Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you know that all but 2 spots are filled, how many did they invite?
    We were told only 17 invited.

Comment

We were told only 17 invited.
      One kid already turned them down due to basketball, smart kid.

Folks this has become a something of a joke especially for the kids that are your local fare middle school variety.

It's starting to resemble the Rose City 'travel' futsal teams ilk.

Laughable.

Comment

One kid already turned them down due to basketball, smart kid.

Folks this has become a something of a joke especially for the kids that are your local fare middle school variety.

It's starting to resemble the Rose City 'travel' futsal teams ilk.

Laughable.
        The b-ball kid will still train with the group and is not considered part of the 17 players

Comment

The b-ball kid will still train with the group and is not considered part of the 17 players
          He is not part of the team, coming to train is an individual choice.

Will be part of another local club team instead.

Seriously, what's the draw for a local kid in the 5th, 6th or 7th grade kid to give up playing other sports

A contract someday as a Timbers 2 player? That would happen without ever playing a single game with their youth academy.

The competition? Unknown or OYSA

The Coaching? Seriously

The duct tape label Timbers DA? The biggest draw

Facilities? Might be the top label.

All in, All in comical.

Comment

They said we will have a place to play. Option #1 is NorCal DA. Option #2 is Boys ECNL. He said they will be playing in one of those leagues
            I'm trying to figure out which of those options makes less sense and I just can't.

Worth remembering that Sounders don't even have teams at this age, and they're emerging as a world class academy.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out which of those options makes less sense and I just can't.

Worth remembering that Sounders don't even have teams at this age, and they're emerging as a world class academy.
              The Sounders academy turnaround over the last few years is all the more painful given the money grabbing by Peregrine in youth soccer has done little to improve their academy. You couldn't have picked 2 more different approaches to youth soccer.

Comment

If Timbers allow players to get the benefit of their training but still get to be on their own team, play other soccer and other sports and do whatever they want, I think all the Timbers players will sign up for that. That’s the getting your cake and eating it too option for all the best players!

Comment

They said we will have a place to play. Option #1 is NorCal DA. Option #2 is Boys ECNL. He said they will be playing in one of those leagues
                  Timbers would play in Boys Ecnl? I thought the Academy was at war with ecnl? North Cal DA sounds more plausible but will the North Cal teams be willing to travel to Portland?

Comment

Timbers would play in Boys Ecnl? I thought the Academy was at war with ecnl? North Cal DA sounds more plausible but will the North Cal teams be willing to travel to Portland?
                    Again, they have no good options. If they didn't have a couple solid coaches at that age-group I think they would throw in the towel at the middle school ages.

Guess they could play a year up at OYSA, but where does that leave the u14 team next year (mostly 8th graders so playing up would be HS players) - noone to play in fall.

Comment

I hope they play in the NorCal DA- it’s what they deserve for how they have conducted themselves and ran their youth academy and I use the term ran loosely. And my son did receive an invite and we said no for numerous reasons for those that want to try to play the “you are bitter because your kid did not make it” card.

The fact that they are even considering that much travel time for kids who are 12-13 years old is ridiculous. Just shows how unorganized and pathetic those running the program are...

Comment

Again, they have no good options. If they didn't have a couple solid coaches at that age-group I think they would throw in the towel at the middle school ages.

Guess they could play a year up at OYSA, but where does that leave the u14 team next year (mostly 8th graders so playing up would be HS players) - noone to play in fall.
                        In an amazing turn of events, DA screwed over Timbers as badly as they screwed over the local clubs who supported their platform.

Comment

US club (ecnl) is at 'war' with anyone squeezing dollars out of kids in the pay to play/travel framework. Those with the ability to pay more need to go them, right.

US Soccer (DA) isn't at war with anyone they run the show for all Soccer in the states, due to this they get criticized often. Which is par for the course for those with the power.

USYS (Nat leagues/OYSA) is the big brother to US Club and ain't nothing (us club) can do to change this, other than social media postings with hashtags#. #rasiethegame

Unlike the US Club setup, DA membership doesn't have the top clubs calling the shots on away travel.

US Club has no leverage on the few great clubs that register in their leagues, the tail(best clubs) wags the dog (US Club).

The More You Know!

Comment

I hope they play in the NorCal DA- it’s what they deserve for how they have conducted themselves and ran their youth academy and I use the term ran loosely. And my son did receive an invite and we said no for numerous reasons for those that want to try to play the “you are bitter because your kid did not make it” card.

The fact that they are even considering that much travel time for kids who are 12-13 years old is ridiculous. Just shows how unorganized and pathetic those running the program are...
                            If U14s (06s next year) play up, they will be playing U15s--and at that age there's no issue.

The problem the Timbers have--is that their 06 team can probably smoke their 05 team.

Comment

I doubt the Portland Timbers care either way about USSDA vs BECNL.

Comment

US club (ecnl) is at 'war' with anyone squeezing dollars out of kids in the pay to play/travel framework. Those with the ability to pay more need to go them, right.

US Soccer (DA) isn't at war with anyone they run the show for all Soccer in the states, due to this they get criticized often. Which is par for the course for those with the power.

USYS (Nat leagues/OYSA) is the big brother to US Club and ain't nothing (us club) can do to change this, other than social media postings with hashtags#. #rasiethegame

Unlike the US Club setup, DA membership doesn't have the top clubs calling the shots on away travel.

US Club has no leverage on the few great clubs that register in their leagues, the tail(best clubs) wags the dog (US Club).

The More You Know!
                                This is funny considering Timbers - who run USYSA in Oregon - is begging to get into ECNL in Washington. But hey if Spokane and Harmony FC, why not the mighty Timbers!

Reality is stranger than fiction.

The more you know indeed!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X