Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club options

Any clubs besides GPS and Seacoast that offer professional coaching and a 10 month program within about a 30 minute drive of the Salem area? Doesn't matter what league but trying to avoid volunteer coaches. This is for a girl.

Try South, into the North Shore? There are programs there, but fall under the Seacoast or GPS umbrella. NEFC has something in Tyngsboro and also North Shore programs.

Stars in NH has good leadership, but is a thin program at most ages. Better to get into the Lancaster location (but that's more than 30 minutes maybe?)

NH is thin on options to get to that level of coaching and commitment.

Comment

Depends on age. Stars in NH is trying to grow - younger teams (‘04 and younger) getting some traction.

NEFC/World Cup is in Tyngsboro.

What’s wrong with GPS or Seacoast? Been there, done that?

And it depends on your player’s goals? To play NEP, NPL, ECNL, DA???

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Depends on age. Stars in NH is trying to grow - younger teams (‘04 and younger) getting some traction.

NEFC/World Cup is in Tyngsboro.

What’s wrong with GPS or Seacoast? Been there, done that?

And it depends on your player’s goals? To play NEP, NPL, ECNL, DA???
        I was curious about that as well. If it's a "been there, done that" thought...have to wonder what club-jumping will get you in the long run. Maybe this game just isn't the right fit?

Comment

I was curious about that as well. If it's a "been there, done that" thought...have to wonder what club-jumping will get you in the long run. Maybe this game just isn't the right fit?
          Only played at one club. I said other than GPS or Seacoast because I am familiar with both programs and didn't need 20 recommendations for them. I know what they offer and we are considering both and their various options. The point of my post was to learn about options that I might not be aware of, hence my statement that I was looking for options other than those two.

No one is club jumping and the game is the right fit, but thanks for the snark.

We are looking at options as numbers for her age group at our current team are very light and this year was a very disappointing season where the coach more or less gave up on our kids 3 weeks ago. Basically told them they are hopeless and he's done. Not what I would expect from a club committed to developing kids. Coach threw a hissy fit because they aren't winning, so forget about development and ignore them. Not even playing them in a memorial day tournament as promised. We don't care about wins and losses at this age. We want our D to improve.

Therefore, as a consumer who isn't a sheep and wants my kid to actually develop, I'm looking at options. Unlike a lot here, I'm not obsessed with letters in the league and was looking for suggestions of maybe smaller clubs.

Now that I've justified my question to you, do you have anything meaningful to contribute?

Comment

Only played at one club. I said other than GPS or Seacoast because I am familiar with both programs and didn't need 20 recommendations for them. I know what they offer and we are considering both and their various options. The point of my post was to learn about options that I might not be aware of, hence my statement that I was looking for options other than those two.

We are looking at options as numbers for her age group at our current team are very light and this year was a very disappointing season where the coach more or less gave up on our kids 3 weeks ago. Basically told them they are hopeless and he's done. Not what I would expect from a club committed to developing kids. Coach threw a hissy fit because they aren't winning, so forget about development and ignore them. Not even playing them in a memorial day tournament as promised. We don't care about wins and losses at this age. We want our D to improve.

Therefore, as a consumer who isn't a sheep and wants my kid to actually develop, I'm looking at options. Unlike a lot here, I'm not obsessed with letters in the league and was looking for suggestions of maybe smaller clubs.

Now that I've justified my question to you, do you have anything meaningful to contribute?
            My apologies for the snark. Wasn't my intent, but with so few options in NH seems like anyone with real potential who hasn't gone into Mass has spent time in one of those two programs.

Current coach seems like a real winner there.......

Comment

My apologies for the snark. Wasn't my intent, but with so few options in NH seems like anyone with real potential who hasn't gone into Mass has spent time in one of those two programs.

Current coach seems like a real winner there.......
              Gawddammit...now THAT sounded just as snarky.

I should just give up. Apologies once again.

Comment

GPS and SU are really it up here. Again FC Stars has some teams in NH spending on age. They have an ‘04 Girls NEP team and would take a good ‘05 on the team I’m sure if that’s the age you have and I believe they are trying for a 9v9 younger team.

I’m assuming you are at GPS. SU is bigger and have more numbers on the girls side. Both will have two teams when kids are 9v9 and maybe even three but once at 11v11 only SU will have two teams. GPS will have one and possibly 9-11 leftover girls that they try and make into a select team.

So if you have an ‘05 or older and aren’t happy at GPS then I suggest Seacoast. The only other option from your location is is Stars in MA or possibly Scorpions but that’s really only for a player ready to make the leap to NPL (Northeast NPL which is different from NEP NPL), ECNL, or DA. I know they are letters you don’t care about, I’m just saying going to MA for NEP level is not worth the time and money when we have teams here in NH that are at that level and you can find a fit for you here.

Also they switch coaches so often - you should ask if same coach will be back next year?

Comment

Not sure which club you are with, but Seacoast Epping/Hampton and Storm out of Hampstead have their 2018/2019 coaching assignments published on their website if there is someone you are trying to avoid.

Comment

I’m not the snark but I do think you took it wrong. Person was commenting about club jumping since it’s all too common for parents to move from club to club because their player is not getting enough attention, play time, getting better, etc and they blame the club or coach or teams parents. It seemed you knew about GPS and SU and one can assume it’s because you are a club jumper. The next comment you took wrong - person said something about “anyone with merit who hasn’t gone to MA” meaning your player may we’ll have merit and you haven’t been to MA or switched to MA so you would most likely be at either GPS or SU.

I hear you with bad coaching and teams that are scraped together with a broad range of talent but that’s NH. The best players leave for MA and the lower players quit at high school age and you’re left with 14 decent girls who want to keep playing.

Comment

I’m not the snark but I do think you took it wrong. Person was commenting about club jumping since it’s all too common for parents to move from club to club because their player is not getting enough attention, play time, getting better, etc and they blame the club or coach or teams parents. It seemed you knew about GPS and SU and one can assume it’s because you are a club jumper. The next comment you took wrong - person said something about “anyone with merit who hasn’t gone to MA” meaning your player may we’ll have merit and you haven’t been to MA or switched to MA so you would most likely be at either GPS or SU.

I hear you with bad coaching and teams that are scraped together with a broad range of talent but that’s NH. The best players leave for MA and the lower players quit at high school age and you’re left with 14 decent girls who want to keep playing.
                      OP here. I found the comment about maybe the game not being the right fit snarky. I didn't say we jumped clubs. I asked for options other than SU and GPS because we already know them, as do most up here when looking for a club. I was asking about lesser known options. I didn't respond to the second post about going to MA. I think the poster replied to himself, saying he didn't mean for THAT to sound snarky. Either way, no harm done.

Looks like my two main options remain SU and GPS. Or go to MA but not loving the idea of driving with multiple kids in multiple activities. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

It's an interesting question!

Are Seacoast, GPS and FC Stars the only NH clubs who pay their coaches? Everyone else is volunteer?

Comment

Londonderry SC pays its coaches. Mark Ruest also trains younger players, and intermittently with coaches of older division players. They also just partnered with FC Stars to offer a satellites division for players, starting with U10-U12 divisions.

Comment

Windham SC also pays coaches that are supplied by Challenger Sports

Comment

Londonderry just partnered with FC Stars. You should take a look at them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X