Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. Be gentle.

I'm new to the area and have an 09 who likes soccer and wants to play competitively. He had been out to train with one team that played in the OYSA fall league in the second tier. That was fun but probably not the best fit.

So, can someone tell me which are the teams that did well (or, more importantly, train well) in the top division? No judgement and we're not chasing trophies here, just want a fun and challenging environment for the boy.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Where do you live in the city as this will determine suggestion.

You shouldn’t be driving across town for an 09

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Where do you live in the city as this will determine suggestion.

You shouldn’t be driving across town for an 09
        Not an issue. We had a somewhat long commute in our previous situation. Time in the car is time with the kid, and it's worth it if he's going to enjoy himself.

Comment

Not an issue. We had a somewhat long commute in our previous situation. Time in the car is time with the kid, and it's worth it if he's going to enjoy himself.
          Really depends on what you want for your sons soccer experience, but here goes.

The upper echelon teams in competitive youth soccer as these boys age are the Timbers and their feeder clubs (Bend, Capital, Eugene, Westside, Washington), FC Portland, Crossfire and their feeder clubs (Lake Oswego, Southside, Willamette United), and United PDX / NEU. There are a host of other clubs as well that play OYSA such as ADF, PCU, Southeast SC, LYS and numerous predominantly Hispanic clubs.

I know people will share other opinions, but at this age group the best teams I’ve seen in the summer tourneys (based on posted results) and fall leagues (based on watching) are Lake Oswego, Westside, and Washington Timbers. Obviously the practice locations for these teams range from Lake Oswego, to Beaverton, to Vancouver.

Comment

I’ll say this once and I’ll Say it against. It’s not about club it’s about the coach. Clubs can have good and bad coaches .

I don’t care if my kid wins or loses, I care that I can trust the coach is preparing him for soccer and helping with life lessons too.

Talk to all the coaches and get a feel for them. You can tell who’s selling and who wants to coach.

Comment

I’ll say this once and I’ll Say it against. It’s not about club it’s about the coach. Clubs can have good and bad coaches .

I don’t care if my kid wins or loses, I care that I can trust the coach is preparing him for soccer and helping with life lessons too.

Talk to all the coaches and get a feel for them. You can tell who’s selling and who wants to coach.
              OP here This is closer to where our head is at. To that end, was hoping for a tip to narrow down teams (if only to narrow down how many sessions to take him to).

So, any info on good sides (not necessarily results, but in quality) would be appreciated.

Comment

OP here This is closer to where our head is at. To that end, was hoping for a tip to narrow down teams (if only to narrow down how many sessions to take him to).

So, any info on good sides (not necessarily results, but in quality) would be appreciated.
                It frustrates me to no end to see parents only care about winning and crap. It’s truly what’s wrong with us soccer imho.

My kid isn’t an 09 so I can’t help just wanted to preach my opinion hoping it may resonate

Comment

Hi everyone. Be gentle.

I'm new to the area and have an 09 who likes soccer and wants to play competitively. He had been out to train with one team that played in the OYSA fall league in the second tier. That was fun but probably not the best fit.

So, can someone tell me which are the teams that did well (or, more importantly, train well) in the top division? No judgement and we're not chasing trophies here, just want a fun and challenging environment for the boy.

Thanks in advance!
                  In my opinion, the place to start: Look at the top performing teams from summer tournaments, and in the premier division OYSA (if that is the level you are looking for). Email the coaches from each team and ask if your kid can come out and try out a training. That is going to be the best way to determine if you like the training style/intensity and the coach. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on what is considered "good" or "high level" training. Best way to figure it out is to go out and see for yourself. While your kid is on the field you can talk with other parents and get a feel for the team environment.

Comment

And look- MJ was good to his word and got those little girls all the way to Nationals in Texas this year. Your fun fact is cute.. it was his younger son’s team. Got any more stupid dish?
                    I’m talking about the Newberg team you ditched when they didn’t win it all in PDP like you wanted. How’s that for “stupid dish” eh MJ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X