But, the pathway is in place should you want to choose it.

Missed the point. Are we trying to get the best players in the pool or just the ones willing to give up everything. they may not be the same players

-> No, I get the point. They want dedication. If you want to play for the National team, dedicate yourself to it. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

3. I'm sure they would love to pull from an even larger pool, but if players don't want to take the steps to enter the pool, that's on them. Can't complain about the pool temperature if you never go near it.

Missed the point. Coaches have incentive to keep player pool small after initial selection. I would think good rule would be 25% different players at each camp with no player attending more than 2 camps in a row.

-> Why 25%? Why not 10%? 50%? Why turn it over at all, just for the sake of doing it?

4. Correct. So, they push it to clubs who are placed all around the country and ask players who do have that ambition to join. Kids don't want to join? Totally fine. I know mine wouldn't want to. But, as long as you have different organizations pushing a different agenda, and then questioning why they miss out, seems odd to me.

-> Still think it's you that is missing the point. There is a program in place to reach all corners of the country. They oversee the players, the competition, and provide visibility. From those players, who have said "THIS is what I want to do", and they select the cream of the crop to join the National team. The incentive for the others is they get the benefit of the same training, and the chance to go progress into (hopefully) a college program to continue playing. So, THEY run the team and THEY want to ensure they are getting players who are have similar background, styles, dedication, etc. into the camp. There isn't time to bring players all over for a week and spend half that time breaking "other" habits and into how they want to play. Don't want to dedicate yourself to it? Fine, but don't come crying later when that lack of dedication prevented you from joining.

Comment

That is making way too many assumptions. Reality is that some GDA coaches and clubs would not help our player. Reality is also that many kids also can only afford a cheaper option, IF you constrain the pool to include only GDA players, we will become less competitive, not more competitive.
          What other cheaper option are there where you can still be in competitive environments?

Comment

Because the US is not like North Korea. play soccer eat well, do not play go to prison. there system, no matter how successful in north korea, will not work here.

->How/why is North Korea a talking point? Isolated hermit country with no really good sports teams, so why are using them to make some sort of point?

2. Correct, and it's not for all. But, the pathway is in place should you want to choose it.

Missed the point. Are we trying to get the best players in the pool or just the ones willing to give up everything. they may not be the same players

-> No, I get the point. They want dedication. If you want to play for the National team, dedicate yourself to it. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

3. I'm sure they would love to pull from an even larger pool, but if players don't want to take the steps to enter the pool, that's on them. Can't complain about the pool temperature if you never go near it.

Missed the point. Coaches have incentive to keep player pool small after initial selection. I would think good rule would be 25% different players at each camp with no player attending more than 2 camps in a row.

-> Why 25%? Why not 10%? 50%? Why turn it over at all, just for the sake of doing it?

4. Correct. So, they push it to clubs who are placed all around the country and ask players who do have that ambition to join. Kids don't want to join? Totally fine. I know mine wouldn't want to. But, as long as you have different organizations pushing a different agenda, and then questioning why they miss out, seems odd to me.

-> Still think it's you that is missing the point. There is a program in place to reach all corners of the country. They oversee the players, the competition, and provide visibility. From those players, who have said "THIS is what I want to do", and they select the cream of the crop to join the National team. The incentive for the others is they get the benefit of the same training, and the chance to go progress into (hopefully) a college program to continue playing. So, THEY run the team and THEY want to ensure they are getting players who are have similar background, styles, dedication, etc. into the camp. There isn't time to bring players all over for a week and spend half that time breaking "other" habits and into how they want to play. Don't want to dedicate yourself to it? Fine, but don't come crying later when that lack of dedication prevented you from joining.
            Who is crying? Don't be a scold if others don't share your opinion. Some families choose one school district and some choose another. They both believe they have made the best choice they can for their kid.

