X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Right if the team is doing fine.
    Several years of only doing "ok" to less than ok is a sign of trouble, although frankly some schools and AD's just don't care as long as it's running smoothly. Problem is there are many reasons why a coach might leave, sometimes very unpredictably. Assuming you're going to the school for all the right reasons and the soccer is a good fit and you play a lot, you've got a better chance of staying if a new one comes in. Non starters are the ones who should be nervous. On a roster of 25 that will be many of them

Comment

Several years of only doing "ok" to less than ok is a sign of trouble, although frankly some schools and AD's just don't care as long as it's running smoothly. Problem is there are many reasons why a coach might leave, sometimes very unpredictably. Assuming you're going to the school for all the right reasons and the soccer is a good fit and you play a lot, you've got a better chance of staying if a new one comes in. Non starters are the ones who should be nervous. On a roster of 25 that will be many of them
      Stop with the “going to school for the right reason” crap. D1 you’re there to play soccer. It’s your job. They don’t give away scholarship money on a D1 college soccer team for benevolence.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, glad someone else gets it. And no, btdt I'm not the person who posted the above.

I stumbled on TS when my kid started club soccer and I was trying to figure things out. His point of view is so destructive, and because I absorbed some of his pov I almost derailed my kid's "career". It turns out, now in high school, my kid is a very strong player, much stronger than I ever realized because I thought all parents were deluded, and most club players were crap. It is why I'm one of those who often calls him out.
        So once again you are posting with nothing to discredit the content of his posts - you actually agree with him - you just don't like his motivation. His advice is pretty simple and pretty good: Target right.

He never says set your sights low, he just says be sure (s)he is really that good.
        He never disparages D3 (ever!).
        He does disparage parents who proclaim D3 superiority when D1 pursuit fails.
        He does caution all on the commitments of D1

The only mean-spirited person on this site is the snob who uses "butt head state" amd the person who makes fun of MCLA as a young girls choice. That person isn reprehensiblee.

Comment

So once again you are posting with nothing to discredit the content of his posts - you actually agree with him - you just don't like his motivation. His advice is pretty simple and pretty good: Target right.

He never says set your sights low, he just says be sure (s)he is really that good.

The only mean-spirited person on this site is the snob who uses "butt head state" amd the person who makes fun of MCLA as a young girls choice. That person isn reprehensiblee.

Well....with your last line....now there are two mean-spirited people.
          Although your some of what you say is correct, I think (and I might be wrong) when people talk about D3, none claim that the overall soccer is better. Although I safely claim that the best D3 teams are better than the lower D1 teams. There is a bell-shaped overlap.

The only talk about D3 superiority, I believe, is when one talks about the inclusion of academics. Even that, I don't believe that there is a superior academics in one division over the other. However, when kids choose D1 soccer they are likely to select the D1 (or D2) program that is accepting them i.e. academics MAY take a backseat. However, if the kid is choosing D3 it SEEMS as though the academics are the higher priority. There is no doubt in my mind that the combination of Williams Academics (or almost any NESCAC school) and soccer is superior to Providence Soccer and Academics.

As for commitments, I think that all agree on caution. Parents are very delusional that the financial reward in D1 and D2 high. My kid can get as much or more from local community, and school rewards than 90% can get from athletic scholarships. If they are getting the former then they have earned them and will likely continue to earn them. The sports scholarships are dependent on you playing, and most (not all) are reassessed yearly i.e. dependent on the coach.

As for BTDT....I have no idea how you can tell which posts are his....without some kind of signature..

Comment

Stop with the “going to school for the right reason” crap. D1 you’re there to play soccer. It’s your job. They don’t give away scholarship money on a D1 college soccer team for benevolence.
            You must be a college coach. So when you get fired from your "job" or quit then what? You find out you don't like the school and are scrambling to find something else? Great plan. Depending on the package sometimes it's slave wages. Give up your life for $10K off the sticker price? Your life job is to get a good education and find your career path. No one is going pro - and if that's your goal you shouldn't be in college anyway.

Comment

Never disparages D3? Never? You mean like for except every single day. Never seen him trash Brandeis, Tufts, and the all the very good D3s he could have sent his kid to but forced her to Siberia? Never seen him repeat over and over that you only need to play high school soccer and show up at the start of the D3 season in order to play D3?

