Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth year /school year relative age effect

We was told from the onset it was being forced out to try and fix the age relative age effect ..... well I just checked a well known clubs online DA squad (u12) , 90% of all the first team players were born in the first 4 months of the year . Out of squads of 25 only 3 were born in the last quarter of the year ! How could US soccer be so dumb ? They didn’t fix any age relative effects they just moved the goalposts ! Now the kids born in the last quarter of the year are not only the youngest but are a whole grade younger then most of the kids they play against !! You honestly couldn’t make up the stupidly within US soccer . This is why we will always be **** on the world stage when we have donkeys making major decisions .

Us soccer was nearly the last to change this. The rest of the world has been going by birth year for a long time. Whether you by school calendar or go by birth year there will always be a certain group that seems to get screwed by it. By u15 or 15 you dont even notice it much. Look at how many kids are playing up a year in Da. Quite a few from 05 and older.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We was told from the onset it was being forced out to try and fix the age relative age effect ..... well I just checked a well known clubs online DA squad (u12) , 90% of all the first team players were born in the first 4 months of the year . Out of squads of 25 only 3 were born in the last quarter of the year ! How could US soccer be so dumb ? They didn’t fix any age relative effects they just moved the goalposts ! Now the kids born in the last quarter of the year are not only the youngest but are a whole grade younger then most of the kids they play against !! You honestly couldn’t make up the stupidly within US soccer . This is why we will always be **** on the world stage when we have donkeys making major decisions .
      So your kid got cut? Don't blame the relative age effect.
      Relax crazy dad. U12 parents are the usually the craziest
      because they think their little Mia or Messi are next thing.
      I have seen boys who are a foot+ shorter than
      other boys, but you can see the skills and IQ.
      You are probably used to kick it forward and run, run, run
      and score. If you think about it, the 3rd and 4th quarter
      boys are probably really good.

For girls, it's about 15 when you see what you get.
      For boys, it can be 16+, but you can see the skills and
      speed very early on.

Comment

Us soccer was nearly the last to change this. The rest of the world has been going by birth year for a long time. Whether you by school calendar or go by birth year there will always be a certain group that seems to get screwed by it. By u15 or 15 you dont even notice it much. Look at how many kids are playing up a year in Da. Quite a few from 05 and older.
        Elite pathways like US Training Centers, DA & GDA, ODP, etc have always been birth year here since national teams are birth year.

The switch to birth year for all other girls here was monumentally dumb. 99.9% of our girls end goal is college ball. US colleges recruit by grad year and couldn’t care less about birth year. It’s royally messed up not only recruiting but also the 8th-9th grade years and also the 11th-12th grade years. Youth soccer participation is down 15% since the change. Lacrosse realized this, went graduation year age groups and is the fastest growing sport in the country. No other country has the hugely popular high school and college sports pipeline that we have so it’s stupid to try to copy the rest of the world on this.

Comment

I don't like the age change for a different reason.

How many boy's will play in international competition where birth year matters?

The top boys are playing up anyways so not sure if it matters for the top 1%.

In the US, most prefer to play by grade rather than birth year. I am not sure why the previous cutoff was Aug 1st. That made no sense. I would have moved it to Sep. 1. That is the cutoff for most schools.

I am also okay with doing it by grade for everyone, but DA. Those older teams are combined by 2 years anyways and none of those players are playing HS soccer. Just like the old days where club was more or less by grade and ODP was by birth year. You don't have to blow up all of youth soccer to accommodate the 1% who want to play international soccer. It really does have nothing to do with the age effect moving from August to January. Now the Oct, Nov, and Dec birth years are the youngest vs. the oldest. What is the point?

Comment

Who told you that ? US soccer ? Every other country In The world follows school
            Year ! Do some research . The difference is some of the school years in countries start .... drum roll please ... in January .

Comment

So your kid got cut? Don't blame the relative age effect.
              Relax crazy dad. U12 parents are the usually the craziest
              because they think their little Mia or Messi are next thing.
              I have seen boys who are a foot+ shorter than
              other boys, but you can see the skills and IQ.
              You are probably used to kick it forward and run, run, run
              and score. If you think about it, the 3rd and 4th quarter
              boys are probably really good.

For girls, it's about 15 when you see what you get.
              For boys, it can be 16+, but you can see the skills and
              speed very early on.
              No I’m not a crazy dad , I’m a crazy coach who has seen first hand how it has affected the kids who are a grade down . You may think you are being smart but basically we have lost a whole group of kids from that age . It’s not like the kids that are born in the summer have got any better as they are still mentally young from a school stand point . Who has the advantage ? For the first quarter kids by a wide margin ! Whoever said that the rest of the world changed that’s absolutely not the case ! The only standard that follows this practise is the national teams , clubs teams still follow the school year as they understandably know that it makes zero sense to spilt school friends up .

Comment

I don't like the age change for a different reason.

How many boy's will play in international competition where birth year matters?

The top boys are playing up anyways so not sure if it matters for the top 1%.

In the US, most prefer to play by grade rather than birth year. I am not sure why the previous cutoff was Aug 1st. That made no sense. I would have moved it to Sep. 1. That is the cutoff for most schools.

I am also okay with doing it by grade for everyone, but DA. Those older teams are combined by 2 years anyways and none of those players are playing HS soccer. Just like the old days where club was more or less by grade and ODP was by birth year. You don't have to blow up all of youth soccer to accommodate the 1% who want to play international soccer. It really does have nothing to do with the age effect moving from August to January. Now the Oct, Nov, and Dec birth years are the youngest vs. the oldest. What is the point?
                The biggest issue I see is let’s say Jonny is in elementary school while all the players he has been put on the same team as are already in middle school . Obviously there will be a gap in maturity right ? The same can happen when going from middle school to high school . It’s very obvious .

