Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What makes you think GPS is not an option? They have NPL teams at all age groups I believe.
    OP here. That's why I posted here, to get info like this. I wasn't aware that GPS NH had true NPL teams. I had thought those were NPL B teams that earned their berth and therefore wouldn't be a guaranteed option for my D's birth year. Thank you for the information.

To the person who said I'm focusing on badges not coaching....up until now, I've focused exclusively on coaching and development. As we get closer to HS, my D and I want to be sure we get her on the right teams that can offer the right exposure should she want to play in college. Knowing DA and ECNL isn't an option for us, I'm just trying to determine our best course. If an NEP team with a stellar coach leaves her with the most options, I'm okay with that.

What she, and I, are finding tricky is making decisions at a young age when we don't really know what the future holds. So for now, just looking at options and doing our research.

Comment

OP here. That's why I posted here, to get info like this. I wasn't aware that GPS NH had true NPL teams. I had thought those were NPL B teams that earned their berth and therefore wouldn't be a guaranteed option for my D's birth year. Thank you for the information.

To the person who said I'm focusing on badges not coaching....up until now, I've focused exclusively on coaching and development. As we get closer to HS, my D and I want to be sure we get her on the right teams that can offer the right exposure should she want to play in college. Knowing DA and ECNL isn't an option for us, I'm just trying to determine our best course. If an NEP team with a stellar coach leaves her with the most options, I'm okay with that.

What she, and I, are finding tricky is making decisions at a young age when we don't really know what the future holds. So for now, just looking at options and doing our research.
      Well, I do believe they are in the B league of NPL, but wouldn't worry too much about that.

A league is for some clubs who are in, and can't be removed. B has some who moved up from NEP. The bottom of some of the age group's A leagues are terrible, but can't be removed and those clubs are torturing those kids. In some ways, B is better since you can be removed.

(Some of this may be old information and now outdated - if anyone finds it incorrect please do so).

Comment

Well, I do believe they are in the B league of NPL, but wouldn't worry too much about that.

A league is for some clubs who are in, and can't be removed. B has some who moved up from NEP. The bottom of some of the age group's A leagues are terrible, but can't be removed and those clubs are torturing those kids. In some ways, B is better since you can be removed.

(Some of this may be old information and now outdated - if anyone finds it incorrect please do so).
        The landscape of youth soccer is always changing and growing. More and more clubs and leagues rise up and compete to get the top players. I know of many NH girls who play Stars ECNL in MA. 4 ‘01s, 3 ‘02s, 2 ‘04s, and 5 ‘05s that I know personally. That’s 14 girls and I’m sure there are several more at different ages I don’t personally know. Compare that to just 3-4 years ago when there were very in all age groups playing Stars in MA (ECNL/NPL). Of course that brings quality of teams in NH down. I do think Seacoast DA will draw better girls and it should grow as long as the DA improves and continues to be a viable top league. Seacoast won’t do very well as a club in the league (just as their boys side has always been very weak) but it will attract individual soccer studs who want exposure. So where does that leave NH New England NPL teams? They are now the equivalent of higher NEP teams that used to play “premiership level”. Okay teams with some decent players but not top class by any means. College soccer? Sure D3 or even a low D2 for some of the better players.
        Being the best player on a team is not going to challenge anyone. If they are consistently the best player on a NH team, it’s time to bit the bullet and go to MA.

Comment

The landscape of youth soccer is always changing and growing. More and more clubs and leagues rise up and compete to get the top players. I know of many NH girls who play Stars ECNL in MA. 4 ‘01s, 3 ‘02s, 2 ‘04s, and 5 ‘05s that I know personally. That’s 14 girls and I’m sure there are several more at different ages I don’t personally know. Compare that to just 3-4 years ago when there were very in all age groups playing Stars in MA (ECNL/NPL). Of course that brings quality of teams in NH down. I do think Seacoast DA will draw better girls and it should grow as long as the DA improves and continues to be a viable top league. Seacoast won’t do very well as a club in the league (just as their boys side has always been very weak) but it will attract individual soccer studs who want exposure. So where does that leave NH New England NPL teams? They are now the equivalent of higher NEP teams that used to play “premiership level”. Okay teams with some decent players but not top class by any means. College soccer? Sure D3 or even a low D2 for some of the better players.
          Being the best player on a team is not going to challenge anyone. If they are consistently the best player on a NH team, it’s time to bit the bullet and go to MA.
          Funny, I know some of those same girls and most would be good, not above and beyond great, on the best NH teams today. They made a decision to go to MA for reasons that all need to consider individually, but it's not because they are so good it would be wasted by playing here. Well, I should say, they may THINK that, but thoughts and realities can have a large gap.

