Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please, BV has an all state defender who no one knows and they gave up 32 goals this year, meanwhile Smithfield gives up 16 but no representation? Really?

EG forward makes all state but not even close on leading scorer list and was pretty much shut down against every team that had a defense in place? No state title, no scoring title but on list? Please

sorry but just calling them as I see um.
    n

Smithfield has two I thought they were the two are they the two centerbacks? Those two are the best I saw all season-I hope they got recognition. You must be wrong on that one.

I don't know all these initials though.

Comment

Not a single player from Lincoln.

Yeah and why should there be anyone from Lincoln?

Comment

n

Smithfield has two I thought they were the two are they the two centerbacks? Those two are the best I saw all season-I hope they got recognition. You must be wrong on that one.

I don't know all these initials though.
        I don't know if they were the best but they were ones I remember so they must have been good-hard to keep all these kids straight but yeah they should be on here.

I disagree that they should pick more kids based on the final standings it should be for the best players why penalize the player if their team doesn't win more-like yeah look at things like goals against for defenders and for offense look at goals scores. A team with not many goals scored but a kid on their who may have less but a bigger percent may be a better player then a kid who scores a lot on a team that scores a lot see what I mean?

Comment

There are players in D2, D3, D4 who are extremely gifted but they get penalized for being in schools that does not play in D1. So no system is perfect. Most coaches are clueless about the game. ProJo are clueless. So it is what it is. You will have players in D2, D3, D4 that will move on and play college soccer.

Comment

There are players in D2, D3, D4 who are extremely gifted but they get penalized for being in schools that does not play in D1. So no system is perfect. Most coaches are clueless about the game. ProJo are clueless. So it is what it is. You will have players in D2, D3, D4 that will move on and play college soccer.
            Of course. Spot on.

Comment

Where exactly is D4?

Comment

Since everyone is clueless it is a good thing we have parents like you. Wait a minute there is no D4 only D3A & D3B well there goes that theory that you are not clueless.

Comment

Very good showing from girls from Bayside FC (in all divisions.)

Comment

Very good showing from girls from Bayside FC (in all divisions.)
                    And NEFC

Comment

Coaches fault.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how many of the all staters go on to play in college.
                        We will hear more in February (at least for a few) once National Letters get signed.

Comment

Of course. Spot on.
                          Right, so avoid this tortured 1st/2d/3rd team, especially when the lower Divs are only getting the offensive standouts; it's much harder to say that center defender on a D2/3 team stands out compared to the D1 group, especially when this year there were a lot of returning all-staters so you have to deal with the existing reputation carryover.

However, the question remains - "what would be a better system?"

(1) You have papers where no sports reporter/editors cover soccer sufficiently (not blaming them, it's a reality of the newspaper business now) to be a true independent panel.

(2) The refs in many cases can't even call games decently so would not trust them to include some added information on standout players (plus you'd have to pay them more to do that).

(3) There is no state wide body doing on any sufficiently large scale HS player ID/scouting for ODP (and some of them are coaches anyway) and even if you add this, you would bias toward D1, maybe upper tier D2.

So, that leave the coaches who at least see the players, even if you accept the inevitable human aspects of favoritism, politics, biases, etc.

Perhaps one way is to create a larger 16 or 18 person all division team (D1, D2, D3 combined) with 2 GK, 5 or 6 def, 5 or 6 MF and 4 to 5 forwards - then try to cobble together a single all state team of 18 from that group of 48 or so. Let the coaches pick, but perhaps have a rule you can't put your own players down and pick 24 or so and then have the RIGSCA meeting fight over the 18 in the respective divisions.

Perhaps if RI had a forcing function like VT/NH have with their "twin state cup match" -- RI has it with CT I think in football? In VT, I believe the list of all division folks meet and have a tryout where the state coaching staff and others can evaluate them before they select the all-state team for the match against NH the following summer.

Let's face it - there is not a perfect system; even comparing it to the eventual college commit lists is flawed as some talented kids who might be able to play at a lower level opt to go to a school for a lot more important reasons than athletics instead of forcing themselves to a school simply to make a college program.

And soccer is a team game; individuals for sure can have a huge impact, but looking at team results to judge individual players (especially on the defensive side) ignores the contributions (or lack of contributions) of the other players as well as the good/bad coaching decisions on how individuals are used and the system/tactics dictated by the coach.

Comment

Right, so avoid this tortured 1st/2d/3rd team, especially when the lower Divs are only getting the offensive standouts; it's much harder to say that center defender on a D2/3 team stands out compared to the D1 group, especially when this year there were a lot of returning all-staters so you have to deal with the existing reputation carryover.

However, the question remains - "what would be a better system?"

(1) You have papers where no sports reporter/editors cover soccer sufficiently (not blaming them, it's a reality of the newspaper business now) to be a true independent panel.

(2) The refs in many cases can't even call games decently so would not trust them to include some added information on standout players (plus you'd have to pay them more to do that).

(3) There is no state wide body doing on any sufficiently large scale HS player ID/scouting for ODP (and some of them are coaches anyway) and even if you add this, you would bias toward D1, maybe upper tier D2.

So, that leave the coaches who at least see the players, even if you accept the inevitable human aspects of favoritism, politics, biases, etc.

Perhaps one way is to create a larger 16 or 18 person all division team (D1, D2, D3 combined) with 2 GK, 5 or 6 def, 5 or 6 MF and 4 to 5 forwards - then try to cobble together a single all state team of 18 from that group of 48 or so. Let the coaches pick, but perhaps have a rule you can't put your own players down and pick 24 or so and then have the RIGSCA meeting fight over the 18 in the respective divisions.

Perhaps if RI had a forcing function like VT/NH have with their "twin state cup match" -- RI has it with CT I think in football? In VT, I believe the list of all division folks meet and have a tryout where the state coaching staff and others can evaluate them before they select the all-state team for the match against NH the following summer.

Let's face it - there is not a perfect system; even comparing it to the eventual college commit lists is flawed as some talented kids who might be able to play at a lower level opt to go to a school for a lot more important reasons than athletics instead of forcing themselves to a school simply to make a college program.

And soccer is a team game; individuals for sure can have a huge impact, but looking at team results to judge individual players (especially on the defensive side) ignores the contributions (or lack of contributions) of the other players as well as the good/bad coaching decisions on how individuals are used and the system/tactics dictated by the coach.
                            Exhaustinh

Comment

We will hear more in February (at least for a few) once National Letters get signed.
                              A bunch of these all staters/new englanders have no intention to play in college like the 2 AFs from EG and LSA.

A couple others are headed to URI (KV from Pilgrim/GM from EG). MS from LSA is heading to LaSalle and MD from LSA is heading to Sacred Heart.

Some of the 2nd and 3rd team seniors are heading to Southern Conn, Southern NH, Holy Cross. I think some of the All division seniors from Bayside U18 are heading to places like Conn College and Northeastern.

Comment

Who is going to Northeastern and are they really capable of playing soccer at that high of a level?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X