Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In what other sports is winning not important?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm the OP, and I'm here to tell you the situation is just the opposite. First, I have license and certifications. Second, you will never see my kids gliding through a game at 3/4 speed. They want to win, and know they need to hustle to get it done. When I want to see kids running at 3/4 speed, I look for the teams that never win. The kids are so demoralized they don't see the purpose of putting in the effort. They are just trying to survive the drudgery...they don't expect a happy outcome so they don't work for it. Truth!
    When you have the omnipotence to influence players besides those you coach, the sport will be saved!

Until then, thanks for sharing your anecdote.

Comment

I am not Donald Trump.....but.....

Winning is the only thing that any kid should have on his/her mind. In addition, they should act and play as though they are the only one to get the team the victory......

Doesn't this sound so bass-ackwards you want to scream and don't I sound like some Trump-like supremacist?? Well maybe....but with regard to developing skills for the individual this is the attitude that the child must have at least until the age of 14 or 15. I have seen now in three different team sports that those kids who develop the most, become the best, and ultimately get recruited to colleges and the pros have this feeling, this attitude, and exhibit this behavior.

They, in their path, develop and realize that they are part of a team, or some very wise and worthwhile coach adds to their soccer game by making them start to play part of a team.

As for the coaches and parents.....well....winning isn't everything especially if you are going to let individuals believe and play like I suggest. Full support for the game whether they win or lose, whether the kid scores or doesn't, whether the kid defends well or not, is what gets the kid out there the next day and the next game.
      Argh!! Can someone please horse whip this idiot.

Comment

Coach, question for you....

Can you speak to how you try to develop the individual with a group goal in mind? i.e. kids start at different levels, develop at different paces, and have different goals in mind. The most successful coaches we've come across take the time to drill it down to the player. Some get "yelled" at for things others don't...because they know them and expect different from them.

Thoughts?
        If you want to "just" win at youth soccer (and indeed any unlimited-substitution soccer), you can play simple Route One soccer, and press all game long. It works, and does not require any high-level (maybe not the right word - "elite?") soccer technique or IQ. Neither does it require any elite tactics.

If you want to teach a team how to beat a physically equivalent (or indeed superior) team, you need individuals with elite technique and IQ, and you need a team with elite tactics. The tactics (the "group goal") are impossible to pull off unless your individuals are possessed of elite technique and IQ.

And those (technique, IQ, and tactics) take YEARS to develop - hence a focus on long-term.

That's it in a nutshell.

- a coach

Comment

If you want to "just" win at youth soccer (and indeed any unlimited-substitution soccer), you can play simple Route One soccer, and press all game long. It works, and does not require any high-level (maybe not the right word - "elite?") soccer technique or IQ. Neither does it require any elite tactics.

If you want to teach a team how to beat a physically equivalent (or indeed superior) team, you need individuals with elite technique and IQ, and you need a team with elite tactics. The tactics (the "group goal") are impossible to pull off unless your individuals are possessed of elite technique and IQ.

And those (technique, IQ, and tactics) take YEARS to develop - hence a focus on long-term.

That's it in a nutshell.

- a coach
          and what if your kid just wants to play the game for fun and isn't super invested in being developed?? What then oh sage one?

Comment

and what if your kid just wants to play the game for fun and isn't super invested in being developed?? What then oh sage one?
            There's plenty of opportunities out there for them then. And, kudos to them if that's the case.

Just don't get your panties bunched up of others feel differently.

Comment

You have completely missed the point. The coach and club set the development (or lack thereof) philosophy, not the players. The players' job is to train, and compete. If a kid really just wants to play and have fun and not develop their talents to the best of their ability, why play club soccer at all? Play Town Rec/travel, play middle school, play high school... but not one of those kids just playing for fun and "the win", without the drive to train, develop, and become the best, will play beyond high school (if that).

I laugh at this mind set. My 11yo kid came off the field after the loss and said "all they did was kick the ball long to the same player all game". He recognized direct soccer, and understood why his team lost to that "style", even though his team was technically superior. He is gaining soccer awareness and tactical understanding, as well as the skills to possess under pressure. Teaching direct soccer is easy, teaching patient possession soccer is not. Who will be better prepared in a few years time?

Comment

I am not Donald Trump.....but.....

Winning is the only thing that any kid should have on his/her mind. In addition, they should act and play as though they are the only one to get the team the victory......

Doesn't this sound so bass-ackwards you want to scream and don't I sound like some Trump-like supremacist?? Well maybe....but with regard to developing skills for the individual this is the attitude that the child must have at least until the age of 14 or 15. I have seen now in three different team sports that those kids who develop the most, become the best, and ultimately get recruited to colleges and the pros have this feeling, this attitude, and exhibit this behavior.

