Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don't know, whatever they call that thing Jo is using to steal Westside players.
    Are we all supposed to know this JO character? Can you be any less clear in your "help"?

Geez, I'm trying to get a little info and you seem to know *something* but are unable to share ir properly. Why are you on here anyway?

Comment

Are we all supposed to know this JO character? Can you be any less clear in your "help"?

Geez, I'm trying to get a little info and you seem to know *something* but are unable to share ir properly. Why are you on here anyway?
      Jo = Joaquim Capuia, the owner of the training organization Futeboltraining, and the director of coaching at the club Academia de Futeboltraining (ADF). Apparently used to work for Westside. The LASC ADF BU11 team won State last year, beating Westside 1-0.

Note: By providing this info, which is publicly available, I'm not endorsing (or refuting) the charge that ADF or Mr. Capuia has been "stealing" players from Westside or any other club, or otherwise engaged in unethical behavior. Clubs are entitled to recruit players from other clubs; and players at pay-to-play clubs (that includes Westside) have no obligation to the teams other than payment of club fees. Players who wish to quite can quit (and join new teams midseason, as long as their old club's fees are paid); and players have no obligation to remain with a club year after year.

Comment

Sorry, I was being a smartass. Other poster answered it well.

Comment

Jo = Joaquim Capuia

Note: By providing this info, which is publicly available, I'm not endorsing (or refuting) the charge that ADF or Mr. Capuia has been "stealing" players from Westside or any other club, or otherwise engaged in unethical behavior. Clubs are entitled to recruit players from other clubs; and players at pay-to-play clubs (that includes Westside) have no obligation to the teams other than payment of club fees. Players who wish to quite can quit (and join new teams midseason, as long as their old club's fees are paid); and players have no obligation to remain with a club year after year.

Your Note: sums up everything that's whacked out with today's parents and society at large in youth sports.

Things that use to guide our behavior and actions as society and community are no longer relevant, que Jo:

Ethics

Class

Professional Courtesy

Loyalty (friends/teammates/coaches/families)

Commitment

Fair Play

Honesty

Conscience

Respect

History of achievement and standing in community

Leadership

Education

Friendship

Character

Integrity

Humility

Thanks for providing your Note:

& I understand you will just keep my money if I leave, I'm fine with that.

Comment

Your Note: sums up everything that's whacked out with today's parents and society at large in youth sports.

Things that use to guide our behavior and actions as society and community are no longer relevant, que Jo:

Ethics

Class

Professional Courtesy

Loyalty (friends/teammates/coaches/families)

Commitment

Fair Play

Honesty

Conscience

Respect

History of achievement and standing in community

Leadership

Education

Friendship

Character

Integrity

Humility

Thanks for providing your Note:

& I understand you will just keep my money if I leave, I'm fine with that.
            FWIW, I'm speaking as a legal matter, and largely agree with you on the importance of the above. (As I said, I'm neither defending or attacking Joaquim; I don't know him and I don't have first-hand knowledge of what has ticked people off).

OTOH, as a parent, if I'm paying the bill, I view youth soccer clubs as businesses vying for my patronage--and reserve my right to take my business elsewhere. And consider any invocations of Mom and Apple Pie on the part of soccer coaches as to why I ought to remain with one team, to be a rogue's argument.

(And as a parent, I personally won't be keeping anything--but pretty much every classic club I'm aware of has a one-year commitment--if you bolt without paying, they can and frequently will pull your card. Many will give partial refunds if a player is hurt or moves away, but not for "I don't like the coach" or "club down the street is recruiting me").

Comment

FWIW, I'm speaking as a legal matter, and largely agree with you on the importance of the above. (As I said, I'm neither defending or attacking Joaquim; I don't know him and I don't have first-hand knowledge of what has ticked people off).

OTOH, as a parent, if I'm paying the bill, I view youth soccer clubs as businesses vying for my patronage--and reserve my right to take my business elsewhere. And consider any invocations of Mom and Apple Pie on the part of soccer coaches as to why I ought to remain with one team, to be a rogue's argument.

(And as a parent, I personally won't be keeping anything--but pretty much every classic club I'm aware of has a one-year commitment--if you bolt without paying, they can and frequently will pull your card. Many will give partial refunds if a player is hurt or moves away, but not for "I don't like the coach" or "club down the street is recruiting me").
              OP here: Great comment and thank you for the info.

