Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Mpappe is "5'10. It is more about speed then giants.
    the ignorance here is huge. the modern game is about speed much more than size. you are correct. size only counts on set pieces. yes, the game has changed from a pep guardiola influenced style to what is now showing results. but to say that it goes from small skilled players to big, strong players is just wrong and ignorant. england has skilled players. england is not a team of gladiators. uruguay has skilled players. what did cavani's finish on his second goal have to do with his size? is lozano big? what did his finish against germany have to do with size? is mbappe a big player? is modric big? willian and neymar are 5'9" in cleats. so no, to say that it's a game of gladiators is totally completely wrong.

what has changed is that the game is less tiki taka and more speed and skill and compact, tough defense. spain does not have a small team. they have an approach that used to work but like everything in life others have evolved and adopted countermeasures. now unless you have a xavi tiki taka is difficult.

why do we not see this and only see "size"? this is just amazing how obssessed this country is with bigger and stronger. its speed and skill that wins.

Comment

Size does not matter

I was the original poster. Of course skill and speed is away more important than size in this game. Nobody is questioning that. You can't use skilled Brazilian and argentinians soccer players size to make your point. The level of talent that comes up from Brazil and second in Argentina is more than any other nation and they do not have to worry about size. I will take little Coutinho any day before any giant from England, Belgium or Serbia. I was just bringing the point that we will be able to watch quality well played soccer in one bracket tomorrow versus gladiators in the other bracket on saturday.

The reason Colombia lost to England was not because English players were bigger! Colombia decided to play with two center mid defenders and Cuadrado out in the wing alone, they abandoned their game, they showed they were afraid of England, they fell for the dirty game at times and forgot to impose their creative game, ok James was not there either...

The reason Spain failed to score was not because they play with the ball on the ground and not in the air or because they were small like a previous guy said.

Comment

I was the original poster. Of course skill and speed is away more important than size in this game. Nobody is questioning that. You can't use skilled Brazilian and argentinians soccer players size to make your point. The level of talent that comes up from Brazil and second in Argentina is more than any other nation and they do not have to worry about size. I will take little Coutinho any day before any giant from England, Belgium or Serbia. I was just bringing the point that we will be able to watch quality well played soccer in one bracket tomorrow versus gladiators in the other bracket on saturday.

The reason Colombia lost to England was not because English players were bigger! Colombia decided to play with two center mid defenders and Cuadrado out in the wing alone, they abandoned their game, they showed they were afraid of England, they fell for the dirty game at times and forgot to impose their creative game, ok James was not there either...

The reason Spain failed to score was not because they play with the ball on the ground and not in the air or because they were small like a previous guy said.
        Also think the VAR with all the controversy has made the cup more interesting. More penalties means more teams are forced to attack to tie the match. Ultimately 1-1 is a more entertaining game than 0-0.

Comment

Youre a fcuking idiot. Find something else that bothers you and stop wasting other peoples time.
          You must be from England

Comment

VAR$¢CITYzenPOUCHwalshRYdenMARKS marxZOE$lax.

LAB RAT$lip in CORN MAIZE flipJACKet$HOP FURaces.

Comment

I will give you a billion dollars if Sweden and England are in the finals. Learn to read a bracket. You might as type trump will nominate tinker bell for supreme court justice
              TinkerBell would be a vast improvement on any of the right wing nut jobs that lying moron is going to nominate.

Comment

Did you notice that the brackets are now divided on one side players with better technical skills and not a lot of size (Brazil, France, Belgium and Uruguay) and the other side represents just strength, size, physical game (Russia, Sweden, England) Croatia may be the exception. I just hope England and Sweden are not in the final. I can't stand watching gladiators playing soccer like England. Long balls and crosses into the box and let's hope something good happens.
                Now if only the data supported your BS -- note France and Belgium are actually "bigger" than England

here are the average heights of the teams

Serbia - 186.3 cm = 6' 1"

Germany - 186.2 cm

Belgium - 185.8 cm

Sweden - 185.8 cm

Denmark - 185.6 cm

Croatia - 185.5 cm

Iceland - 185.3 cm

Senegal - 184.1 cm

Russia - 184.1 cm

Switzerland - 184.03 cm

Tunisia - 184.03 cm

Nigeria - 183.4 cm

France - 183.3 cm

Iran - 183.2 cm

Poland - 183.2

Morocco - 183.1 cm

England - 183.08 cm

South Korea - 182.4 cm

Panama - 182.2 cm

Australia - 181.7 cm

Egypt - 181.5 cm

Uruguay - 180.8 cm

Colombia - 180.6 cm

Costa Rica - 180.3 cm

Brazil - 180.2 cm

Spain - 180.04 cm

Mexico - 179.9 cm

Portugal - 179.2 cm

Argentina - 178.7

Japan - 178.6 cm

Saudi Arabia - 177.8 cm

Peru - 177.4 cm = 5' 10"

Comment

DIETraps$HOWlung COLEmaid$TRUNK trade COlaidens.

janeTRICK$lugROWSPIN SPOT dick$PARE pair pears

LEMONY$trick struck$train tradeshow trackingOLESmug

Comment

Soccer comes down to 4 main attributes. Each Soccer Federation prioritizes different depending on their philosophy of the game.

1. Speed
                    2. Skills (technical)
                    3. Size
                    4. Soccer Smart (intelligence, read the game, tactical awareness, decisions)

South America prioritizes skill and intelligence above all others. I tend to agree as without those two the other two don't matter. What good does size does, if he can trap a ball. What speed does if you can't shoot straight or see who is open.

Europeans like size and speed, they don't necessarily cares for someone to hug the ball and beat defenders. If they can outhustle and beat you physically then they believe they can beat you.

