Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDA Winter Showcase

Serious question here. I know that I will get bashed. My daughter sucks, youth soccer sucks, I am a loser for being on here, etc, etc. All of that is out of the way. Here is the situation.

We (both my daughter and I) received separate calls from a GDA club. We are not current members of that club. They would like my daughter to play in the upcoming GDA winter showcase with their U18/19 team. My daughter plays for a U16 team, so this would be playing up at least 2 years.

Of course the club is presenting it as a huge opportunity, college coach exposure, etc. Possible option to join the team full time in the spring. However, when I pulled up this particular team's record, it is horrible. I mean major defeats in the double digits. The roster is small, but to be expected at that age. Coach is not really known.

My daughter would miss several days of school, 2 of her high school games, plus a club game that same weekend. That's a lot to miss and she already made commitments to those people.

I am leaning one way. My daughter is still thinking about it. For those relatively few sane and coherent people still on TS, what are your thoughts on this option? Is the upside better than the downside? I am asking for a few decent opinions, a sounding board really. Obviously, I am not asking TS readers to make a decision. Basically, what would you do? Or perhaps your daughter is in a similar situation.

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Serious question here. I know that I will get bashed. My daughter sucks, youth soccer sucks, I am a loser for being on here, etc, etc. All of that is out of the way. Here is the situation.

We (both my daughter and I) received separate calls from a GDA club. We are not current members of that club. They would like my daughter to play in the upcoming GDA winter showcase with their U18/19 team. My daughter plays for a U16 team, so this would be playing up at least 2 years.

Of course the club is presenting it as a huge opportunity, college coach exposure, etc. Possible option to join the team full time in the spring. However, when I pulled up this particular team's record, it is horrible. I mean major defeats in the double digits. The roster is small, but to be expected at that age. Coach is not really known.

My daughter would miss several days of school, 2 of her high school games, plus a club game that same weekend. That's a lot to miss and she already made commitments to those people.

I am leaning one way. My daughter is still thinking about it. For those relatively few sane and coherent people still on TS, what are your thoughts on this option? Is the upside better than the downside? I am asking for a few decent opinions, a sounding board really. Obviously, I am not asking TS readers to make a decision. Basically, what would you do? Or perhaps your daughter is in a similar situation.

Thank you in advance.
    Reading the post, the only plus I saw communicated was the presence of the college coaches. Everything else was presented as a negative.

So i would say, if a school or two that your player is interested in will be at the showcase and is willing to come see her lay, then maybe go. Otherwise why?

Comment

Reading the post, the only plus I saw communicated was the presence of the college coaches. Everything else was presented as a negative.

So i would say, if a school or two that your player is interested in will be at the showcase and is willing to come see her lay, then maybe go. Otherwise why?
      meant see her play obviously.

Comment

I agree with this post. Only reason is if your daughter is being recruited by some schools, those schools are attending, and agree to come see her play.

Comment

other reason would be if she does want to join this team, then maybe yes - go and play with your new team. But if bailing on your prior commitments will be a problem for the HS team, then no.

Comment

Sorry if my post came across as negative. I guess that gives away which direction I am leaning. I am keeping it objective for my daughter. It is her decision to make. I can only provide her with the means to make it happen.

Adding to your comment, thank you by the way, she is early in the recruiting process. She has made some contacts, but nothing serious. In my eyes, she is the greatest player out there. But I'm her dad. In reality and from her coach evaluations, I know she is a decent above-average player. I don't believe she is a rock star to be grabbed by a top 10 D1 school, at least not today, but has a chance to play some good college soccer.

As you can tell, I'm not sure it is a good fit to cancel the previous commitments, miss school, and to play on a team that most likely will be ignored at the showcase. I may be wrong, but I guess that is why I'm looking for some other viewpoints.

Comment

Sorry if my post came across as negative. I guess that gives away which direction I am leaning. I am keeping it objective for my daughter. It is her decision to make. I can only provide her with the means to make it happen.

