Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Same here. Did a good job for us to a certain point, but then actually encouraged us to expand once we got beyond what they had. Same with two teammates.

I think they do quite well at younger girls and for boys; older girls isn't their strong suite but as I just mentioned, it was acknowledged and didn't sell a pack of lies to try to get us to stay. Just the opposite.
    Very surprised at this. I know of at least 3 players that had to fight tooth and nail to move on from GPS to the revs. Even then, they had to pay their way out and one kid remained at the club, over joining the revs, due to being unable to stump up the cash to pay off his remaining ‘balance’! You must have been one of a handful of lucky people. Would never recommend or go back.

Comment

Very surprised at this. I know of at least 3 players that had to fight tooth and nail to move on from GPS to the revs. Even then, they had to pay their way out and one kid remained at the club, over joining the revs, due to being unable to stump up the cash to pay off his remaining ‘balance’! You must have been one of a handful of lucky people. Would never recommend or go back.
      To be clear, I was speaking from the girls side. Not GPS strong suite.

Boys are better overall, but I can't comment on them getting released to Revs. But, still, I don't see how they couldn't just leave after the year is over?

Comment

Glad you had a good experience, but I doubt that is most parents or players’ experience with GPS. GPS is notorious for staffing with inexperienced coaches, high coach turnover, and teams with to few kids on the roster. We had four coaches in a season and most of them had zero coaching experience. GPS brings them from overseas because they are cheap. They’ll ask your kid to play 3 or 4 games per weekend because the teams don’t have enough players. They’ll tell you “it’s great for development” if you ask why. Stay far away from GPS!
        All i did was share our experience, as you did, but I didn't dare speak for "most". Since you feel you can speak for "most" can we assume she was playing where most play - on a mid-level regional team. Turnover at that level is not unique to GPS among the big clubs. Smaller clubs may have may have more continuity but that mid level is their highest.

As for being released, nothing they can do to stop you from changing leagues. As for payment relief or reimbursement, we signed a contract for the full year. Contracts are just that, you still have to pay.

Comment

All i did was share our experience, as you did, but I didn't dare speak for "most". Since you feel you can speak for "most" can we assume she was playing where most play - on a mid-level regional team. Turnover at that level is not unique to GPS among the big clubs. Smaller clubs may have may have more continuity but that mid level is their highest.

As for being released, nothing they can do to stop you from changing leagues. As for payment relief or reimbursement, we signed a contract for the full year. Contracts are just that, you still have to pay.
          You must work for GPS since you speak for them. If you’re a parent who is loyal to GPS, then how do you know how other big clubs operate? You also aren’t denying that turnover is high at GPS either so you know it’s true.

I’ve met at least 8 other families who had similar experiences at GPS so I know it’s not rare. I’ve seen many GPS games, both boys and girls, where the coaches scream nonsense at the kids and act like fools. One time, after the coach was screaming the whole game, one of his players screamed at the referee and got red carded. The player went to the bench and the coach screamed at him until he cried. I thought to myself “the behavior you model, is the behavior your players will do so why be surprised?”. Just a poor organization all around.

Comment

You must work for GPS since you speak for them. If you’re a parent who is loyal to GPS, then how do you know how other big clubs operate? You also aren’t denying that turnover is high at GPS either so you know it’s true.

I’ve met at least 8 other families who had similar experiences at GPS so I know it’s not rare. I’ve seen many GPS games, both boys and girls, where the coaches scream nonsense at the kids and act like fools. One time, after the coach was screaming the whole game, one of his players screamed at the referee and got red carded. The player went to the bench and the coach screamed at him until he cried. I thought to myself “the behavior you model, is the behavior your players will do so why be surprised?”. Just a poor organization all around.
            Umm,
            A) I already said my child left GPS, so no great loyalty.
            B) Where did I imply I speak for GPS or anyone else?
            C) I can speak for other clubs because i have other kids and even the one who was with GPS is now.with another club.

I did ask if it was OK to assume if you were at a mid level, since that's where most are, and you claimed to speak for most. Assume answer is yes

This conversation was about changing clubs, and contracts are very relevant to that. Not sure why you felt "screaming at boys" was material, but if it's the usual GPS rant, then yes, I do feel it fair to say that our experience with NPL was all positive.

Comment

Umm,
              A) I already said my child left GPS, so no great loyalty.
              B) Where did I imply I speak for GPS or anyone else?
              C) I can speak for other clubs because i have other kids and even the one who was with GPS is now.with another club.

I did ask if it was OK to assume if you were at a mid level, since that's where most are, and you claimed to speak for most. Assume answer is yes

This conversation was about changing clubs, and contracts are very relevant to that. Not sure why you felt "screaming at boys" was material, but if it's the usual GPS rant, then yes, I do feel it fair to say that our experience with NPL was all positive.
              Definitely a GPS coach. Zzzz

Comment

Definitely a GPS coach. Zzzz
                Very clearly not a GPS coach. It depends on which coach you get. Anyhow, can you share who the coach was? We and others moved from GPS NPL last year because the coaching and general value for what we pay was so far behind what our friends were getting at other clubs. I think GPS are clearly strong on the boys side, but maybe because that’s where they have their best coaches. Only 1 coach that’s worth the high fees left on the girls side and we drew the short straw!

Wouldn’t say it was a bad club, we just got stuck with a poor coach

Comment

Very clearly not a GPS coach. It depends on which coach you get. Anyhow, can you share who the coach was? We and others moved from GPS NPL last year because the coaching and general value for what we pay was so far behind what our friends were getting at other clubs. I think GPS are clearly strong on the boys side, but maybe because that’s where they have their best coaches. Only 1 coach that’s worth the high fees left on the girls side and we drew the short straw!

So your idea of a good club is one that you have to pick the short straw to get the one good coach?

Comment

So your idea of a good club is one that you have to pick the short straw to get the one good coach?
                    So we have two people sharing individual experiences on teams, and another dismissing those stories and talking about the overall club. Which one is the club shill?

Comment

Legacy Sports

Any longtime GPS families have a take on differences since they were acquired by Legacy Sports Group? More tournaments? More pay to stay hotels? Etc.

Comment

G-otta
                        P-ay2play
                        S-uckas

Comment

I agree, but that is what happens at every club. Not all coaches at every club is great or even good. And sometimes, it's the team too as far as not having chemistry. We've been with some teams that the girls were very supportive of each other and some where they were very territorial. Parents are a different animal; usually most are territorial. GPS is a good club.

Comment

I agree, but that is what happens at every club. Not all coaches at every club is great or even good. And sometimes, it's the team too as far as not having chemistry. We've been with some teams that the girls were very supportive of each other and some where they were very territorial. Parents are a different animal; usually most are territorial. GPS is a good club.
                            Thanks, GPS coach!

Comment

Heard from a very good source that Bayern Munich will not be renewing their partnership/deal and it’s looking increasingly likely It may well be replaced with Valencia FC. Does anyone know if there is any weight behind this? Huge blow if so
                              I wonder if Bayern's fee was gong to go up so that's why GPS are moving on. Not sure Valencia has as much appeal then Bayern does for players.

Comment

Revs and GPS compete in different leagues. You would never have to pay for ‘release’ plus Revs tend to do their recruiting at end of season, not mid-year so generally nothing owed. but nice try.

Word case scenario and your right, GPS must be doing good job developing players for next level.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X