Comment

Funny, I know some of those same girls and most would be good, not above and beyond great, on the best NH teams today. They made a decision to go to MA for reasons that all need to consider individually, but it's not because they are so good it would be wasted by playing here. Well, I should say, they may THINK that, but thoughts and realities can have a large gap.
            Agree. Thank you for stating this as I was spitting out my coffee while reading it. I know 5 of those "studs" and let's just say... Some are not all that impressive.

Comment

Not the previous poster, but curious which teams are the "best NH teams today" in those age groups for girls. I'm sure that info could also help the OP.

Comment

Agree. Thank you for stating this as I was spitting out my coffee while reading it. I know 5 of those "studs" and let's just say... Some are not all that impressive.
                This is the problem with people think because you are on XYZ Club (SCSU, GPS, Stars, NEFC, Peak, whoever) you are somehow magically better just because of the jersey.

Take the leaders on those Stars teams' age groups mentioned - and this is a somewhat broad stroke because I do not know them all - but those I do know would be in the top quarter of, for example, SCSU or GPS's top teams.

Not saying that are bad players by any means. Quite the opposite. All good. Just not outrageously great which is the impression that gets put out there.

Comment

Agreed. A few are very good, others not so much.

Comment

This is the problem with people think because you are on XYZ Club (SCSU, GPS, Stars, NEFC, Peak, whoever) you are somehow magically better just because of the jersey.

Take the leaders on those Stars teams' age groups mentioned - and this is a somewhat broad stroke because I do not know them all - but those I do know would be in the top quarter of, for example, SCSU or GPS's top teams.

Not saying that are bad players by any means. Quite the opposite. All good. Just not outrageously great which is the impression that gets put out there.
                    None are really great?

Comment

None are really great?
                      Didn't say that. Actually, I was very careful:

1) "I don't know them all"

2) All are good players

Those I DO know. No, they are not really great that one would look at them on these teams and think "that's wasted talent playing on this team"

That comes from direct experience.

Comment

A few things... First, your thought about NEP with a stellar coach is valid, HOWEVER, when looking at options, look at the entire coaching staff for that club/region. Coaching assignments can and do change--particularly at the regional level, so I would make sure you are not making a decision based on one, specific coach.

Next, I would definitely contact Clubs and coaches during the spring and have your daughter join a practice or 2 at the clubs you are interested in.

All that being said, if your daughter really has a goal of playing higher-level college, she probably needs to be playing NPL at the very least. DA and ECNL offer far more opportunity with showcases, etc. Not to say it isn't possible for kids that don't play in those leagues, but your daughter (and you) will need to do much more leg work to get her seen.

Comment

Didn't say that. Actually, I was very careful:

1) "I don't know them all"

2) All are good players

Those I DO know. No, they are not really great that one would look at them on these teams and think "that's wasted talent playing on this team"

That comes from direct experience.
                          If the best players on those Stars teams are better than the best players on the teams that those NH girls left, then they are in a better situation now. Its always better for development when you practice with and against players that are better than you. Meaning, they are probably better off being in the middle 1/3 of a better team than the top 1/3 of a slightly weaker team. I assume that they were also interested in the exposure that comes with ECNL. And no, I don't have a NH kid playing at Stars.

Comment

If the best players on those Stars teams are better than the best players on the teams that those NH girls left, then they are in a better situation now. Its always better for development when you practice with and against players that are better than you. Meaning, they are probably better off being in the middle 1/3 of a better team than the top 1/3 of a slightly weaker team. I assume that they were also interested in the exposure that comes with ECNL. And no, I don't have a NH kid playing at Stars.
                            I don't feel they are better than all the kids here, for the most part (again, of the ones I know). They are in the top 1/3 of where they ended up, and would be in the top 1/4 here.

Comment

I don't feel they are better than all the kids here, for the most part (again, of the ones I know). They are in the top 1/3 of where they ended up, and would be in the top 1/4 here.
                              So overall, they are probably training with a slightly stronger team now...

they are likely going primarily for the ECNL exposure... It would also make a difference which of the 2 Stars ECNL teams they are on. In most cases, the East team is stronger than the West team. Both play in the same division and go to the same showcases and tournaments, though...

Comment

So overall, they are probably training with a slightly stronger team now...

they are likely going primarily for the ECNL exposure... It would also make a difference which of the 2 Stars ECNL teams they are on. In most cases, the East team is stronger than the West team. Both play in the same division and go to the same showcases and tournaments, though...

Yeah, heard about those two teams. Whole 'nother discussion on how that all came down.

I could see if you were on their top team it would be worth the increased quality. The Select, West, B, whatever marketing scheme they are calling it is not much different than here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X