Adding to your comment, thank you by the way, she is early in the recruiting process. She has made some contacts, but nothing serious. In my eyes, she is the greatest player out there. But I'm her dad. In reality and from her coach evaluations, I know she is a decent above-average player. I don't believe she is a rock star to be grabbed by a top 10 D1 school, at least not today, but has a chance to play some good college soccer.

As you can tell, I'm not sure it is a good fit to cancel the previous commitments, miss school, and to play on a team that most likely will be ignored at the showcase. I may be wrong, but I guess that is why I'm looking for some other viewpoints.

Here is the list of colleges signed up to attend as of now if it helps your decision. Ultimately, do what is best for your daughter and your family. If someone is asking her to play two year up, I would imagine they see something in her that may not be evident to you now.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/2017-da-ws...-attendee-list

Comment

For real progress with college I think you need to be very targeting with your showcasing. It is on you to contact schools and get them to your game. Don't go to a showcase to just try to attract the interest of some random coach.

But anyone could go play in a showcase just for fun if time and money were no object.

Comment

For real progress with college I think you need to be very targeting with your showcasing. It is on you to contact schools and get them to your game. Don't go to a showcase to just try to attract the interest of some random coach.

But anyone could go play in a showcase just for fun if time and money were no object.
                  OP - does your D's current team participate in multiple showcase events where she can be seen by colleges of interest? (check the websites of events you know your club goes to - there's usually a coach list). Take a look at the GDA site as well. If your kid's team will offer her ample exposure it may not be worth it.

The other thing to consider is she'd be playing for a team she doesn't know and they don't know her. The coach has no loyalty to your daughter. He may not play her much (fresh legs sub if at all), she might be put in a less than optimal position, she won't know the players and their skill level, other players may not communicate well with her etc. In other words there's plenty of risk that she won't show well. Once that happens in front of a coach kiss that school goodbye.

Comment

I'm going to give you the same advice I give my daughter. If the teams you'll be playing against have some quality players there may be scouts looking at them. Depending on your performance vs those players, you could make an impression and open some doors for the future. You never know who could be watching.

Comment

I'm going to give you the same advice I give my daughter. If the teams you'll be playing against have some quality players there may be scouts looking at them. Depending on your performance vs those players, you could make an impression and open some doors for the future. You never know who could be watching.
                      Or to the point above yours, she could show poorly. She won't be playing with her regular team so the risks are there. As she's playing in the oldest age group, almost everyone should be recruited already so coach attendance will probably be low. Coaches are looking for future recruits, HS seniors. Plus coaches come to see specific players; they are not window shopping. If OP goes this route his D must contact coaches ahead of time to get them to come. Make sure it is very clear with the coach when she will be playing (starting?). Coaches don't stay for entire games because they have a lot of players to see. If your kid doesn't play at that time the opportunity is missed.

Comment

To the OP:
                        You were very smart about the way you asked your questions, and you are actually getting good advice on a site usually overrun with haters and trolls. Need more of this on TS.

Good luck to your daughter whichever way she decides.

Comment

Agree! Good advice! To the OP...I would still be 50/50...but I might lean towards the exposure and build her resume with this call up.

Comment

OP here. Thanks to everyone for their opinions so far. Several points of view were provided that I did not consider. It has been a very cordial exchange. It is really appreciated.

One follow-up question...

As a DP in GDA, which is how my daughter will be rostered, is it necessary to withdraw from high school soccer? I have read the USSF rules and it appears to mention only full-time players.

Comment

OP here. Thanks to everyone for their opinions so far. Several points of view were provided that I did not consider. It has been a very cordial exchange. It is really appreciated.

One follow-up question...

As a DP in GDA, which is how my daughter will be rostered, is it necessary to withdraw from high school soccer? I have read the USSF rules and it appears to mention only full-time players.
                              DPs are allowed to participate fully in HS and continue practicing with DA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X