Comment

The biggest issue I see is let’s say Jonny is in elementary school while all the players he has been put on the same team as are already in middle school . Obviously there will be a gap in maturity right ? The same can happen when going from middle school to high school . It’s very obvious .
                  That was actually my point. Kids should play at grade level.

The other issue is between middle school and high school where half of the team are playing HS soccer and the other half are in 8th grade.

Comment

Elite pathways like US Training Centers, DA & GDA, ODP, etc have always been birth year here since national teams are birth year.

The switch to birth year for all other girls here was monumentally dumb. 99.9% of our girls end goal is college ball. US colleges recruit by grad year and couldn’t care less about birth year. It’s royally messed up not only recruiting but also the 8th-9th grade years and also the 11th-12th grade years. Youth soccer participation is down 15% since the change. Lacrosse realized this, went graduation year age groups and is the fastest growing sport in the country. No other country has the hugely popular high school and college sports pipeline that we have so it’s stupid to try to copy the rest of the world on this.
                    100% correct . Baseball tried to do the same thing a number of years back and had to reverse that decision as the drop off was massive ! They have never really recovered ! I just don’t see why it was done? The dumbest explanation has to be that it fixes the relative age issue ..... if they were really serious about fixing it they could just split the ages into two . Sept/feb March/August . Only if they were serious of course . Question has the junior teams got any better since the change ? From my very limited research it looks to me like they are struggling badly especially on the boys teams .

Comment

Youth soccer participation is down 15% and will continue a downward death spiral unless they switch to school grade soon. At least there is a rumor that ECNL will be doing this for 2019-20 season. Leave the elite pathway teams birth year but 99% of players are much better off playing by grade. Sports in the US are tied to high school and college. College recruitment is by grade! Socially & developmentally, kids like to play with their grade peers. The unicorns will stand out regardless, so the change to birth year for the 99% was hugely dumb. ECNL, show us the way!

Comment

Youth soccer participation is down 15% and will continue a downward death spiral unless they switch to school grade soon. At least there is a rumor that ECNL will be doing this for 2019-20 season. Leave the elite pathway teams birth year but 99% of players are much better off playing by grade. Sports in the US are tied to high school and college. College recruitment is by grade! Socially & developmentally, kids like to play with their grade peers. The unicorns will stand out regardless, so the change to birth year for the 99% was hugely dumb. ECNL, show us the way!
                        The unicorns will play up so it does not matter.

The 13 year old that everyone is talking about is playing U17, so what was the point in making everyone else go to birth year. So stupid by US soccer.

Lets get back to grade year for soccer like every other sport in our country.

Comment

The unicorns will play up so it does not matter.

The 13 year old that everyone is talking about is playing U17, so what was the point in making everyone else go to birth year. So stupid by US soccer.

Lets get back to grade year for soccer like every other sport in our country.
                          This! There are always opportunities for the 1% player to play up and be challenged. What the stupid birth year switch has done is harm the other 99% of kids. And it's not just kids getting upset about not being able to play with classmates. It's about fall birthday kids having no 8th grade fall team and no team their senior year of HS. It's about clubs having to reshuffle rosters every year just to field teams.

The argument that the "goalposts have shifted" by changing from school year to birth year is hogwash. In the school year model, summer birthday kids had the option to play up with their grade if they were talented and needed the challenge, or play "down" with the younger grade if they weren't. Either way, those few kids didn't have to endure one season without a team, let alone two seasons. No one got left without a team in the school year model, but it is happening all the time now, and the consequence is that kids are quitting. USYS took a youth sport that was one of the fastest growing in the nation, and are running it into the ground. Well done, idiots.

Comment

This! There are always opportunities for the 1% player to play up and be challenged. What the stupid birth year switch has done is harm the other 99% of kids. And it's not just kids getting upset about not being able to play with classmates. It's about fall birthday kids having no 8th grade fall team and no team their senior year of HS. It's about clubs having to reshuffle rosters every year just to field teams.

The argument that the "goalposts have shifted" by changing from school year to birth year is hogwash. In the school year model, summer birthday kids had the option to play up with their grade if they were talented and needed the challenge, or play "down" with the younger grade if they weren't. Either way, those few kids didn't have to endure one season without a team, let alone two seasons. No one got left without a team in the school year model, but it is happening all the time now, and the consequence is that kids are quitting. USYS took a youth sport that was one of the fastest growing in the nation, and are running it into the ground. Well done, idiots.
                            Exactly.

Kids with August birth dates did get kind of left without a team in the old age group model. I would have changed to school year which is to move to September rather than to January.

Kids mature physically at different time periods so I am not sure the point in shifting the calendar for biological equality. Kids seem to be more on par on the mental maturity with their grade group. There is a big difference between 8th graders and 9th graders. There is a big difference between 11th and 12th graders.

All of our other sports are by grades. Girls are wired a lot differently than boys. They want to play with their friends. Why do you think girls DA is dying? They are choosing HS soccer over GDA.

Comment

The weirdest part of it all is US soccer is insisting the rest of the world follows this mandate . I can assure you in Europe’s no one follows it . I asked a friend of mine who coaches in the uk If they had gone to birth year he just laughed and said no way ! So then I checked every FA and without fail not one of them followed it at grass roots level . Every single country followed the school year (which makes perfect sense )

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X