("Rogues argument" will now be reserved for the name of my fantasy rock-n-roll band.)

Comment

Life lessons more important than LEGAL doctrine

FWIW, I'm speaking as a legal matter, and largely agree with you on the importance of the above. (As I said, I'm neither defending or attacking Joaquim; I don't know him and I don't have first-hand knowledge of what has ticked people off).OTOH, as a parent, if I'm paying the bill, I view youth soccer clubs as businesses vying for my patronage--and reserve my right to take my business elsewhere. And consider any invocations of Mom and Apple Pie on the part of soccer coaches as to why I ought to remain with one team, to be a rogue's argument. (And as a parent, I personally won't be keeping anything--but pretty much every classic club I'm aware of has a one-year commitment--if you bolt without paying, they can and frequently will pull your card. Many will give partial refunds if a player is hurt or moves away, but not for "I don't like the coach" or "club down the street is recruiting me").

I'm sorry but when did local non-profit kiddie youth soccer clubs that are community based, morph into a business vying for your patronage?

Youth team sports/clubs provide a platform for your child to learn, grow & develop in the sphere of team sports with mentors and friends in your local community.

For you to suggest it's like deciding between a Big Mac or Whopper and making your choice based on whether you like better the appeal of marketing recruiting efforts of the McBurglar or the 'Burger King' , informs me that you don't have a clue why your kid is in team or local community club sports.

These are non-profit, mission based, volunteer-centric community clubs, that you should be vying to help with your time and energy to improve the experience for the local youth participant.

Instead you are concerned with a trivial aspect such as a partial refund?

Maybe you got confused believing that individual private training, which is a niche solo business enterprise has some sort of correlation with non profit community based youth soccer clubs.

or maybe that's how some got sold.

Enjoy this lunacy.

Comment

I'm sorry but when did local non-profit kiddie youth soccer clubs that are community based, morph into a business vying for your patronage?

Youth team sports/clubs provide a platform for your child to learn, grow & develop in the sphere of team sports with mentors and friends in your local community.

For you to suggest it's like deciding between a Big Mac or Whopper and making your choice based on whether you like better the appeal of marketing recruiting efforts of the McBurglar or the 'Burger King' , informs me that you don't have a clue why your kid is in team or local community club sports.

These are non-profit, mission based, volunteer-centric community clubs, that you should be vying to help with your time and energy to improve the experience for the local youth participant.

Instead you are concerned with a trivial aspect such as a partial refund?

Maybe you got confused believing that individual private training, which is a niche solo business enterprise has some sort of correlation with non profit community based youth soccer clubs.

Enjoy this lunacy.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Great joke! (You forgot the little winky icon to let everyone know you were just being sarcastic!)

Comment

When they act like one? Full-year nonrefundable (except in unusual circumstances) commitments, pressure to sign before knowing it's a good fit. Note well that I'm talking about most classic clubs (most if not all of which are nonprofit, I realize), places that charge thousands of dollars to play at.

Nobody disputes that.

No, it's not like a trivial purchase such as buying a hamburger. It's an investment. It's like choosing the Honda vs the Toyota. And if I buy a car and it's a lemon, and the company doesn't treat me well, I'll be shopping elsewhere next time.

Some situations don't work out for some kids. Some clubs have different developmental philosophies; and there's even coach-to-coach variation. (And yes, some parents will believe hype about who has the best training and coaches--when teasing that out is very difficult).

I know quite a few families who have left my kids' club for reasons such as this. And--guess what? I support them; even though their children's talent would be welcome on the field. They need to do what is best for their kids and families, not what is best for the club. When it comes to having a noble mission, most local clubs are on equal footing.

And indeed--I do volunteer for my kids' club.

At some clubs that may be the case. Quite a few clubs will recommend trainers for those who want it. Some, like ADF, are outgrowths of training gigs. I'm not affiliated with ADF, so I don't much care what they do.

Enjoy this lunacy.
                    I do enjoy it! First tournament of the year this weekend. My kiddos are looking forward to it.

Comment

Since the child is playing the child will generally have an idea how they feel about the team the coach and his/her teammates, before you make any commitment for your child consider asking them and get there take on matters especially things to do with loyalty commitment strong sense of community and life skills. Because in the end they're just playing a team sport with other little kids it's not like they're purchasing a house or buying a car or making some hundreds of thousand dollars investment in a place to live they're simply playing the game they love with the other local Portland area kiddos for 3 - 12 months of the year depending on the commitment asked by the coach.