Comment

There is a lot of validity to your last point, especially in the context of this being YOUTH soccer. In theory, players who opt out of the youth pool can still get into the NT picture thru College or any other post HS avenue.

Frankly given how poor a job the Clubs are doing with fundamentals, other than a few nice vacations , its not clear that the kids who are repeatedly called into camps and picked for WCs are gaining any significant soccer advantage over those that are not.

Comment

Who is crying? Don't be a scold if others don't share your opinion. Some families choose one school district and some choose another. They both believe they have made the best choice they can for their kid.
                Exactly.

My point is, if you choose one school district over the other, don't complain about the programs the other district has because you made your choice.

And, based on the # of complaints on this thread, I'd say many are crying.

Comment

Exactly.

My point is, if you choose one school district over the other, don't complain about the programs the other district has because you made your choice.

Nobody is crying. You just like saying it because you think everyone is jealous of your little mia or maybe it is just ego. I believe the goal of the system is to get the best players into it. You think sacraficing everything for this opportunity brings out the best players. I do not. Two examples.

I am willing to drive my kid 2 hours each way to a gda practice 4 times a week. Another better player may not be willing to do that.

The national team will only take players willing to cut off their pinkie finger to show they are dedicated. One player does the other does not. Which is the better player?

Just because you are willing to do anything or can afford to do anything does not make you the more talented player. Dedication is a good sign but it does not mean you are the most talented or the player with the most potential

Comment

Exactly.

Huh? No one is complaining about the other program. When one of them starts in with the we're number one garbage, critics push back. Happens to all arrogant scolds across all disciplines.

Comment

Nobody is crying. You just like saying it because you think everyone is jealous of your little mia or maybe it is just ego. I believe the goal of the system is to get the best players into it. You think sacraficing everything for this opportunity brings out the best players. I do not. Two examples.

I am willing to drive my kid 2 hours each way to a gda practice 4 times a week. Another better player may not be willing to do that.

The national team will only take players willing to cut off their pinkie finger to show they are dedicated. One player does the other does not. Which is the better player?

Just because you are willing to do anything or can afford to do anything does not make you the more talented player. Dedication is a good sign but it does not mean you are the most talented or the player with the most potential
                      Im not the guy you are going back and forth with, but I think you are off base in that its youth soccer. its also privately funded by parents. The goal is NOT to get eh best players, it is to get the best ones that we choose to look at. once kids get to College or play after HS, the "pool" in theory is wide open.

The GDA approach is to give yourself the BEST chance, play in our league. Its not exclusive though.

You make your choices based on a variety of factors and then it plays out .

If the USSF had chosen to invest millions in a large scouting network, then maybe you would get what you want, but that is not reality right now.

your comments are not wrong, they are just not reflective of the current reality

Comment

Huh? No one is complaining about the other program. When one of them starts in with the we're number one garbage, critics push back. Happens to all arrogant scolds across all disciplines.
                        One of them? What are you talking about. They both do that. Its called marketing

Comment

I am not even referring to my kid. She's not at that level so this doesn't directly affect me.

However, there are complaints, whines, crying, that we aren't doing enough to find all the great players. My point was that there is a system in place to do just that. The problem is there is a competing system(s) out there saying you don't need to follow that system, follow ours, and it will be fine. I get the money thing, but if someone was truly special and if the clubs in the area, at any level, passed this player along as a recommendation, they would find a way. Clubs have scholarships for just this reason, and I've seen it used.

That isn't the reality. The people who own the system want it done their way. If you want to have the same end result, the goal that system says it will provide, then follow it.

Don't disregard it, then come back later and say you were excluded. You had the opportunity, chose not to, so you need to move along. You can't sit on the side and complain about the results, when you chose to not participate in it.

