DA for 06/07 age group

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad we have so many experts here in Oregon. Clearly you all have it all figured out. We can all sleep easy now.

DA isn't for everyone and there are plenty of other options for your kids. Also, DA in Oregon is certainly not perfect and will go through some growing pains initially. But several of the clubs are running good programs and parents and players are seeing the benefit. Ask those involved what they think. Ask them if it feels like the same thing they were getting before. Ask them if it is the same thing, branded with a new patch. I bet most will advocate on behalf of the program.

And in year two I bet more players move toward the DA then move away from it.

Comment

For the current second graders who are coming out of Rec to join an 07 DA team next fall it will be a big change for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        For the current second graders who are coming out of Rec to join an 07 DA team next fall it will be a big change for sure!
        07s, not U7.

Next year, 07s will be fourth and fifth graders. One one hand, arguably a bit young for DA--many kids at this age are physically immature.

OTOH, I know some 07s and 08s who are flat-out good soccer players. Not early-bloomers who simply are bigger, stronger, faster, or more coordinated than their peers, but kids who are technically skilled at soccer, and some who are even tactically skilled as well.

I would object to the notion that playing DA at such a young age would become a requirement to getting into the pipeline (many kids who will grow to be fine players may not be physically or mentally ready), but having better (but age-appropriate) training can't hurt.

(Does the DA permit playing up?)

Comment

Just an FYI 07's are younger 4th graders and older 3rd graders.

2nd graders are either 09's or 08's.

Comment

07s, not U7.

Next year, 07s will be fourth and fifth graders. One one hand, arguably a bit young for DA--many kids at this age are physically immature.

OTOH, I know some 07s and 08s who are flat-out good soccer players. Not early-bloomers who simply are bigger, stronger, faster, or more coordinated than their peers, but kids who are technically skilled at soccer, and some who are even tactically skilled as well.

I would object to the notion that playing DA at such a young age would become a requirement to getting into the pipeline (many kids who will grow to be fine players may not be physically or mentally ready), but having better (but age-appropriate) training can't hurt.

(Does the DA permit playing up?)
            There are quite a few kids on my kids '06/'07 team who just want to play soccer all the time. These kids aren't big, in fact two of them are tiny (not just small, but behind in growth), but have great technical skill (which comes from constantly having the ball at their feet) and really great soccer IQ (which comes from watching EPL, Budesliga games every weekend, along with constantly getting on youtube to watch specific soccer players or skills). It's these types of kids who should be joining DA. Sure, they have fun playing some rec basketball in the winter, which is great for building other muscles and developing coordination/athleticism, but if they are anything like my kid, they're trying to juggle the basketball on the sideline.

For the majority of kids, even if they are top soccer players and would have no trouble getting onto a DAP team, DAP probably isn't the right place for them, because they really should have that clear focus on soccer before joining. If it's not there yet, let them play high level club and enjoy other interests. The focus may come later and they can join a DAP team at that point. Forcing DAP on a kid who is not mentally ready for a single focus will just end up making him resent the sport. I've seen this even at the club level, where some kids with a more rec mentality just don't enjoy playing, because club is more of a commitment than they are ready for.

To answer your last question, the best DAP clubs, those that are focused on development over winning, encourage playing up as a way to increase a player's rate of development.

Comment

Fine. None of it really matters. Same players, same coaches, same clubs, same development. The name or patch just keep changing. Just find a place where your kid is happy and go for it. Basically, they're all going to end up exactly where they would've with the old club or patch. Esse
              Results even suggest Oregon players are ending up worse off than before elite pathways like DA and Ecnl.

Comment

Results even suggest Oregon players are ending up worse off than before elite pathways like DA and Ecnl.
                Over time it's all about the same. There is no wonder pill. Until our best male athletes are choosing soccer over other sports, it won't change. Putting lipstick on a pig.

Comment

Over time it's all about the same. There is no wonder pill. Until our best male athletes are choosing soccer over other sports, it won't change. Putting lipstick on a pig.
                  Yes the problem is finding the right people to teach soccer the right way. Kids are making simple fundamental mistakes that are not corrected for whatever reason. Look at Seattle Crossfire for example how they move the ball around beautifully.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X