They, in their path, develop and realize that they are part of a team, or some very wise and worthwhile coach adds to their soccer game by making them start to play part of a team.

As for the coaches and parents.....well....winning isn't everything especially if you are going to let individuals believe and play like I suggest. Full support for the game whether they win or lose, whether the kid scores or doesn't, whether the kid defends well or not, is what gets the kid out there the next day and the next game.
                What the....?? My kid is competitive as they come, to the point of being a virtual a-hole sore loser if she doesn't. She plays on different teams, and uses her practice and school-team time to "try other things". i.e. maybe she'll try that move she's been working on that she wouldn't dare try if the game actually meant something. She's developing as she's doing it, gaining confidence, and will eventually try it later. She wants to win, but also understands there's a time to develop and a time to bleed.

Comment

play pickup

-a coach

Comment

You have completely missed the point. The coach and club set the development (or lack thereof) philosophy, not the players. The players' job is to train, and compete. If a kid really just wants to play and have fun and not develop their talents to the best of their ability, why play club soccer at all? Play Town Rec/travel, play middle school, play high school... but not one of those kids just playing for fun and "the win", without the drive to train, develop, and become the best, will play beyond high school (if that).

I laugh at this mind set. My 11yo kid came off the field after the loss and said "all they did was kick the ball long to the same player all game". He recognized direct soccer, and understood why his team lost to that "style", even though his team was technically superior. He is gaining soccer awareness and tactical understanding, as well as the skills to possess under pressure. Teaching direct soccer is easy, teaching patient possession soccer is not. Who will be better prepared in a few years time?
                    The first stage of development should be learning to love the game for what the game is. That is what ultimately fuels all of the really hard and boring work that has to be done in order to become good at possession soccer. Way too many of you want your kids to be gifted and talented at everything they do without putting in that drudgery so you never bother to let them learn how to have fun doing what they are doing. You can teach possession soccer all that you want but if the kid isn't motivated to learn it, that will only go so far.

Comment

The first stage of development should be learning to love the game for what the game is. That is what ultimately fuels all of the really hard and boring work that has to be done in order to become good at possession soccer. Way too many of you want your kids to be gifted and talented at everything they do without putting in that drudgery so you never bother to let them learn how to have fun doing what they are doing. You can teach possession soccer all that you want but if the kid isn't motivated to learn it, that will only go so far.
                      100% correct. If your kid isn't motivated to learn to play with a ball, and not chase after it, it will only go so far. If they don't want to spend that time learning what the body can do, how it can control a round object with everything but their hands, to make other kids look silly with the least amount of movement possible, that's absolutely OK.

There are leagues for that, and, I mean this sincerely, I hope they continue to play in them, love the game, and pass that love along to their kids.

Hopefully, their kids will take to all the nuances more and we'll keep growing.

Comment

That's it in a nutshell.

- a coach
                        Just wondering how you feel about playing time for the best vs the worst? How can the worst bridge the gap (especially on tactics and IQ) if there is a large discrepancy in playing time?

Comment

Just wondering how you feel about playing time for the best vs the worst? How can the worst bridge the gap (especially on tactics and IQ) if there is a large discrepancy in playing time?
                          What age are we discussing? High school? U-little?

Play time should be equal at the younger ages and shift slowly to earned/ability as they get older. By the time you reach high school, it should be about earning you position and time on the field

Comment

What age are we discussing? High school? U-little?

Play time should be equal at the younger ages and shift slowly to earned/ability as they get older. By the time you reach high school, it should be about earning you position and time on the field
                            U10-U13?

Also at a competitive travel or club level.

Comment

U10-U13?

Also at a competitive travel or club level.
                              On the girls side, things are a heck of a lot more involved at U13 than they are at U10. So that is a pretty big age disparity. In a high level club situation even at U10 there really shouldn't be the idea that everyone gets an automatic 50%. It should be earned. That said even in that situation a coach shouldn't be putting a kid on their roster unless they are willing to give them 30-40% of the minutes. Town soccer is a different animal altogether. Different expectations so there obviously should be different rules.

Comment

Argh!! Can someone please horse whip this idiot.

Take note in 5 years when your kid is just one of the bottom half of the team. Fact is 9-13% of kids go on to play college (any division). If (and I really mean IF) that is a goal, then the training and attitude starts very early......and, although against what many want to hear, the ball hog and the one who wants to win it all alone will be the one who develops most. By the way, the value of multiple small sided games is to allow that attitude to be shared by more than just one or two in a 11 v 11 game.

Clearly, your kid doesn't have the attitude or you are not interested in your kid being selfish enough to develop beyond his/her piers. Which is OK....I am sure that there is some place for you kid, perhaps on defense of a weaker team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X