Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They can send camp info and ask for updates, but can't really do much more than that (in writing ;) )
    Wink is right. So much of this isn't enforceable.

Comment

My son (rising sophomore) went to an I'd camp and emailed a few coaches ahead of time. Two wrote back, one asking him to keep them updated on grades and video. I thought they couldn't reply to kids before junior year? It's fine with me that they did, but I'm trying to understand the rules as we also are new to this.
      We’ve had the same experience but also had one email back that “with the new rules we can’t contact you until 9/1 of junior year...but you can contact us...our camp schedule, etc can be found here...”. The rules are brand new so every college is also trying to sort through it.

Comment

Wink is right. So much of this isn't enforceable.
        Considering verbal commits for 8th graders are starting to be announced on top drawer , it looks like not much have changed.

Comment

Can't help but wonder what, if any impact the new rules will have. If no real "recruiting" discussions can take place until 9/1 of 11th grade, is there still going to be the same rush to recruit early? If official visits, where coaches, players and parents can spend some time together, don't happen until that date, will coaches be ready to give out offers? will players be ready to accept? It's one thing to visit the campus and do the school tour, even attend ID events, but are a few phone conversations enough when technically "offers" can't go out?
          IMHO 9/1 of Junior Year just became Offer Day.
          For the most desirable players Recruiting won’t start on that date it will end

Comment

Considering verbal commits for 8th graders are starting to be announced on top drawer , it looks like not much have changed.
            It will take time for the kinks to work through the system and many of those commits already happened before rules went into effect. But with the many loopholes early recruiting will still take place. They'll need to do much more to have a real impact

Comment

It does, but you can still do unofficial visits at any time. Also players can still talk to coaches, via phone or at ID events, just not about "recruiting" (how enforceable is that?!). Player has to initiate the phone call
              Actually the new rules specifically do not allow unofficial visits until Junior year. Unofficial Visit is s specific term when the coaching staff invites the player to meet with them and other athletic and academic staff typically a 4-8 hour itinerary of tours of athletic facilities and meetings. The difference with an official visit is that the school cannot pay for anything (travel, lodging, meals, etc.)during an unofficial visit.

Comment

Actually the new rules specifically do not allow unofficial visits until Junior year. Unofficial Visit is s specific term when the coaching staff invites the player to meet with them and other athletic and academic staff typically a 4-8 hour itinerary of tours of athletic facilities and meetings. The difference with an official visit is that the school cannot pay for anything (travel, lodging, meals, etc.)during an unofficial visit.
                Players can still visit the school and go on school led tours. If they happen to bump into a coach....

Really the official visit thing has been a non factor in women's soccer. Until the new changes it wasn't allowed until senior year, yet most players were recruited well before that. So families just paid for the trip and all those meetings still happened. Now the official visit can happen 9/1 of junior year which makes much more sense and may also help slow down early recruiting

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Players can still visit the school and go on school led tours. If they happen to bump into a coach....

Really the official visit thing has been a non factor in women's soccer. Until the new changes it wasn't allowed until senior year, yet most players were recruited well before that. So families just paid for the trip and all those meetings still happened. Now the official visit can happen 9/1 of junior year which makes much more sense and may also help slow down early recruiting
                  Nothing is slowing. Nothing.

Comment

9/1 is Offer Day. That's exactly how this will play out.

Comment

9/1 is Offer Day. That's exactly how this will play out.
                      But many of the top kids will know what specific offer they will get and will accept two or more years before. In fact the 8th grade "commitments" will increase since the NCAA rules only apply once a kid hits high school. NCAA made it worse with these changes. Kids will make decisions based on lesser amounts of information.

Comment

But many of the top kids will know what specific offer they will get and will accept two or more years before. In fact the 8th grade "commitments" will increase since the NCAA rules only apply once a kid hits high school. NCAA made it worse with these changes. Kids will make decisions based on lesser amounts of information.
                        Yup. The not-yet-an-offer will be delivered through a likey letter email to club coach. "Given what we have seen of Mia, we are likely to offer her x" The facts are that.8th grade commitments have increased, and people.will throw around scary numbers like 300% when referring to a growth from 2 to 6. Not a real issue for most

Comment

Yup. The not-yet-an-offer will be delivered through a likey letter email to club coach. "Given what we have seen of Mia, we are likely to offer her x" The facts are that.8th grade commitments have increased, and people.will throw around scary numbers like 300% when referring to a growth from 2 to 6. Not a real issue for most
                          I agree it's unlikely to rapidly increase the 8th grade offer scenario. Coaches don't want to be doing it as it is now but feel pressed for the true super studs. Most players don't fit that description - good, but not middle-school commitment worthy. Parents are going to have to get used to the new timetable, coaches as well. But in the long run it's best for players and programs to push this all back to a more reasonable timetable - the NCAA still needs to go further though to really have an impact. The club and phone workarounds need to go, maybe no ID camps on campus until sophomore year?

Comment

I agree it's unlikely to rapidly increase the 8th grade offer scenario. Coaches don't want to be doing it as it is now but feel pressed for the true super studs. Most players don't fit that description - good, but not middle-school commitment worthy. Parents are going to have to get used to the new timetable, coaches as well. But in the long run it's best for players and programs to push this all back to a more reasonable timetable - the NCAA still needs to go further though to really have an impact. The club and phone workarounds need to go, maybe no ID camps on campus until sophomore year?
                            May I suggest an edit: "No ID camps until spring of Freshman year". I'd prefer AFTER freshman year, but that gets into some privilege issues where private school finishes month before public or blocks some kids from attending a June camp that would otherwise fall nicely after spring season but before end of school

Comment

May I suggest an edit: "No ID camps until spring of Freshman year". I'd prefer AFTER freshman year, but that gets into some privilege issues where private school finishes month before public or blocks some kids from attending a June camp that would otherwise fall nicely after spring season but before end of school
                              Id camps usually don't start until mid june at the earliest. that covers most public school kids getting out.

Comment

I have a physical late bloomer who is hurt by the early commitment race. However, I don't think the timetable would have been different if the new rules were in effect three years ago. I just think that kids would be accepting offers brokered through club coaches without ever having a direct conversation with the college coach. Scary, but I believe likely to be true.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X