Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reign FC moving to Tacoma. What happens to Reign Academy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reign Academy announced 3 new coaches on twitter today.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Reign Academy announced 3 new coaches on twitter today.
      Exciting to see them adding female coaches! Now if they would only clear out the negative coaches at the top...

Comment

Haven’t looked extensively at the new coaches but agree that selecting women to lead their teams is a positive step.

Comment

Haven’t looked extensively at the new coaches but agree that selecting women to lead their teams is a positive step.
          Including the Associate Head Coach for UW.

Comment

Exciting to see them adding female coaches! Now if they would only clear out the negative coaches at the top...
            My kids have had a lot of coaches at various clubs, and we’ve seen and interacted with a lot of coaches from various clubs. No coach is perfect, and even coaches that most people think are great can end up being a bad fit for some kids. In our experience, the current Reign coaches have generally been the most positive coaches we’ve had at any club, and my kid has spent a lot of time with each of them.

As a general rule, most club soccer coaches don’t have the kind of formal training in child development and child psychology, oral and written communication skills, or teaching skills that they need to be highly effective at their jobs. Some coaches develop those skills through experience, and others just don’t. The Reign coaches seem to at least have a genuine interest in handling those aspects of their jobs effectively.

There are perfectly sound reasons why one could conclude that ecnl looks like a better option than DA (or why one could reach the opposite conclusion), or why one could view the prospects for Reign’s reserve program as too uncertain to make that jump vs staying with an rcl or pspl team with a coach who you think will help your kid develop as a soccer player as much as possible over the next year. I don’t think a concern that the Reign coaches are not sufficiently positive, particularly as compared with many of the coaches with some of the competing club options, as among those concerns.

Comment

Read the quote above. That is not a public service announcement, just more desperate attempts by spurned parents to justify their current course for their kid. Good for them that they are happy with their current course. Sad about the axe grinding. GDA and ECNL in WA state are different choices. Why are spurned parents and employees of ENCL clubs are so desperate to disparage Reign and GDA? Why can't there be a choice ?
              There is a sense from the postings that ENCL in WA state is now youth soccer utopia where everyone gets to play elite level soccer and everyone gets equal opportunity to develop and be recruited to the college of their choice. In an effort to capture the marketshare in WA state from GDA, ECNL flooded the league with new clubs. Used to be 2 ENCL clubs , now 5 clubs. The NW division of ECNL now looks exactly like the old NW Regional League! If you look at the ENCL clubs at the high school level alone (4 age groups and 5 clubs) and guess 18 players per team, you are talking about 360 players in ENCL in WA state alone. Guess what? There are not 360 elite high school players in WA state! This does not include the players who chose to stay GDA either. Most of these ECNL teams will have maybe a half dozen elite players mixed in with B level players? Who are these half dozen elite players training with at practice? Will the ENCL coaches who are paid to win (and yes also develop) sit these elite players on the bench to allow the rest of the team to develop and get exposure during big games and national showcases? Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. Maybe not so easy to be seen at a national event when you walk in with 400 players from WA state alone? Just saying that no league is perfect. You can't have everything. There is an expectation that this new ECNL in WA state will provide the same opportunities for players that it did 5 years ago. On closer look, looks like ECNL has become the Elite Club Regional League in WA state. What do others think?
              Lol. Dude, you are delusional, like most ECNL and DA parents.
              Everything is diluted. At all levels. Duh. Maybe you don't
              get it bc your kid wasn't part of the top group.
              Outsider looking in. I get it. Understand this, dad:
              The best players are not at Reign or ECNL clubs. Mixed salad.
              If you experience Pre-DA socal teams or region iv, then you
              would know what the hell I am talking about.

These kids at Reign or other ECNL clubs are not strangers.
              Pretty much the same group of kids from U12, plus or minus.
              I am an equal opportunity caller of bullcrap on both sides, DA and ECNL.

I was actually complementing Reign for telling the truth about
              the purpose of DA. Find. NT. Players. Rest. You. Get. What. You. Get.
              No different than a certain club carrying over 18 players and not
              being able to travel or suit up. Same *********gery on both sides.

If your kid can live with it, God bless her. Too much downside for mine.
              Spurned, like in jealous? No, choice. The truth is if the real top players
              actually joined Reign, more than half of your girls would have been cut.
              For now, gotta live with the dilution and do what is best for your kid.

Comment

My kids have had a lot of coaches at various clubs, and we’ve seen and interacted with a lot of coaches from various clubs. No coach is perfect, and even coaches that most people think are great can end up being a bad fit for some kids. In our experience, the current Reign coaches have generally been the most positive coaches we’ve had at any club, and my kid has spent a lot of time with each of them.