BTW, families that choose D3 in the end, even if it is because they are true D1 studs, ARE targeting right, for them.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in again in the most deceitful ways possible, BTNT.

Comment

Never disparages D3? Never? You mean like for except every single day. Never seen him trash Brandeis, Tufts, and the all the very good D3s he could have sent his kid to but forced her to Siberia? Never seen him repeat over and over that you only need to play high school soccer and show up at the start of the D3 season in order to play D3?

BTW, families that choose D3 in the end, even if it is because they are true D1 studs, ARE targeting right, for them.
                  Funny, I guess the same could be said about you. You are upset because your kid ended up at what , Brandeis or Emory, because they couldn’t get into Harvard or Yale. For many that is an equivalent Siberia.

Comment

Once again a valuable discussion about the nuances of D1 recruiting has gotten side tracked by Ahab and his white whale obsession.

Comment

You must be a college coach. So when you get fired from your "job" or quit then what? You find out you don't like the school and are scrambling to find something else? Great plan. Depending on the package sometimes it's slave wages. Give up your life for $10K off the sticker price? Your life job is to get a good education and find your career path. No one is going pro - and if that's your goal you shouldn't be in college anyway.
                      We get that you do not value D1 soccer but who are you to tell anyone what their goal should be?

Comment

Funny, I guess the same could be said about you. You are upset because your kid ended up at what , Brandeis or Emory, because they couldn’t get into Harvard or Yale. For many that is an equivalent Siberia.
                        Right. And you don't disparage D3s....ever. And fyi, even Harvard and Yale grads don't think for a second that Brandeis or Emory is Siberia.

And since you wrote the next post too....."nuances" of D1....now that is hilarious. Yeah, your "insights" are so fine-grained and illuminating.

Comment

Listen. Enough already. My kid is a D1 stud and her soccer doings are very, very serious stuff. There's an excellent chance I'll get to see her play soon on the Lifetime Channel.

Comment

Well if the AD doesn’t care, are they really lining up the coach to be fired? That’s actually another type of problem to know to avoid. Programs where a lackluster coach has been allowed to hang around way too long. It signifies apathy and that’s usually the sort of place where resources are applied unequally and people get unfairly taken advantage of with no one caring. I think the important point in this thread is you have to look at things like the coaching staff as part of the decision making process to prevent bad stuff like getting the deal pulled. The idea that you would just focus on the academic fit when evaluating a scholarship offer is simply crazy. Would you take a job without meeting your boss because you like the cafeteria? It doesn’t matter whether it be for academics or athletics, when you are contemplating scholarship offers you are basically evaluating a job offer and you need to keep your decision criteria consistent with the factors involved in that job. When you start looking at apples it’s not terribly relevant to start thinking about a whole bunch things that apply to oranges.

Comment

Right. And you don't disparage D3s....ever. And fyi, even Harvard and Yale grads don't think for a second that Brandeis or Emory is Siberia.

And since you wrote the next post too....."nuances" of D1....now that is hilarious. Yeah, your "insights" are so fine-grained and illuminating.
                              The funny part about your rants is it is well known the Ivy League crowd looks down on the NESCAC’s as beneath them and that seems to be ok in your book because those aIvies are the unquestioned apex of the academic food chain but if one says that D3 schools are beneath D1 schools it’s some heinous crime. The even funnier part is you’ll dump all over the D3 state colleges in Mass by calling them “butt hole state” or “Siberia” and then expect a whole lot of sympathy for other D3 schools like Brandeis or Babson apparently because they cost more and have a more selective admissions criteria. They still aren’t anywhere near the Ivies though and in many respects just as much a backwater as one of the state colleges are. You are a fraud. You seem to see yourself as the protector of D3 schools but then arrogantly dismiss whole segments of that very same group as little more than pond scum. The fact of the matter is you have a form of penis envy and it has driven you insane.

Comment

Listen. Enough already. My kid is a D1 stud and her soccer doings are very, very serious stuff. There's an excellent chance I'll get to see her play soon on the Lifetime Channel.
                                lol. Right after we see your kid star in an episode of hoarders or my 600 pound life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X