Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OP, I don’t have a kid at GPS, so Ive got no inside facts to tell you but I do know what I stated is true, haters have been on here for the last 3 years predicting how MJ won’t last another few months, I find it funny.

I do, however know several families who have kids at the club and here is my take.
    downside- new club, unstable, no permanent field, long drive to practices at changing fields, constant disrespect by threatened Oregon soccer old guard

Up- high touch (I’ve seen MJ out to watch his players HS games, tell me if your club coach has done this), more practice and field time than most clubs, attempt to bring in high level coaching from outside the area, every kid that I know that plays there is very skilled (to the best of their ability). Opportunity to join national GPS teams at high level events with travel.
    Some color on the "hate" (by the way ML is old guard - he has been around a long time):
    MJ left clubs in Utah and Oregon under clouds and sometimes damaged clubs' finances and reputation before or when leaving. There are coaches/directors who leave clubs and don't do that. There are also parents on this forum who have left jobs without doing damage to their former employers before or after leaving.

They recruit heavily with pre-canned GPS materials. Use to have an issue with that, don't anymore (ECNL, DA have changed traditional clubs approach to recruiting), but certainly was something different for traditional neighborhood clubs to deal with. In this sense you are correct; old guard felt threatened; for better or worse they need to get with the modern game or become a dinosaur.

Their players are technical, but boy do many of their teams play ineffective soccer. There seems to be something missing as to "when" to do some of those moves and what to do afterwards. Not going to get into tactical specifics, but I actually think some of their teams play out of the back very ineffectively. Have heard our DOC (yes part of the old guard) critique that they only seem to focus on 1 or 2 attributes of players and are not developing well-rounded players; watching some of their teams play I think he is right, unless that is what comes next in their development. Wish my kid had as pretty a pullback as some of their players though.

The irony for clubs like GPS and ADF is that the advantage they have when only a team or 2 - super focused, lots of attention from the main guy - gets really, really difficult the larger you get. If you are successful in getting teams, boom, you have a much harder time in maintaining quality (can't coach all of the teams, have to manage and develop other coaches, much less find fields) and pretty soon you are working through the same muck as larger clubs, but without the infrastructure to do it.

When GPS came into Oregon, really didn't like them; now don't care if they stay or go, but I actually think the "stress" they create in traditional clubs can be a good thing and they are a good outlet for people who feel underserved in bigger clubs (and sometimes the bigger clubs deserve to lose those families). Keeps the traditional clubs on their toes and maybe helps groups of parents figure out what they really want the sport: whether they end up trying a GPS/ADF or stay in a traditional club and try to make it better.

As for the stuff out of the past - should there be a statute of limitations on how long that stuff hangs over someone? Maybe. Maybe the stuff in Utah, THUSC, and BSC is all irrelevant now and maybe the guy is just fundamentally an entrepreneur that should work in small setting not big clubs; just doesn't make it "untrue".

Comment

It seems pretty obvious GPS uses this site to solicit and advertise. Wish they would stop cause it is annoying.

Comment

Jealous haters are the majority of posters on TS. If you’re being bashed on TS, it means you’re doing something right. DA, ECNL, GPS, Salmon Creek, ***c02, Westside, individual players too. Take it as a compliment and pay it no mind.
        This. Why can’t we all do what is good for our own kids and be happy for all the Oregon kids regardless of team or league? They are all just kids trying to enjoy playing a game. Bitter adults are the ones ruining soccer in Oregon.

Comment

Some color on the "hate" (by the way ML is old guard - he has been around a long time):
          MJ left clubs in Utah and Oregon under clouds and sometimes damaged clubs' finances and reputation before or when leaving. There are coaches/directors who leave clubs and don't do that. There are also parents on this forum who have left jobs without doing damage to their former employers before or after leaving.

