Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop the mad travel —ECNL & DA

I am winding down my oldest kid from an ECNL team. Quality of the play has been good. That being said there is plenty of good teams in a two hour radius that the league needs to reevaluate the travel requirements. They think several weekends to Atlanta, Carolina’s is just what you do. The expense is unreasonable to families and the clubs and leagues will not change unless parents start to speak up. I’m not a nay sayer... my older kid is committed to a mid major D1 College with a very nice academic/ soccer package. I can afford to do this, but I am not one to spend money foolishly just because I have it. It just doesn’t make sense and I know we have other families that sacrifice family vacations, buying a new car, etc to keep there kids on these type of teams.

We need to press the club directors who also make deals with other clubs so you book a tournament out of state as a favor...this is a fact and is at the expense of its families. Again, it is uncessary for these kids to travel to Atlanta in August for a tournment. College coaches will not be there because they are already in season. Think about it. What is the benefit? Look at other small countries with great soccer. They could not travel this much/far even if they wanted to yet we have to fly to South Carolina?

Just want to share this opinion for those of you with younger kids coming up the ranks of an ECNL or DA program (especially if it’s Da where you pay). Get on your club boards and speak up!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am winding down my oldest kid from an ECNL team. Quality of the play has been good. That being said there is plenty of good teams in a two hour radius that the league needs to reevaluate the travel requirements. They think several weekends to Atlanta, Carolina’s is just what you do. The expense is unreasonable to families and the clubs and leagues will not change unless parents start to speak up. I’m not a nay sayer... my older kid is committed to a mid major D1 College with a very nice academic/ soccer package. I can afford to do this, but I am not one to spend money foolishly just because I have it. It just doesn’t make sense and I know we have other families that sacrifice family vacations, buying a new car, etc to keep there kids on these type of teams.

We need to press the club directors who also make deals with other clubs so you book a tournament out of state as a favor...this is a fact and is at the expense of its families. Again, it is uncessary for these kids to travel to Atlanta in August for a tournment. College coaches will not be there because they are already in season. Think about it. What is the benefit? Look at other small countries with great soccer. They could not travel this much/far even if they wanted to yet we have to fly to South Carolina?

Just want to share this opinion for those of you with younger kids coming up the ranks of an ECNL or DA program (especially if it’s Da where you pay). Get on your club boards and speak up!
    Not to be flippant about some families not being able to afford the trips but we really enjoy these trips. Checking out new cities, visiting nearby college campuses, sitting around the hotel pool drinking with other parents, etc. I know they are not for everybody so we are fortunate that our club schedules a few "players only rooms" (for ages above U14) so that only the player has to travel and the family can save the money.

Comment

Not to be flippant about some families not being able to afford the trips but we really enjoy these trips. Checking out new cities, visiting nearby college campuses, sitting around the hotel pool drinking with other parents, etc. I know they are not for everybody so we are fortunate that our club schedules a few "players only rooms" (for ages above U14) so that only the player has to travel and the family can save the money.

I agree to a point with you...a couple in the fall and spring, but agree with the original poster also. League games require this plus tournaments. I have two on these type teams so it gets exhausting both financially and just to have a weekend where we are not split and all over the southeast.

Comment

I agree to a point with you...a couple in the fall and spring, but agree with the original poster also. League games require this plus tournaments. I have two on these type teams so it gets exhausting both financially and just to have a weekend where we are not split and all over the southeast.
        It can be very demanding on families especially if they have more than one child. I couldn't tell you how many holiday weekends our family has been divided.

I think ECNL should do more regional event's that are just a car ride, not plane ride, away. Makes it easier and more affordable for families and coaches as well. Most players will go to schools a car ride away. Sending coaches and players across the country makes no sense. I say ECNL because I think they are better poised to pull it off, and it could give them an advantage. Just have one national event at the end of the year for the top regional teams and call it a day.