As a general rule, most club soccer coaches don’t have the kind of formal training in child development and child psychology, oral and written communication skills, or teaching skills that they need to be highly effective at their jobs. Some coaches develop those skills through experience, and others just don’t. The Reign coaches seem to at least have a genuine interest in handling those aspects of their jobs effectively.

There are perfectly sound reasons why one could conclude that ecnl looks like a better option than DA (or why one could reach the opposite conclusion), or why one could view the prospects for Reign’s reserve program as too uncertain to make that jump vs staying with an rcl or pspl team with a coach who you think will help your kid develop as a soccer player as much as possible over the next year. I don’t think a concern that the Reign coaches are not sufficiently positive, particularly as compared with many of the coaches with some of the competing club options, as among those concerns.
                I agree with much of what you've said here -- coaches don't have the training to deal with kids, and there are good, bad and okay coaches in every club. Every coach isn't good for every player...but glad your kid has apparently not worked with the Reign coach who has called players "disgusting," "repulsive" etc etc.." Those words thrown at the entire team when they lost. Another Reign Coach that has since left also known for being really harsh. I know this is pervasive but I think parents need to stop accepting it.

Comment

PSPL announced yesterday on FB. A partnership with the Reign Academy. Article makes it sounds like they are starting there own “club.”
                  If Reign are indeed starting a club and charging players this is very strange. Professional club academies are free, at least the academies of top notch professional clubs. The press release states they will have a team starting at 9 years old all the way to 13/14. This feels more like a way for Reign to pad their balance sheet since they don’t generate enough revenue from ticket sales. It will be interesting to see how many first team players will be moonlighting as coaches at this club. The larger problem is that now the Reign may be contributing to Pay-to-Play. Does anyone know if this program is free to players or if not, what the annual per-player fee is?

Comment

If Reign are indeed starting a club and charging players this is very strange. Professional club academies are free, at least the academies of top notch professional clubs. The press release states they will have a team starting at 9 years old all the way to 13/14. This feels more like a way for Reign to pad their balance sheet since they don’t generate enough revenue from ticket sales. It will be interesting to see how many first team players will be moonlighting as coaches at this club. The larger problem is that now the Reign may be contributing to Pay-to-Play. Does anyone know if this program is free to players or if not, what the annual per-player fee is?
                    It isn’t free, and in fact costs a bit more than other clubs. That isn’t “strange”— even some boys DA clubs affiliated with MLS teams aren’t free. On the girls side, there are only a couple clubs in the country that are free or close to it, and even then only for a couple hs aged girls teams with pay to play in the younger ages. Although it’s important to control costs and have financial aid available to make playing accessible to those who otherwise can’t afford it (as Reign and other clubs all do), I’m not sure pay to play is really that big of a problem or, more importantly, that there is any viable way to address it in the short term. What’s the model? Some sugar daddy decides to subsidize club soccer for a bunch of families who can afford to pay it? Is that really a particularly good use of charitable $? Or should a developing pro league that is struggling to make ends meet and can’t even pay its pro players living wages divert some of its limited revenues to subsidizing a bunch of families? Sure, US Soccer and SUM could kick in some of the tv revenues from the world cups and dramatically shrink their soccer bureaucracy in Chicago, but that won’t happen any time soon and even if it did it would take an awful lot of money to fully subsidize youth soccer throughout the country and I’d think there would be better ways to promote the development of youth soccer in the country.

Comment

From Reign email:
                      Program Fees:
                      Development Academy - $2,950
                      Reserves - $2,750
                      Pre-Academy 07/08- $2,550
                      Pre-Academy 09/10 - $2,250

Comment

That is expensive, but not insane. I have no problem with NWSL players “moonlighting” as coaches. I imagine their $20k salary isn’t cutting it...

Comment

From Reign email:
                          Program Fees:
                          Development Academy - $2,950
                          Reserves - $2,750
                          Pre-Academy 07/08- $2,550
                          Pre-Academy 09/10 - $2,250
                          I thought one of US Soccer's priorities was to make the game more accessible. The program fees for DA are higher than XF, SU, WP, and EastSide. And they travel more. That's nuts.

Comment

I thought one of US Soccer's priorities was to make the game more accessible. The program fees for DA are higher than XF, SU, WP, and EastSide. And they travel more. That's nuts.
                            That's higher than PacNW, as well.

Comment

Thorns Academy charged about the same 3k in program fees and then extra but somewhat subsidized for showcases. Reign in step with that.

Comment

Thorns Academy charged about the same 3k in program fees and then extra but somewhat subsidized for showcases. Reign in step with that.
                                If that's the going rate for GDA teams that are sponsored by NWSL clubs, that's a problem. Higher fees than other clubs, more time needed by parents to get to more training sessions, more travel for games... on and on. It's making soccer LESS accessible.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X