(reminder, I don't mean "you" as directive to you individually)

Comment

Ridiculous. The "program" hardly reaches all corners of the country. It centers around major urban areas and targets upper middle class and wealthy families. It targets kids that only play soccer when their parents pay for them to do so. It does not include poor families or families outside of bigger urban areas. It now seeks to exclude anyone outside of their domain. The pool was already too small and they just shrank it by 90% more. Why does a kid have to say "this is what I want to do" to be eligible? Why can't scouts find the kids whose actions speak louder than rich kids' words? Why can't we find the big, fast defenders that rarely get beat and are fast enough to recover when it does happen. The mids who are speedy and quick but are ridiculously technical and have vision as if they saw the play on film yesterday? The forwards and wings that can fly like the wind and stay involved in every play and work with the mids to consistently penetrate and provide opportunities for their teams? Why does a kid have to say "this is what I want"? Should we have a checkbox on every rec, travel, and premier soccer application with this question and take them all then just because they "want" it? I want to be able to jump from the foul line and do a 540 reverse, 2-handed slam! Wanting it won't get me into the NBA. I want to hammer 600 foot homeruns and bench press 600 lbs and run a 4.2 forty. Those wishes wont get me into MLB or the NFL. Stop kidding yourself and who cares what parents or kids want. Find the best players and make it worth their while. Sorry, if you find and identify a kid in some LA slum that has crazy feet, speed, vision ...... there is no way to get that kid to play in the US youth system as it is currently laid out. It is even more impossible if that kid is from some 500 person desert town in Southeastern New Mexico. THE CURRENT SYSTEM WORKS FOR MIDDLE-CLASS FOLKS IN POPULATED AREAS THAT PAY LOTS TO PLAY IN DA CLUBS. It pretty much excludes everyone else and that is missing the vast majority of talent in our country.

Comment

Ridiculous. The "program" hardly reaches all corners of the country. It centers around major urban areas and targets upper middle class and wealthy families. It targets kids that only play soccer when their parents pay for them to do so. It does not include poor families or families outside of bigger urban areas. It now seeks to exclude anyone outside of their domain. The pool was already too small and they just shrank it by 90% more. Why does a kid have to say "this is what I want to do" to be eligible? Why can't scouts find the kids whose actions speak louder than rich kids' words? Why can't we find the big, fast defenders that rarely get beat and are fast enough to recover when it does happen. The mids who are speedy and quick but are ridiculously technical and have vision as if they saw the play on film yesterday? The forwards and wings that can fly like the wind and stay involved in every play and work with the mids to consistently penetrate and provide opportunities for their teams? Why does a kid have to say "this is what I want"? Should we have a checkbox on every rec, travel, and premier soccer application with this question and take them all then just because they "want" it? I want to be able to jump from the foul line and do a 540 reverse, 2-handed slam! Wanting it won't get me into the NBA. I want to hammer 600 foot homeruns and bench press 600 lbs and run a 4.2 forty. Those wishes wont get me into MLB or the NFL. Stop kidding yourself and who cares what parents or kids want. Find the best players and make it worth their while. Sorry, if you find and identify a kid in some LA slum that has crazy feet, speed, vision ...... there is no way to get that kid to play in the US youth system as it is currently laid out. It is even more impossible if that kid is from some 500 person desert town in Southeastern New Mexico. THE CURRENT SYSTEM WORKS FOR MIDDLE-CLASS FOLKS IN POPULATED AREAS THAT PAY LOTS TO PLAY IN DA CLUBS. It pretty much excludes everyone else and that is missing the vast majority of talent in our country.
                              Mind slapping a paragraph or 5 in that rant? Most of that I can't even understand WTAF you are trying to say.

And, yes, they do reach the corners of the country as best it can. And, yes, if you wanted to play and can't afford it they do work with you. I know that for a FACT.

They are trying to find the best players, but some are part of program who feels they can make their own rules up and expect the same consideration.

Grow up.

Comment

Listen to yourself. The system is not designed to do what you think it is. Its designed to make money for a select few. If the womens pro game rewarded "finding" and developing talent then they would be doing exactly what you describe.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X