Comment

All of this doesn't matter. France will beat Belgium today and Croatia will beat England tomorrow. Croatia will win the World Cup.

Comment

Soccer comes down to 4 main attributes. Each Soccer Federation prioritizes different depending on their philosophy of the game.

1. Speed
                        2. Skills (technical)
                        3. Size
                        4. Soccer Smart (intelligence, read the game, tactical awareness, decisions)

South America prioritizes skill and intelligence above all others. I tend to agree as without those two the other two don't matter. What good does size does, if he can trap a ball. What speed does if you can't shoot straight or see who is open.

Europeans like size and speed, they don't necessarily cares for someone to hug the ball and beat defenders. If they can outhustle and beat you physically then they believe they can beat you.
                        This argument would be valid if players had only one or two attributes and nothing of the other. The fact, however, is that each player has all the attributes listed to different degrees. It's not like the world is filled with skilled players who are stupid tactically or skilled players who are slower than molasses. If you don't have a certain level of something you simply won't succeed. Size is probably the biggest variable but lets not act like it is negligible. I mean the Brazilian national team is an average of 3 inches taller than the general population. Theoretically, if height were no factor in success it should be close to the national average.

And an incredibly fast player with moderate skill could still be much more valuable on the pitch than an incredibly skilled player who is slow. It is always a combination of attributes that determines success but speed and size is not something that can be taught or improved while skill and tactical understanding can improve over time and training. Athletic skill is always a key to success. If Messi didn't possess the coordination and quickness that he does it wouldn't matter how much he practices and how high his soccer IQ was . . . he wouldn't be effective on the field.

I think small and slow guys are always the ones to carry the "it's not about size" banner because it makes them feel better about themselves. It's probably the same thing they tell their girlfriends and wives.

Comment

I think it's also difficult to make generalities when population sizes vary by nations and regions. In general most of Europe (5 10" EU average) is taller than most of Central and South America (5' 8" on average). When you have more tall player to chose from your team average will likely be (somewhat) taller.

Argentina 5' 8.5
                          Brazil 5' 8
                          Chile 5' 7.5
                          Mexico 5' 7.5
                          Colombia 5' 7

Japan 5' 7.5
                          South Korea 5' 8

Russia 5' 10
                          Belgium 5' 10.5
                          Portugal 5' 8.5
                          Spain 5' 8.5
                          Sweden 5" 11
                          United Kingdom 5' 9.5
                          Croatia 5' 11
                          Denmark 5' 11
                          France 5' 9
                          Germany 5' 10

Comment

I think it's also difficult to make generalities when population sizes vary by nations and regions. In general most of Europe (5 10" EU average) is taller than most of Central and South America (5' 8" on average). When you have more tall player to chose from your team average will likely be (somewhat) taller.

Argentina 5' 8.5
                            Brazil 5' 8
                            Chile 5' 7.5
                            Mexico 5' 7.5
                            Colombia 5' 7

Japan 5' 7.5
                            South Korea 5' 8

Russia 5' 10
                            Belgium 5' 10.5
                            Portugal 5' 8.5
                            Spain 5' 8.5
                            Sweden 5" 11
                            United Kingdom 5' 9.5
                            Croatia 5' 11
                            Denmark 5' 11
                            France 5' 9
                            Germany 5' 10
                            But the taller players are being chosen because it gives them some sort of advantage. If height is an advantage then the top players tend to be taller. Sports where height is a great advantage are usually comprised of the tallest players (basketball, volleyball). However the opposite is also true. In sports where being a smaller size is an advantage there are smaller athletes. There is a reason that female gymnasts are usually very short and smaller. It gives them an advantage in what they need to do in their sport. Even having large breasts affects balance so female gymnasts usually have small chests (at least until after they give up their sport for the ones who just delay puberty through intense activity).

In horse racing and gymnastics there is a significant advantage in being smaller.

In soccer there is at least a moderate advantage in being taller (headers, playing high balls).

In basketball and volleyball there is an extreme advantage in being bigger and taller.

Comment

TinkerBell would be a vast improvement on any of the right wing nut jobs that lying moron is going to nominate.
                              Lairs? We are talking about Liars now? Here we go "Moron"...
                              Obama-To Syria...If you cross the line in the sand we will come after you. They crossed the line, Obama lied and did nothing and ISIS was born and killed hundreds of thousands of people.
                              Hillary-I did not use my government computer or phone for personal emails and vice versa! Then she had over 10,000 emails deleted by her crony assistant.
                              I did not pay for my daughter's education from the Clinton Foundation money!
                              Bill Clinton-I did not get a hummer from my 24 year old intern in the oval office! Yeah, #MeToo Bill!

Comment

Lairs? We are talking about Liars now? Here we go "Moron"...
                                Obama-To Syria...If you cross the line in the sand we will come after you. They crossed the line, Obama lied and did nothing and ISIS was born and killed hundreds of thousands of people.
                                Hillary-I did not use my government computer or phone for personal emails and vice versa! Then she had over 10,000 emails deleted by her crony assistant.
                                I did not pay for my daughter's education from the Clinton Foundation money!
                                Bill Clinton-I did not get a hummer from my 24 year old intern in the oval office! Yeah, #MeToo Bill!
                                Hmmmm, let me alienate all of our long term international allies like England, France, Germany, etc, and suck up to countries like Russia. Yeah, that seems like a good idea. That should finalize my "Make the US Suck Again" agenda!

P.S. I'm really not a madman. I do have a big ego but mostly I do what I do because I'm a Russian puppet and they have blackmail information on me.

Sincerely,

Donald "Squirrel Toupee" Trump

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X