Letting go is hard for a parent not having the control to choose what they as a parent think is the best route in classic soccer in the Portland area. The fragmented disjointed unregulated nature of things in the club Market has given rise to absurd promises and delusions of grandeur by completely unqualified Street vendors selling nothing more than pipe dreams. Candidly weighing the opportunities as they relate to soccer is comical in this Northwest Market there isn't a special trainer now theit arr very few special clubs and most importantly the biggest reason none of this makes any sense there are a few very few special players.

What you fail to realize is these families are the clubs that's the point when familirs all jump around and Club hop you no longer have community-based pride or a sustainable club culture you have Vagabond yo-yos trying to get ahead and they can't even walk and chew gum at the same time.

It must be satisfying to volunteer your time and energy to your Club and have the Gratitude of all the other families exiting out the door, tells you how little they think of you and your beliefs. You must be the person that likes to put in a 40-60 hour work week, not get paid and let the other employees just go on paid vacation while you toil for nothing you sound like a real intelligent species.

No Club of any Merit in the last 40 years has ever been the outgrowth of one person's capitalistic endeavor to privately train seven.eight, nine and 10 year olds and have that become a sustainable community based Club.

They usually call that kind of enterprise a hair salon or beauty parlor as they have enough clients to have a sustainable independent private capitalist business providing a service for individuals.

Enjoy your first tournament watching your child is it a wrestling tournament, a badminton tournament a tennis tournament, rock climbing or swimming maybe a golf tournament it isn't a team tournament.

Comment

Since the child is playing the child will generally have an idea how they feel about the team the coach and his/her teammates, before you make any commitment for your child consider asking them and get there take on matters especially things to do with loyalty commitment strong sense of community and life skills. Because in the end they're just playing a team sport with other little kids it's not like they're purchasing a house or buying a car or making some hundreds of thousand dollars investment in a place to live they're simply playing the game they love with the other local Portland area kiddos for 3 - 12 months of the year depending on the commitment asked by the coach.

Letting go is hard for a parent not having the control to choose what they as a parent think is the best route in classic soccer in the Portland area. The fragmented disjointed unregulated nature of things in the club Market has given rise to absurd promises and delusions of grandeur by completely unqualified Street vendors selling nothing more than pipe dreams. Candidly weighing the opportunities as they relate to soccer is comical in this Northwest Market there isn't a special trainer now theit arr very few special clubs and most importantly the biggest reason none of this makes any sense there are a few very few special players.

What you fail to realize is these families are the clubs that's the point when familirs all jump around and Club hop you no longer have community-based pride or a sustainable club culture you have Vagabond yo-yos trying to get ahead and they can't even walk and chew gum at the same time.

It must be satisfying to volunteer your time and energy to your Club and have the Gratitude of all the other families exiting out the door, tells you how little they think of you and your beliefs. You must be the person that likes to put in a 40-60 hour work week, not get paid and let the other employees just go on paid vacation while you toil for nothing you sound like a real intelligent species.

No Club of any Merit in the last 40 years has ever been the outgrowth of one person's capitalistic endeavor to privately train seven.eight, nine and 10 year olds and have that become a sustainable community based Club.

They usually call that kind of enterprise a hair salon or beauty parlor as they have enough clients to have a sustainable independent private capitalist business providing a service for individuals.

Enjoy your first tournament watching your child is it a wrestling tournament, a badminton tournament a tennis tournament, rock climbing or swimming maybe a golf tournament it isn't a team tournament.
                        A lot of what you say I agree with--that said, a lot of it is mom and apple pie. Club culture is important; and sometimes you encounter destructive parents. (There are far worse things than club-hopping).

But some situations just go bad; some relationships just don't work. There's a difference between parents who put their kids on a different club every year; and those who simply walk away from a bad situation but usually stick around. Even if you stay with the same club, teams change from year to year as kids get promoted (or demoted) at tryouts; most of my SS's teammates are different than those he had last year, even though it's the same club, and most of the kids were with the club last year.

And if someone were to quit the team, I wouldn't take it at all personally. But part of being a volunteer is, yes, not getting any money for a fair bit of hard work. I'm doing it anyway. If I'm a sucker, so be it.

