geographically challenged

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand ID camps will be necessary in the future but was hoping that would be after narrowing down the list to those schools where coach shows interest but getting interest when those coaches aren’t at your events is the problem. I know more coaches are at ecnl events so there’s more of a chance to be seen but was wondering if coaches even bother with bottom of league teams. Don’t want to make the move yet as I think it will hurt development (the ecln team is isn’t helping with that at all as evidenced by their poor level of play). Will try videos with follow up first. Also like suggestion of coach reaching out but I again maybe after the list is narrowed, wouldn’t expect him to call all 15 at this point. Thanks all who responded.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I understand ID camps will be necessary in the future but was hoping that would be after narrowing down the list to those schools where coach shows interest but getting interest when those coaches aren’t at your events is the problem. I know more coaches are at ecnl events so there’s more of a chance to be seen but was wondering if coaches even bother with bottom of league teams. Don’t want to make the move yet as I think it will hurt development (the ecln team is isn’t helping with that at all as evidenced by their poor level of play). Will try videos with follow up first. Also like suggestion of coach reaching out but I again maybe after the list is narrowed, wouldn’t expect him to call all 15 at this point. Thanks all who responded.
      That's where a good video can help get coaches to come watch her, or peak their interest if she isn't playing at events they're attending. Coaches don't shop teams, they shop players. They'll go watch a lower level team if there's a player they want to see. That said, they normally have to prioritize when at events and may not get to see everyone on their list. Don't move her if you really think the coaching is better where she is now. Getting recruited further a field is challenging - and costly - but it can be done. Make sure before she goes to any events that she reaches out to the coach again to reiterate her interest + go out of her way to introduce herself when she's there. You want the staff looking out for her

Comment

Coaches go to see specific players, not teams. The positions they are trying to fill also may not line up well with the style of play offered by some teams/leagues. Truth be told if leagues like ECNL could fulfill all their needs, you wouldn’t see international players or others being recruited in relatively high numbers. The patch doesn’t make you a great player and you only need to look at rosters of schools that aren’t that competitive to find ECNL players. I’m not dissing ECNL, but I don’t want you to believe all hope is lost if your d is a very good non-ECNL player. Depending on the school your d is interested in, they may be looking beyond ECNL to fill their rosters.

Comment

Narrowing list to 15 schools helps, but as is often said on TS, targeting is most important.
          “Down South” includes ACC, SEC, and many, many others. Are you looking for money or just looking to play? Where are her academic quals? All of this matters in how you package her up.

Comment

Narrowing list to 15 schools helps, but as is often said on TS, targeting is most important.
            “Down South” includes ACC, SEC, and many, many others. Are you looking for money or just looking to play? Where are her academic quals? All of this matters in how you package her up.
            Once schools were narrowed without soccer (majors, location, size, etc.), got down to 15 by looking at roster for similar resumes to hers, 5 are prob reach, 5 good fit, 5 prob easy. This is all based on a lot of assumptions so until we gage interest a little better (once she actually is seen in person or I guess by video) we can adjust accordingly.

Looking for money as no money probably means the school is not that interested so not much playing time. Straight A honors at a prep school so it looks like she would be able to get in even without soccer to most of the schools, with maybe a boost from soccer for a few.

Comment

In the same situation as you. D wants to play in the south. We targeted FL schools at first and are branching out a little. It's hard when every camp or event near them is a plane ride and multi night hotel stay. ECNL on a bad team is better than National League on a good team if you want to be seen by a lot of schools. Still though, you need to go to ID camps. We are frustrated, but still hopeful.
              Just remember that the challenges you cite will follow her for those 4-5 years....re: plane rides and multi-night hotels for Mom and Dad.

There often on these types of threads are the suggestion of having your club coach gauge interest. If your kid is a real stud who will be a great find, for a school in the South or otherwise, the club coach ought to be able to tell a college coach "hey, for real, you want this girl."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X