Comment

Clubs should never make their ECNL teams travel to far away tournaments outside of the ECNL game and showcase schedule. They already do enough travel and get plenty of exposure. Save the Atlanta, Jefferson Cup, Disney for the NPL and FSPL type teams.

Comment

Da doesn’t do tournaments - FYI

Comment

Da doesn’t do tournaments - FYI
              ooooh "showcases" pardon us.

Do you realize how lucky FL teams are that they don't have to fly to one of the DA events? Same for CA teams? The vast majority of teams have to fly either here, and then out west as well.

Comment

ooooh "showcases" pardon us.

Do you realize how lucky FL teams are that they don't have to fly to one of the DA events? Same for CA teams? The vast majority of teams have to fly either here, and then out west as well.
                Those DA west showcases are an expensive trip. There seems to be more National showcases than ever. NPL Nationals in Colorado for the girls going on. Then when there is a National ECNL playoff the final four have to fly the other coast for a Final four National playoffs. Soccer is f'ed up.

Comment

Those DA west showcases are an expensive trip. There seems to be more National showcases than ever. NPL Nationals in Colorado for the girls going on. Then when there is a National ECNL playoff the final four have to fly the other coast for a Final four National playoffs. Soccer is f'ed up.
                  Doesn't help that they stretch them out over multiple days either. I know weekend-only events are tough on the body but they are more efficient. College coaches are gone by the third day any way. Imagine having a series of regional round-robins instead national events? play in front of college coaches, less travel and cost for all. Nah, makes too much sense for the consumer.

Comment

It can be very demanding on families especially if they have more than one child. I couldn't tell you how many holiday weekends our family has been divided.

I think ECNL should do more regional event's that are just a car ride, not plane ride, away. Makes it easier and more affordable for families and coaches as well. Most players will go to schools a car ride away. Sending coaches and players across the country makes no sense. I say ECNL because I think they are better poised to pull it off, and it could give them an advantage. Just have one national event at the end of the year for the top regional teams and call it a day.
                    And let’s forget how many times we are pulling our kids out of school on Fridays, so we can catch a flight. Ridiculous.

Comment

What sucks even worse is traveling to tournaments and required to use the host travel company only to find out that the hotel costs thru them are higher then if booked thru hotel group rate or even online booking. Clubs need to be aware of this sham.

Comment

OK, hate to state the obvious but if you are so bothered by all of the above complaints...don’t...put...your...kid...on...that. ..team... wow, problem solved... whew, now you can find something else to complain about

Comment

OK, hate to state the obvious but if you are so bothered by all of the above complaints...don’t...put...your...kid...on...that. ..team... wow, problem solved... whew, now you can find something else to complain about

Signed

Joe Blow
                          Owner of Club XYZ
                          That's more like it

Comment

What sucks even worse is traveling to tournaments and required to use the host travel company only to find out that the hotel costs thru them are higher then if booked thru hotel group rate or even online booking. Clubs need to be aware of this sham.
                            Clubs are very aware of it because they agree to it when they register for tournaments. If they don't agree they can't participate. It's the tournament organizations that are ripping us all off by forcing us to stay there. They get a piece of the hotel bookings which help make tourneys more profitable. Seems more like states attorneys need to be made aware of it.

Comment

Clubs are very aware of it because they agree to it when they register for tournaments. If they don't agree they can't participate. It's the tournament organizations that are ripping us all off by forcing us to stay there. They get a piece of the hotel bookings which help make tourneys more profitable. Seems more like states attorneys need to be made aware of it.
                              Tournament organizations don’t get any money from the hotels. They just get a guaranteed amount of rooms at a set price, with the allowance of late checkouts and late cancellations if the event doesn’t happen (usually because of weather) to accommodate out of town teams. The hotels are guaranteed a certain amount of booked nights to help their bottom line. They want you to use specific travel agencies so the local chamber of commerce can gauge economic impacts of said events. The agencies receive a very small amount of money from the hotels to compensate them for their administrative services.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X