Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on TS. Yes, if your child is very unathletic at 12, they are unlikely to change. But to say you should know that your child will be a top college prospect at 12 . . . . I have seen WAY too many 11 and 12 year old stars fade within a couple of years. Seriously, skilled impact players that either can't/won't keep up with their cohort.

There are many paths to the "top". A top coach once told me that he could pick out the kids that would be successful college soccer players. He said it wasn't the ones with the most talent, it was the ones with the most drive.

You need both things, talent and drive, and at age 12 there are still too many variables to really say what the future holds. As a general rule!
    The key word would be "potential" On the girls side they start looking at the top level players in the 7th grade now. When exactly should a family that thinking about how much upside potential their child may have with soccer?

Comment

The key word would be "potential" On the girls side they start looking at the top level players in the 7th grade now. When exactly should a family that thinking about how much upside potential their child may have with soccer?
      I was talking about boys, cannot speak to girls, and recruiting in 7th grade.

Comment

I was talking about boys, cannot speak to girls, and recruiting in 7th grade.
        Boys have so few scholarship opportunities all of club soccer is pretty much a waste of time if you are in it for that.

Comment

Hi everyone! I am so glad I stumbled on this site!We are new to the area and are looking for a club for my two daughters. My older girl is 12 and a natural born scorer. She is scrappy and has a nose for the goal. The younger 10 year old is a formidable defender. She plays sweeper for our old rec team. We have decided it is time to make the foray into the world of club soccer. Where should we turn?
          In my experience you have more of a chance getting a scholarship for the formidable defender.

Comment

Boys have so few scholarship opportunities all of club soccer is pretty much a waste of time if you are in it for that.
            go academic

Comment

but my kid plays for NEFC. Doesn't that increase her odds for scholarship instead of acedemics.

Comment

but my kid plays for NEFC. Doesn't that increase her odds for scholarship instead of acedemics.
                With the number of their players going to the Ivy and other top schools over the past couple of years its pretty clear that they can do both if they so choose.

Comment

Hi everyone! I am so glad I stumbled on this site!We are new to the area and are looking for a club for my two daughters. My older girl is 12 and a natural born scorer. She is scrappy and has a nose for the goal. The younger 10 year old is a formidable defender. She plays sweeper for our old rec team. We have decided it is time to make the foray into the world of club soccer. Where should we turn?
                  Sweeper. Does that position still exist in club soccer?

Comment

Sweeper. Does that position still exist in club soccer?
                    It should be!

Comment

It should be!
                      GK does that job now

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X