URI Women's Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So MN didn't recruit your kid, we can all understand your angst but facts are facts.. MN never started a season 0-7. As for recruiting, maybe retention is important.. Best players left when MJ arrived, all around disaster. This season is a wash, if we win 3 games in the A10 it will be a minor miracle. Support the team, not the leadership!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So MN didn't recruit your kid, we can all understand your angst but facts are facts.. MN never started a season 0-7. As for recruiting, maybe retention is important.. Best players left when MJ arrived, all around disaster. This season is a wash, if we win 3 games in the A10 it will be a minor miracle. Support the team, not the leadership!!
      I am not sure why the recruiting comment was made - it is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. My daughter and I like to watch the games and would like to watch a good product. One can support the team but still point out issues and limitations... it is not mutually exclusive

URI played Brown yesterday and managed only 4 shots (3 on goal) compared 19 (13 on goal) for Brown. Brown controlled the game from start to finish (probably more so than the 5 - 0 score would indicate). My only point is that rebuilding will be a grind - MJ's first recruiting class is getting a lot of time on the field. The returning sophomores are getting a lot of time (with mixed results). The question I had is how long MJ will have to build the team. One recruiting class is insufficient to make any judgments about her longevity.

Comment

I am not sure why the recruiting comment was made - it is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. My daughter and I like to watch the games and would like to watch a good product. One can support the team but still point out issues and limitations... it is not mutually exclusive

URI played Brown yesterday and managed only 4 shots (3 on goal) compared 19 (13 on goal) for Brown. Brown controlled the game from start to finish (probably more so than the 5 - 0 score would indicate). My only point is that rebuilding will be a grind - MJ's first recruiting class is getting a lot of time on the field. The returning sophomores are getting a lot of time (with mixed results). The question I had is how long MJ will have to build the team. One recruiting class is insufficient to make any judgments about her longevity.
        Good question. It depends on the performance of those players she recruited. Are their performances better than those leftovers. If you can’t tell the difference then the team will continue to struggle because she has not been able to implement her style of play. Good coaches should be able to identify players that fit their system and not just for the sake of players recruitment. If the players she recruited struggled then that is not s good sign.

Comment

Good question. It depends on the performance of those players she recruited. Are their performances better than those leftovers. If you can’t tell the difference then the team will continue to struggle because she has not been able to implement her style of play. Good coaches should be able to identify players that fit their system and not just for the sake of players recruitment. If the players she recruited struggled then that is not s good sign.
          I would say the euphoria from the football team so far that women's soccer would be low on the items of immediate concern. The success of the men's team (I think GE is now in what, his 6th year or so?) might make a case to give her at least two-three more years to have a full team of her recruits. The downside is it is very possible URI might go winless.

Comment

URI woman’s soccer

Basically in a nutshell it’s the coaches for this team that just plain suck! Has anyone ever noticed MJ and GC arguing along the sidelines because neither has no idea on what to say or who to sub? We have lost 8 straight games a re-enactment of last year. How do they expect to get any respectable good players into a program that has not succeeded in almost two seasons? More girls to transfer out after this season!

Comment

Basically in a nutshell it’s the coaches for this team that just plain suck! Has anyone ever noticed MJ and GC arguing along the sidelines because neither has no idea on what to say or who to sub? We have lost 8 straight games a re-enactment of last year. How do they expect to get any respectable good players into a program that has not succeeded in almost two seasons? More girls to transfer out after this season!
              Sack the coaching staff now... why wait? Bring in a new coach so he/she can try and salvage the season, see what they really want out of the current players, and start their own recruiting process. Some of the players here are NOT D1 material! Sorry! A lot can be said about the coaches but I do not see much talent there.

Comment

Sack the coaching staff now... why wait? Bring in a new coach so he/she can try and salvage the season, see what they really want out of the current players, and start their own recruiting process. Some of the players here are NOT D1 material! Sorry! A lot can be said about the coaches but I do not see much talent there.
                Let’s be honest, on the girls side there aren’t many skill players. Most of the more technical:techplayers are If you can get a girl with U12 skills set you are golden. What is important is does the coach recruit the right players for his/her system. Most of the technical/tactical players are foreigners. They are more easy adapt to the system. However, if the coach preference is to play long ball then skills are neutralize (skill not required).

Comment

Another loss last night.... a game in which they were outshot 20 (12 on goal) to 6 (4 on goal). URI didn't earn a corner kick until the 2nd half.

The long season continues

Comment

has there been any actual D1 talent on their roster for the last four years?

Comment

has there been any actual D1 talent on their roster for the last four years?
                      Yes but all depends how the coach utilize them. The Iceland girls are all decent players and couple of the NE players have quality. It doesn’t help when you have skill players playing long balls. Skill players are more suited to play a possession ground game. If you play long balls then you negate their skill sets. That is why a coach needs to establish a style of play then recruit players that fit the system.

Comment

Yes but all depends how the coach utilize them. The Iceland girls are all decent players and couple of the NE players have quality. It doesn’t help when you have skill players playing long balls. Skill players are more suited to play a possession ground game. If you play long balls then you negate their skill sets. That is why a coach needs to establish a style of play then recruit players that fit the system.
                        And they do not have that type of long ball forward you need to be that target player. Just a mess. Earlier post was correct. Why wait and let the staff go now. End of season a lot of the players can be sent to D2 where they belong. Stop the bleeding!

Comment

More of the same today... though the final was only 1 - 0, URI was outshot 21 - 5 (10 - 1 on goal!). Forwards counted for two of the five shots (and the one on goal). UMass had 11 corners to URI's 3. Maybe it is time to hire a coach (head or assistant) that can do something about building offense...

If you look at their 10 defeats - they are averaging 8 shots with 4 on goal while surrendering 17 shots with 8 on goal. In only one game (Wagner) did URI outshoot an opponent 16 to 8. However only one of those were on goal (compared to 4 for Wagner) in a 1 - 0 loss.

Is it scheme (or lack thereof), execution, or players?

Comment

More of the same today... though the final was only 1 - 0, URI was outshot 21 - 5 (10 - 1 on goal!). Forwards counted for two of the five shots (and the one on goal). UMass had 11 corners to URI's 3. Maybe it is time to hire a coach (head or assistant) that can do something about building offense...

If you look at their 10 defeats - they are averaging 8 shots with 4 on goal while surrendering 17 shots with 8 on goal. In only one game (Wagner) did URI outshoot an opponent 16 to 8. However only one of those were on goal (compared to 4 for Wagner) in a 1 - 0 loss.

Is it scheme (or lack thereof), execution, or players?
                            It is coaching and players. Hopefully, URI sees this and doesn't let this continue another year. This staff should not have been hired. And a few of these players are D2 and D3 at best. Don't know about this years Fr class. But Soph's and Jr. class... reassess and cut losses.

Comment

It is coaching and players. Hopefully, URI sees this and doesn't let this continue another year. This staff should not have been hired. And a few of these players are D2 and D3 at best. Don't know about this years Fr class. But Soph's and Jr. class... reassess and cut losses.
                              Again the technical skills on the girls side aren’t that much of a difference. Speed of play is the deciding factor between D1 and D2. I have seen D2 players with more technical skills than some D1 players.

Comment

Can they "cut losses"? Is URI required to honor scholarships? I suppose they could "encourage" players to transfer by telling the players playing time will be limited.

Does anyone know who the players that transferred away from URI are doing with their new schools?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X