Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, first, there are no back-to-back games. Doesn't happen. Maybe you have a second game in 2-3 days. And, yes, most players will not play in both (except for defenders and goalies for the most part).

Sticking with your ManCity example (I see you use the term "Men", which indicates someone who has physically developed...)

Days between games since the start of December:

3, 4, 4*, 3, 3*, 4, 4, 4. 4, 3*, 3, 3*, 5*, 6, 3* (* designates non-league games where squads are rotated). Yes, big clubs have large rosters for this reason. It's also why some clubs can't compete through this time period and have to give one up for the other.

Now, let's look at another club, BHA, who won't compete in UCL and won't be long in either domestic cups from the start of the season to today:

8, 8, 6, 3*, 3, 16, 5, 7, 7, 15, 7, 7, 7, 14, 8, 3, 5, 8, 6, 4, 3, 5, 3*, 7, 7. (* Note, while these are domestic cups, BHA won't have the squad depth of a City so you will see more players playing games in a tighter window)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28060035

"Competitive soccer matches result in substantial declines in neuromuscular function, physical performance, and subjective measures of fatigue. These impairments may last up to 72 hours post-match and should be considered when devising training schedules".

So, can they? Sure. Will there be a guarantee of problems? Of course not. But, like it or not (and I'm not a part of them), DA follows a scientific approach to playing and the effects on kids.

I get kids will play and have fun and have been doing it for decades without problems they are aware of. But, doesn't mean scientific advances shouldn't be adhered to.
    What happens when DA clubs train on M, Tu, W, Th when there are heavy doses of small games and scrimmaging? No muscle fatigue there? Now factor in a game on the weekend? One of those training days a film day and another a light workout? Not at my kid's former DA club. They talk a good game, but it is almost always all-out, all of the time. All I am saying is that once every two week would be nice to have another game .... why can't it be a friendly on a thursday or friday night against another solid local club? Same for weekends when they didn't have a league game ... they would just get together on saturday and mostly scrimmage .... I think better use of that time would be to set up a game.

Comment

What happens when DA clubs train on M, Tu, W, Th when there are heavy doses of small games and scrimmaging? No muscle fatigue there? Now factor in a game on the weekend? One of those training days a film day and another a light workout? Not at my kid's former DA club. They talk a good game, but it is almost always all-out, all of the time. All I am saying is that once every two week would be nice to have another game .... why can't it be a friendly on a thursday or friday night against another solid local club? Same for weekends when they didn't have a league game ... they would just get together on saturday and mostly scrimmage .... I think better use of that time would be to set up a game.
      Muscle differentiation.

Scrimmage, some drills, video, fitness, etc.

But, you have switched it up now. I'd be all for an occasional scrimmage or the like, but back to back competitive games is discouraged. It's not done for a reason.

Comment

Muscle differentiation.

Scrimmage, some drills, video, fitness, etc.

But, you have switched it up now. I'd be all for an occasional scrimmage or the like, but back to back competitive games is discouraged. It's not done for a reason.
        You introduced back to back games .... I didn't even know what you meant originally (as in consecutive days). I originally said 2 games in a week. It's quite doable if DAP didn't have so many restrictions on play.

Comment

You introduced back to back games .... I didn't even know what you meant originally (as in consecutive days). I originally said 2 games in a week. It's quite doable if DAP didn't have so many restrictions on play.
          Its not at all doable when teams are far apart, requiring weekend-only games

Comment

Its not at all doable when teams are far apart, requiring weekend-only games
            Only far apart because DA doesn't allow competition against non-DA teams. Plenty of competition around Boston even if you have to play up. Funnier still is I could see losses for the big bad DA teams if non-DA friendlies we're allowed ..... Wouldn't that be a little egg on their face that they can't allow to happen?

Comment

Only far apart because DA doesn't allow competition against non-DA teams. Plenty of competition around Boston even if you have to play up. Funnier still is I could see losses for the big bad DA teams if non-DA friendlies we're allowed ..... Wouldn't that be a little egg on their face that they can't allow to happen?
              Actually, no. If ECNL Mafia would've opened it up for more local competition, girls DA wouldn't even exist and you'd have plenty of travel concentrated within an easy drive.

