Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from ECNL team

My kid joined an ECNL team this year, and finding that it is not the right fit. Can we go back to a NPL team(a different club)? What are the rules? Are we at the mercy of the ECNL club releasing us? Appreciate your thoughts.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My kid joined an ECNL team this year, and finding that it is not the right fit. Can we go back to a NPL team(a different club)? What are the rules? Are we at the mercy of the ECNL club releasing us? Appreciate your thoughts.
    What age group? Do you start the season?

Comment

U14, yes.

Comment

They are separate leagues so ECNL has no right to hold your kid's player pass or anything like that. Main problem is you'll be on the hook for whatever you owe as per the contract.

Comment

They are separate leagues so ECNL has no right to hold your kid's player pass or anything like that. Main problem is you'll be on the hook for whatever you owe as per the contract.
          They're (ECNL & NPL) both US Club soccer, so there is that...but typically, if it's not a good fit the club feels it too and isn't necessarily keen on keeping a player that doesn't want to be there. Best wishes to your daughter, hope she finds a more comfortable situation.

Comment

is it your daughter? or son?

Comment

They're (ECNL & NPL) both US Club soccer, so there is that...but typically, if it's not a good fit the club feels it too and isn't necessarily keen on keeping a player that doesn't want to be there. Best wishes to your daughter, hope she finds a more comfortable situation.
              ECNL clubs rarely have trouble filling spots so they're should be willing to release her (or him), but they might not let you off for the $. Best outcome is negotiate to pay just for the fall. That's fair.

Comment

So your child wants to leave a team which has played 3-4 games so far?
                I see your really giving it a chance.

Comment

So your child wants to leave a team which has played 3-4 games so far?
                  I see your really giving it a chance.
                  Normally I'm not a fan of leaving so early. But I've seen a few situations including with one of my own, where the player is so miserable or coach so bad that the sooner they get out the better. Sometimes it's very obvious it was a poor fit or bad situation. If the player never really belonged some of the blame lies with the club for selecting them. Parents new to a club may not know any better (although plenty push their kids too far up the ladder)

Comment

Normally I'm not a fan of leaving so early. But I've seen a few situations including with one of my own, where the player is so miserable or coach so bad that the sooner they get out the better. Sometimes it's very obvious it was a poor fit or bad situation. If the player never really belonged some of the blame lies with the club for selecting them. Parents new to a club may not know any better (although plenty push their kids too far up the ladder)

Well this child is supposedly playing ECNL, so you would assume they are an above average player. You should be able to determine a good fit or not by tryouts and training sessions.
                    The least they should do us finish out the season.
                    Wouldn't be surprised if PT is an issue.

Comment

Well this child is supposedly playing ECNL, so you would assume they are an above average player. You should be able to determine a good fit or not by tryouts and training sessions.
                      The least they should do us finish out the season.
                      Wouldn't be surprised if PT is an issue.
                      It's all relative - there's a good deal of overlap between bottom of the roster ECNL players and top of the roster NPL players. Being in ECNL doesn't always guarantee a quality player either. You're right it's most likely PT related, or maybe the kid just really misses their old team and/or doesn't like the new one.

Comment

Tryouts have their limitations. It's not crazy for someone to stand out in a your and realize after a month of games and training that they are out of their depth.

Comment

Tryouts have their limitations. It's not crazy for someone to stand out in a your and realize after a month of games and training that they are out of their depth.
                          Let's not forget the flip side...

I know 3-4 top notch players that were playing NPL last year that joined ECNL teams this year. Remember this age group got gutted by GDA...Alby and World Class ECNL would get destroyed by more than one NPL team and East Meadow player standards have dropped dramatically.

So if a kid were a top player in NPL (and I mean top like Regional ODP, NTC and ID2), ECNL might be a big let down. Let's not forget this is U14, many past top ECNL players didn't migrate over until this age or later.

Comment

Let's not forget the flip side...

I know 3-4 top notch players that were playing NPL last year that joined ECNL teams this year. Remember this age group got gutted by GDA...Alby and World Class ECNL would get destroyed by more than one NPL team and East Meadow player standards have dropped dramatically.

So if a kid were a top player in NPL (and I mean top like Regional ODP, NTC and ID2), ECNL might be a big let down. Let's not forget this is U14, many past top ECNL players didn't migrate over until this age or later.
                            Best to do your homework and look at specific teams and coaches whatever the league. There are a lot of variations in location, required budget in dollars and required budget in time for both practice and travel, coaching style and philosophy, roster size, etc. etc. One team may be a great fit and another may not be no matter the league. If you cannot get questions answered to your satisfaction, that is not a good sign.

And don't ever expect a perfect match unless you want to be disappointed. It dos not exist.

Comment

Attending practice's before tryouts is the best way round assess fit. A few cattle calls aren't very helpful. Coach can focus on the candidate more closely and see how they fit with the team. Player and parents get a better sense of skill fit, coaching style, even sideline parents. Parents thinking about moving kids need to get busy in March, not May. The more you know going the less likely you're going to end up like the thread op

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X