Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College ID Camps

Some say they're simply a money making scheme.

Others say it's the best way to interact with, and make an impression on a coach.

There are college/university specific camps.

There are mega McCamps with dozens of NCAA coaches "involved."

What is a parent or player supposed to do?

I know, for my child, going to college in the North East is the most likely outcome. I struggling to understand why my child should travel across the country for a college showcase when going to college across the country is basically out of the question. Paying $3,000+ to play in Florida/Texas/California for a few days seems really out of whack when that same money could pay for 4-5 targeted ID camps.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Others say it's the best way to interact with, and make an impression on a coach.

I know, for my child, going to college in the North East is the most likely outcome. I struggling to understand why my child should travel across the country for a college showcase when going to college across the country is basically out of the question. Paying $3,000+ to play in Florida/Texas/California for a few days seems really out of whack when that same money could pay for 4-5 targeted ID camps.
    Many agree with you on the insanity part but much of that is out of our hands. Some would agree with you on the ID event part but not nearly as many. Problem is you still need to be on coach radars prior to attending an ID event. More often that comes from showcases. Coaches come watch you for 20 minutes and decide if they want a 2nd date. Sometimes this can be achieved with video and phone calls from high school or club coaches. But at many Id events they spilt to top players they really want from the rest. It's hard to stand out or even get much viewing if you're not in the top group. Overall the mega events aren't worth it. They seem efficient with so many schools there, but often they're attended by assistant coaches who aren't the decision makers. You need to get in front of the head coach. You can ask programs what events they attend and who will be attending.

Since he's focusing more locally try and get any local coach to watch league games. If it's convenient and they have some time they'll come watch or at least send an assistant. Note this would mostly only be in the spring. In the fall they're too busy with their teams.

Comment

Your logic is sound, however the counterpoint is that coaches like to see how players react in a full game, that has it's ups and downs. They want to see the reactions. They know the player can play. They look for fir and will watch their recruit play multiple times.

A big issue with ID camps is that they do pay attention more to players they are familiar with, and there is are usually a lot of glory hounds doing stupid crap which may or may not help your player. Usually they do break the groups down to squads which are led by a specific coach, but again, one bad apple can affect an entire group when they scrimmage. Plus, as opposed to showcases, your child needs to be on their game for that clinic/camp, especially the one day ones.

Comment

I'll add to the above that coaches also like to see the level your team is at, more so if it isn't in a "top" league or they aren't familiar with the club. One of my kids played with a smaller club and multiple coaches noted that it was a quality team. Of course they're there to watch you, but it can be a data point in your favor. Standing out in a sea of mediocrity doesn't tell them as much.

Comment

If an east coast kid flies out to the west coast for a camp will they perhaps get a better look than locals? Demonstrated interest?

Comment

If an east coast kid flies out to the west coast for a camp will they perhaps get a better look than locals? Demonstrated interest?
            No, because everyone attending is also interested. Coaches are looking for players that will help them win and keep their job. Demonstrating interest is used in admissions but won’t help you get a better look at an ID camp unless you were already one of their prospects.

Comment

Thanks for this new thread, BTNT. So timely and so needed. But again, why, why do you care? Who you mad at, bro???

Comment

Too funny, especially when in reality instead of your fiction machine, you sent one kid only marginally in the Northeast and took her to the Orange Bowl and I'm sure a ton of other showcases and ID camps. And then the other to the Deep South and who traveled all of the world (much less the entire country). Well, duplicity always was your thing. Dope.

Comment

Before you even plan a trip out West for an ID camp, you should definitely be in contact with the coach at the target school(s) and they should be showing genuine interest (asking for more video, more information, multiple phone calls, etc.). That’s true of any ID camp really, but you don’t want to be wasting time and money going West when there is no interest.

Also, look at the current roster and if you don’t see any East Cosst kids don’t be afraid to ask why. The truth is that coaches recruit from the same places they’ve had success before. They’ll go to the same clubs and showcases and if they are in their backyard all the better. The talent pool in places like California is so deep, most coaches there don’t even need to look out of state. They are also careful given that kids have a hard time adjusting to new places,,especially thousands of miles from family and friends. So if a coach says he’s interested, but can’t tell you the last time he actually recruited an East Coast player I would be careful.

Comment

Before you even plan a trip out West for an ID camp, you should definitely be in contact with the coach at the target school(s) and they should be showing genuine interest (asking for more video, more information, multiple phone calls, etc.). That’s true of any ID camp really, but you don’t want to be wasting time and money going West when there is no interest.

Also, look at the current roster and if you don’t see any East Cosst kids don’t be afraid to ask why. The truth is that coaches recruit from the same places they’ve had success before. They’ll go to the same clubs and showcases and if they are in their backyard all the better. The talent pool in places like California is so deep, most coaches there don’t even need to look out of state. They are also careful given that kids have a hard time adjusting to new places,,especially thousands of miles from family and friends. So if a coach says he’s interested, but can’t tell you the last time he actually recruited an East Coast player I would be careful.
                    Sage advice. Programs further afield don't have the same level of experience with clubs back east. A certain degree of trust builds up with clubs and coaches over time and they know which clubs turn out good players or not. But coaching is kind of a small world too. Have your DOC ask around at your club if anyone knows the coach at a college you're interested in. Chances are someone knows someone there, or a friend of a friend. Make sure to give it your best shot by establishing connections, sending video etc. You might not get anywhere. However I wouldn't say don't go to an ID event if it's a school you're really interested in. A dream school is a dream school. ultimately that matters the most. You'll need to look at the school at some point anyway. Give it your best shot so at least you know you did just that.

Comment

Sage advice. Programs further afield don't have the same level of experience with clubs back east. A certain degree of trust builds up with clubs and coaches over time and they know which clubs turn out good players or not. But coaching is kind of a small world too. Have your DOC ask around at your club if anyone knows the coach at a college you're interested in. Chances are someone knows someone there, or a friend of a friend. Make sure to give it your best shot by establishing connections, sending video etc. You might not get anywhere. However I wouldn't say don't go to an ID event if it's a school you're really interested in. A dream school is a dream school. ultimately that matters the most. You'll need to look at the school at some point anyway. Give it your best shot so at least you know you did just that.
                      If my child is in the top league here in MA how far away can we reasonably target geographically?

Comment

If my child is in the top league here in MA how far away can we reasonably target geographically?
                        Don't limit yourself geographically if you don't want to. Whatever the student athlete wants to look at. After all it's their life and a good academic fit is what matters first. Some kids don't want to stay close to home (two of mine didn't, and neither my spouse or myself did either. There's time to come back closer to home if they want later on. College is a time to explore.

With the soccer piece just make sure your do their homework - examine the resumes of rostered players, look at turnover, watch games on line. Send your resume and brief video with the offer to send more film. Follow up with a phone call and have your coach(es) reach out. If you can't seem to make a personal connection with them and/or only get a "thanks for your info, we have a camp" standard email, then they're probably not that interested. If they are genuinely interested they'll talk to you or at least your coach.

It is a more challenging process but can be done. it also costs more because of flights vs driving. If you're in ECNL and DA with national events that makes a big difference in getting exposure to schools outside of the east coast. Lower league players will have a much more difficult time of it.

Comment

Your presumptuousness is showing.

Comment

your post means nothing without more detail

Comment

How so? Do you mean a typical MA player won't crack a UCLA roster? Absolutely that's true. Big west coast schools require NT-type credentials and MA has few players that could be considered for that level. But the poster didn't specify West coast (Midwest, South?) or what level of play (top D1 vs lower or D2 or D3). As the saying goes, targeting well is what matters.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X