As for the stuff out of the past - should there be a statute of limitations on how long that stuff hangs over someone? Maybe. Maybe the stuff in Utah, THUSC, and BSC is all irrelevant now and maybe the guy is just fundamentally an entrepreneur that should work in small setting not big clubs; just doesn't make it "untrue".
          You say he left multiple clubs in financial disarray and with bad reputations. How? What did he do? Looks like he goes from state to state. Utah, California, Oregon.

Why a statute of limitations on poor behavior? Aren’t coaches role models for our kids? Or is it ok if they just win?

If he applied for a job at your company with this reputation, you wouldn’t hire him. But you hire him to help mold your children?

Comment

You say he left multiple clubs in financial disarray and with bad reputations. How? What did he do? Looks like he goes from state to state. Utah, California, Oregon.

Why a statute of limitations on poor behavior? Aren’t coaches role models for our kids? Or is it ok if they just win?

If he applied for a job at your company with this reputation, you wouldn’t hire him. But you hire him to help mold your children?
            Say statute of limitation because I think people deserve 2nd chances. At some point whatever happened years ago doesn't really matter today, unless there is some continuation of a pattern.

I would not hire him at my company; less to do with ethical concerns, just seems he struggles in a larger organizational environment. So no doesn't really have anything to do as to whether I would place my kid with him.

Having said that, there are other environments that develop better rounded players, have infrastructure in place, and have enough players to field players at age (GPS Oregon struggles with this and often has to have players play up not because they should but because they need the players to have a complete team). I also don't think they have demonstrated they can do this thing at scale. Finally, tend to be one that works towards improving existing club rather than chasing the next thing (there are social and community benefits beyond soccer skill acquisition that come from that mentality); different parents are oriented differently, so not judging people who do chase that, even if not the choice we make.

Comment

Say statute of limitation because I think people deserve 2nd chances. At some point whatever happened years ago doesn't really matter today, unless there is some continuation of a pattern.

I would not hire him at my company; less to do with ethical concerns, just seems he struggles in a larger organizational environment. So no doesn't really have anything to do as to whether I would place my kid with him.

Having said that, there are other environments that develop better rounded players, have infrastructure in place, and have enough players to field players at age (GPS Oregon struggles with this and often has to have players play up not because they should but because they need the players to have a complete team). I also don't think they have demonstrated they can do this thing at scale. Finally, tend to be one that works towards improving existing club rather than chasing the next thing (there are social and community benefits beyond soccer skill acquisition that come from that mentality); different parents are oriented differently, so not judging people who do chase that, even if not the choice we make.
              My dd plays for gps and we love MJ! To each his or her own! Spread love not hate!

Comment

This. Why can’t we all do what is good for our own kids and be happy for all the Oregon kids regardless of team or league? They are all just kids trying to enjoy playing a game. Bitter adults are the ones ruining soccer in Oregon.
                Here here. Spread love, not hate!

Comment

My daughter plays for GPS as well and we love her coach and have seen her skills and play improve since joining. The style of play is not for everyone, but for my kid it has been great.

Comment

My daughter plays for GPS as well and we love her coach and have seen her skills and play improve since joining. The style of play is not for everyone, but for my kid it has been great.
                    Better start looking for place to land. GPS is running out of fuel.

Comment

Any idea on how soon they will run out of fuel? Hoping they make it thru Spring season.

Comment

You, or someone like you, has been saying this for 4 years now. Why so angry?

Comment

You, or someone like you, has been saying this for 4 years now. Why so angry?
                          MJ, stop posting how good your GPS Ponzi scheme is. You prey on the weak and clueless (and there are lots to prey on in Oregon)

Comment

There’s still GPS teams here locally?

Who knew?

Comment

MJ, stop posting how good your GPS Ponzi scheme is. You prey on the weak and clueless (and there are lots to prey on in Oregon)
                              People are jealous....they know MJ is a big time coach and they aren’t. Always easy to spot the ECNL coach’s they never played at the top level. Pathetic!

Comment

People are jealous....they know MJ is a big time coach and they aren’t. Always easy to spot the ECNL coach’s they never played at the top level. Pathetic!
                                Thanks for the input MJ’s mom. I hope you have a great Sunday

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X