Comment

The 3/2 model has games played on Saturdays & Sundays; maybe I made the jump but not sure how else you'd get two (or three as mentioned) within a week otherwise.

Comment

Actually, no. If ECNL Mafia would've opened it up for more local competition, girls DA wouldn't even exist and you'd have plenty of travel concentrated within an easy drive.
                  lol GDA teams fret they'd lost to local teams with less restrictions revealing the farse that many GDA clubs are. They have no interest or incentive to play ECNL or other teams. In addition, there isn't a ton of room in ECNL or GDA schedules to fit in extra games. A few maybe but that's it.

Comment

The 3/2 model has games played on Saturdays & Sundays; maybe I made the jump but not sure how else you'd get two (or three as mentioned) within a week otherwise.
                    Just pull your kid out of school midweek to drive to NYC for a game. No problem right?

Comment

lol GDA teams fret they'd lost to local teams with less restrictions revealing the farse that many GDA clubs are. They have no interest or incentive to play ECNL or other teams. In addition, there isn't a ton of room in ECNL or GDA schedules to fit in extra games. A few maybe but that's it.
                      lol pay attention. I'm saying there was/is no reason for girls to have DA. I suspect even the clubs know that, and from my understanding have even said so. They tried to get into ECNL, but the mafia wouldn't let them. So, they needed to find another avenue to provide better competition than what they had.

So, now, I suspect neither league would want to lose to the other. Pride is such a wonderful thing.

I agree there is no room as currently constructed.

Comment

Idiotic take. Short term wins and losses have nothing to do with training better. The US soccer culture is obsessed with drawing long term conclusions from single games. There is no room for development in these leagues because too many games are played and thats exactly what the parents want.

You cant brag about development unless it actually works and your kid turns it into something meaningful.

Its a big part of the HS thing. most of these kids will get more ink in HS than any time in their lives so parents dont want to risk that.

Comment

Flip it around...ECNL would view the sky as falling if they lost to a GDA team.

Reality is nobody should worry about a loss. Being in a competitive game and continued development should be the only think anyone should be considering.

Comment

Idiotic take. Short term wins and losses have nothing to do with training better. The US soccer culture is obsessed with drawing long term conclusions from single games. There is no room for development in these leagues because too many games are played and thats exactly what the parents want.

You cant brag about development unless it actually works and your kid turns it into something meaningful.

Its a big part of the HS thing. most of these kids will get more ink in HS than any time in their lives so parents dont want to risk that.
                            Sick of hearing wins don't matter and its all about development .... copouts! Good teams win far more games than they lose, no matter who their opponent is. Losing does not equate 1 to 1 with developing! Whatever happened to the mantras, "we'll take on all comers", "any day, any time", "you pick the place", "every day, all day, and twice on sundays", "I'd kick your @$$ blind-folded"??? Instead, today's teams/cleagues/clubs shirk and hide behind rules to prevent people from seeing the farces that our kids have become associated with (and at what a cost). It's no wonder that soccer is a girls sport here in the USA. There are plenty of local teams (let alone if you draw the line to a 2-hour drive) that could play each other throughout the year without having to travel to VA or OH.

Comment

Flip it around...ECNL would view the sky as falling if they lost to a GDA team.

Reality is nobody should worry about a loss. Being in a competitive game and continued development should be the only think anyone should be considering.
                              That doesn't keep the checks coming in the door. It's the clubs making these decisions, not the parents, because they're the ones taking the risks.

Comment

Except the development academy has Already put "open weekends" in place for 2018-19 season: . "Additionally, by creating open weekends, clubs are able to organize supplemental games to meet their needs. Every club has different needs, so by creating open dates in the schedule Clubs can play friendlies or tournaments, nationally and/or internationally." Although the written announcement was for boys April Heinrichs had already announced this for the girls side prior to the Boys side announcement.

If the clubs do not want to schedule outside competition it is not a USSF DA fault. Additionally I suspect the reluctance to schedule outside opponents existsfor CLUBS in both DA and ECNL.On the ECNL side once again it is Clubs that are reluctant and not a mandate from ECNL that prevents this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X