Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Recruiting Rules - Are Coaches Abiding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The early recruit numbers might not be accurate but accurate enough to validate early recruiting is slowing down and coaches are waiting until junior year to seriously evaluate most players. Youngest might be added to their prospecting list but actual recruiting for most players is happening junior year. Will be even more so if new contact rules go into effect.
    If players and schools don't want it public before September 1 junior year then the # of reported commits is going to plummet for freshmen and sophomores moving forward. In other words there's no good way to track it other than anecdotally. And think about the September 1 thing. If you report you're committed close to that date, that means you have been talking to coaches well before that. Currently you can with the loopholes. But if the new rules get approved it should slow down the actual timeline for most players. Coaches want this. They don't enjoy the risks of giving 14-15 year olds offers.

Comment

Commitments from TDS:

Class of 2019 = 1739
      Class of 2020 = 659
      Class of 2021 = 181
      Class of 2022 = 22

Safe to assume the 2019s are nearly done recruiting and there are plenty of spots left for the 2020s. At the recent GDA and ECNL tournament in Florida there were more coaches on the sidelines for the 2020s then there were for the 2021s. Given the new contact rules, most coaches are actively recruiting 2020s and the 2021s, not so much.
      Not true. Many dong report to TDS and many aren’t paid members. The list jumps significantly once the NLIs are signed and TDS finds out in various ways and publishes lists for seniors. I know my daughter is a 2020 and her college’s recruitment class is closed with 8 right now.

Comment

Not true. Many dong report to TDS and many aren’t paid members. The list jumps significantly once the NLIs are signed and TDS finds out in various ways and publishes lists for seniors. I know my daughter is a 2020 and her college’s recruitment class is closed with 8 right now.
        +1 on this. 2020s at any school respected by TS is locked and loaded.
        There will be am anomaly or two by spring.

Comment

+1 on this. 2020s at any school respected by TS is locked and loaded.
          There will be am anomaly or two by spring.
          Which is precisely why they are making new rules to try to close the loop holes. Many of those 8 won’t work out well because the university committed too early. Junior year is better to get a much better idea how they will turn out as players and students. Start watching beginning of junior year and commit by end of junior or beginning of senior year

Comment

I’m confused by all the changes over the last year. There has been discussion that in April the NCAA were going to eliminate back channels through club coaches and make a zero communication change between players and coaches until Sept 1.

On the NCAA site, looks like they are proposing June 15 after Sophomore year to start communicating, and Aug 1 for visits. I’ve not heard this discussed before. So is June 15 the day 2021s coaches will call players directly?

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ting-proposals

Comment

I’m confused by all the changes over the last year. There has been discussion that in April the NCAA were going to eliminate back channels through club coaches and make a zero communication change between players and coaches until Sept 1.

On the NCAA site, looks like they are proposing June 15 after Sophomore year to start communicating, and Aug 1 for visits. I’ve not heard this discussed before. So is June 15 the day 2021s coaches will call players directly?

I hadn't heard that either but Aug 1 is a good move - get some visits in before school starts for recruits and coaches. But who knows what the final vote will look like

Comment

If this passes, won’t it actually move the timeline earlier? Bumping it up to June 15 from Set 1st?

Comment

If this passes, won’t it actually move the timeline earlier? Bumping it up to June 15 from Set 1st?
                  Yes but not by that much. I think they want June because kids do on campus ID events in the summer, which is allowed but coaches can't talk to them about "recruiting" at the event then have to wait until September. What's the point of that? One, it's not really enforceable. Two, more efficient if they can talk at the event or just after it to see if there will be another date.

Comment

Yes but not by that much. I think they want June because kids do on campus ID events in the summer, which is allowed but coaches can't talk to them about "recruiting" at the event then have to wait until September. What's the point of that? One, it's not really enforceable. Two, more efficient if they can talk at the event or just after it to see if there will be another date.
                    Makes sense. And if they eliminate club coach contact before that date as well, it will close that loophole and discourage recruiting of 8th and 9th graders. When do they vote on this?

Comment

April

Comment

April
                        Look forward to seeing this pass. Seems like good changes for everyone on both sides.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X