Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What best other sport

If your child's main sport is soccer, what would you say is another good sport for them to play that would compliment soccer. I have had suggestions from lacrosse to BMX riding( had a coach say it coaxes independent decision making??)...

I was thinking basketball, alot of endurance, change direction.. what y'all think?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If your child's main sport is soccer, what would you say is another good sport for them to play that would compliment soccer. I have had suggestions from lacrosse to BMX riding( had a coach say it coaxes independent decision making??)...

I was thinking basketball, alot of endurance, change direction.. what y'all think?
    Track. Hands down.

Comment

Basketball works well with soccer because the seasons don't really overlap. However, both are physically demanding on the body and young bodies need rest from time to time. That said, basketball is great for GKs.

Anyway, your kid should play other sports the ENJOY, not because they compliment soccer. If he or she is still young chances are they won't even be playing soccer by high school. So chillax dad. Let your kid gravitate the sports that call to them.

Comment

Track. Hands down.
        Winter track obviously.

Comment

A sport he or she will play enthusiastically. A sport with his or her friends.

Comment

Futsal.

Comment

If your kid is a goalkeeper, I'd go with basketball.

Otherwise I'd go with LAX. It's soccer with sticks.

Comment

Anyway, your kid should play other sports the ENJOY, not because they compliment soccer. If he or she is still young chances are they won't even be playing soccer by high school. So chillax dad. Let your kid gravitate the sports that call to them.
                ^ this

Comment

Track would be the most benefit. Watch a game of kids play, and you see most of them getting tired and once they're tired, they don't play properly. they're too tired to get into passing lanes, move into proper positions, track back, fight for loose balls, or have any energy left to burst down a wing.

Run track for 3 months and an 80 minute soccer game is nothing. My son ran 15-20 miles a week with a team and it changed his game forever.

Comment

Track would be the most benefit. Watch a game of kids play, and you see most of them getting tired and once they're tired, they don't play properly. they're too tired to get into passing lanes, move into proper positions, track back, fight for loose balls, or have any energy left to burst down a wing.

Run track for 3 months and an 80 minute soccer game is nothing. My son ran 15-20 miles a week with a team and it changed his game forever.
                    Track means Track & Field ?

Comment

Strongly agree with all the track answers. X-Country, if you can train off-season is even better.

In the Spring, a soccer player that runs the 1600 or 3200 regularly will be sprinting down the sidelines in the 2nd half of games when their opponents will be sucking wind!

Comment

Strongly agree with all the track answers. X-Country, if you can train off-season is even better.

In the Spring, a soccer player that runs the 1600 or 3200 regularly will be sprinting down the sidelines in the 2nd half of games when their opponents will be sucking wind!
                        is there any good place for track team in LI ?

Comment

is there any good place for track team in LI ?
                          You don't need an organized costly "team" to become a better runner or sprinter. Track as a competitive sport doesn't become a "thing" until middle school at the earliest and really in high school. It's one of the few sports where a kid can get noticed without having to belong is some costly club. There are clubs of course - someone will always take your money - but if you just want your kid to improve their endurance and speed, put some shoes on em and run em. Plenty of online resources also.

Comment

You don't need an organized costly "team" to become a better runner or sprinter. Track as a competitive sport doesn't become a "thing" until middle school at the earliest and really in high school. It's one of the few sports where a kid can get noticed without having to belong is some costly club. There are clubs of course - someone will always take your money - but if you just want your kid to improve their endurance and speed, put some shoes on em and run em. Plenty of online resources also.
                            There are cheap track clubs on long island for younger kids. For example, St Joseph's CYO of Ronkonkoma has well over 200 kids in their track program and it costs almost nothing to join.

Comment

Dance is good to improve balance, footwork and foot speed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X