Whether ADF will survive long term or not, I don't know. They have a somewhat different business model than the longstanding clubs--including essentially ingesting LASC (I'm still not clear on the exact relationship between the two--is "LASC ADF" kids at LASC who train with Joaquim? What about "LASC Eagles"? LASC has traditionally been a Hispanic club, but ADF markets itself to everybody, and emphasizes Brazilian and African styles, not those of Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries). They also may be a bit too dependent on one local businessman whose kid plays there. They might leverage a State Cup victory into a sustainable enterprise, they might not. Again, I'm not at ADF, so I don't worry about them terribly much--but it sounds like someone's team may have lost players (and then later games) to ADF and is upset.

Comment

A lot of what you say I agree with--that said, a lot of it is mom and apple pie. Club culture is important; and sometimes you encounter destructive parents. (There are far worse things than club-hopping).

But some situations just go bad; some relationships just don't work. There's a difference between parents who put their kids on a different club every year; and those who simply walk away from a bad situation but usually stick around. Even if you stay with the same club, teams change from year to year as kids get promoted (or demoted) at tryouts; most of my SS's teammates are different than those he had last year, even though it's the same club, and most of the kids were with the club last year.

And if someone were to quit the team, I wouldn't take it at all personally. But part of being a volunteer is, yes, not getting any money for a fair bit of hard work. I'm doing it anyway. If I'm a sucker, so be it.

Whether ADF will survive long term or not, I don't know. They have a somewhat different business model than the longstanding clubs--including essentially ingesting LASC (I'm still not clear on the exact relationship between the two--is "LASC ADF" kids at LASC who train with Joaquim? What about "LASC Eagles"? LASC has traditionally been a Hispanic club, but ADF markets itself to everybody, and emphasizes Brazilian and African styles, not those of Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries). They also may be a bit too dependent on one local businessman whose kid plays there. They might leverage a State Cup victory into a sustainable enterprise, they might not. Again, I'm not at ADF, so I don't worry about them terribly much--but it sounds like someone's team may have lost players (and then later games) to ADF and is upset.
                          Losing players to a team is upsetting, but it happens, and the team moves on. It's Westside. They had plenty of players at tryouts, so I'm sure that the team will be fine.

As far as Jo is concerned, there could be a reason for his former club to be hurt that he went about things the way he did . Years ago, Cony hired Paul Goodrich and Paul asked that Jo be hired as his AC in training. Jo was a sweet shy kid-he also played for Westside. Paul spent a lot of time in Africa and Jo was one of his players . The coaches and families would later support and protect Jo during a nasty time; his brother got into trouble, was tried and convicted for murder. Jo himself, needed to stay focused-soccer helped.

A lot of time has passed and Jo has moved on to other opportunities. He's gone through a lot and is fortunate to have a lot of people to help him along the way. I wondered what he was up to lately.

Comment

Losing players to a team is upsetting, but it happens, and the team moves on. It's Westside. They had plenty of players at tryouts, so I'm sure that the team will be fine.

As far as Jo is concerned, there could be a reason for his former club to be hurt that he went about things the way he did . Years ago, Cony hired Paul Goodrich and Paul asked that Jo be hired as his AC in training. Jo was a sweet shy kid-he also played for Westside. Paul spent a lot of time in Africa and Jo was one of his players . The coaches and families would later support and protect Jo during a nasty time; his brother got into trouble, was tried and convicted for murder. Jo himself, needed to stay focused-soccer helped.

A lot of time has passed and Jo has moved on to other opportunities. He's gone through a lot and is fortunate to have a lot of people to help him along the way. I wondered what he was up to lately.
                            There was absolutely no reason to bring up the back story about his family except for you to insinuate that he was ungrateful and disloyal. Shame on you.

Comment

There was absolutely no reason to bring up the back story about his family except for you to insinuate that he was ungrateful and disloyal. Shame on you.
                              What are you trying to hide?

Comment

LASC is a Club, ADF is a private trainer-backed by a businessman

Just to chime in on this passage, LASC will survive as it's built on passion and community of devoted Hispanic families, they may struggle in the pay to play model but there will always be some type of incarnation of this type of membership in youth soccer.

As for the private enterprise, ADF individual training has emerged as an option for affluent parents to dream about getting ahead with skill training in Soccer. As long as someone is selling and someone is willing to buy what their selling; private training will be an option for supplemental income for financially struggling soccer devotees, needing a buck. To your point about teams or a club within ADF in the future, once the benefactors kids no longer is interested in oregon kiddie soccer or has grown tired the methods of his lackey's the plug will be pulled. Back to private training marketing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X