Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm not really a big fan of either, but I like your argument even less.

Feel free to apply your logic to any other youth coach of your liking and then try to reconcile what their list of "wildly successful" players looks like with what you said in your post about JD and LL.
    Then define what a best coach is.

Is it a player developer like LL claims to be? If that’s the benchmark then we should be seeing a whole bunch of her former players lighting it up on high level teams. If memory serves me she has maybe had 1 player who seems to fit that bill. Hardly a ringing endorsement of a supposed player development superstar.

Or is it a club coach who wins a lot of lopsided low level club games like JD? That guy literally had what most argued was the “best” talent in the state for almost a decade and yet he was never really able to win anything once he got beyond the confines of New England and usually the players he coaches end up to be duds once they get to college. Is that the definition of a great coach?

What’s your definition? Most of the coaches around here suck which is why the soccer in this area is producing lesser and lesser quality soccer players with each passing year.

Comment

Is it a player developer like LL claims to be? If that’s the benchmark then we should be seeing a whole bunch of her former players lighting it up on high level teams. If memory serves me she has maybe had 1 player who seems to fit that bill. Hardly a ringing endorsement of a supposed player development superstar.

Or is it a club coach who wins a lot of lopsided low level club games like JD? That guy literally had what most argued was the “best” talent in the state for almost a decade and yet he was never really able to win anything once he got beyond the confines of New England and usually the players he coaches end up to be duds once they get to college. Is that the definition of a great coach?

What’s your definition? Most of the coaches around here suck which is why the soccer in this area is producing lesser and lesser quality soccer players with each passing year.
      It's like a broken record. These criticisms don't even make sense. Go back under your rock.

Comment

It's like a broken record. These criticisms don't even make sense. Go back under your rock.
        You all pay far too much attention to coaches.
        It is the player that rises to the top. Or not.
        A little technical instruction, a little tactical info and the rest is hard work and dedication.
        Coaches job is to instruct players and set a style of play for a squad. They should be judged by their success at those aspects.
        Individual stars get there by themselves and many times, with their mom and dad

Comment

When you're done moving the goal posts, feel free to actually respond to my post.

Comment

You all pay far too much attention to coaches.
            It is the player that rises to the top. Or not.
            A little technical instruction, a little tactical info and the rest is hard work and dedication.
            Coaches job is to instruct players and set a style of play for a squad. They should be judged by their success at those aspects.
            Individual stars get there by themselves and many times, with their mom and dad
            Sir Alex would agree.

If you sliced up a pie chart for any player, the player would account for the biggest slice by a factor of many. That's a given. But to your point (and Ferguson's), whatever size the slice was for coaching, is it really ever an individual coach that owns that relatively small slice? Using examples we're all familiar with, I think the answer is no. Coaching is important, but be wary of the self-important coach seeking to take credit.

Comment

Sir Alex would agree.

If you sliced up a pie chart for any player, the player would account for the biggest slice by a factor of many. That's a given. But to your point (and Ferguson's), whatever size the slice was for coaching, is it really ever an individual coach that owns that relatively small slice? Using examples we're all familiar with, I think the answer is no. Coaching is important, but be wary of the self-important coach seeking to take credit.
              Of course, coaches vary.
              Some might be better individual trainers while others might be more team chemistry types.
              But good point, above. We’ve recently seen a thread about bad-mouthing fellow coaches, and definitely look out for the credit claimers.

Comment

When you're done moving the goal posts, feel free to actually respond to my post.
                Here is your first post.

Here is a fun little holiday weekend thread for all the "experts" out there...

I see A LOT of coach bashing, CB, NB, JD, JB, FM, AP, PB, and a whole lot of other initials.

How about the good coaches? Rather than shaming, how about a little bit of praising?

Aaaaaaaaaaand go...
                My question certainly seems in line. How do you define what a good coach is? Personally what I look for first is someone who is in it more for my kid's sake than their own. That gets coaches like JD and FM crossed off my list right away. The next thing I look for is someone who knows how to engage with a young person in a healthy way and not turn the process into some sort of job or life or death situation when the kids are 10 years old. Next I look for a teacher, someone who not only knows the sport but also knows how to teach it. Lastly I look for a coach that knows how to manage a bunch of nutty club parents while challenging their kids to be more than they think they can be so the team can win a few soccer games along the way. Give me a few examples from around here that are still active in club soccer and I'll be more than happy to engage in that conversation. The problem is I haven't seen much of that over the last few years.

Comment

Here is your first post.

My question certainly seems in line. How do you define what a good coach is? Personally what I look for first is someone who is in it more for my kid's sake than their own. That gets coaches like JD and FM crossed off my list right away. The next thing I look for is someone who knows how to engage with a young person in a healthy way and not turn the process into some sort of job or life or death situation when the kids are 10 years old. Next I look for a teacher, someone who not only knows the sport but also knows how to teach it. Lastly I look for a coach that knows how to manage a bunch of nutty club parents while challenging their kids to be more than they think they can be so the team can win a few soccer games along the way. Give me a few examples from around here that are still active in club soccer and I'll be more than happy to engage in that conversation. The problem is I haven't seen much of that over the last few years.
                  I agree 100%. There's probably one coach on the previous list that cares more about the players than their own ego and self gratification.

Comment

And the bashing returns...

People took the bait, and this is what happens...

Comment

Here is your first post.
                      Nopety nope.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X